passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

New TV

retroed

24 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

or some reason tho 30fps gaming looks like shit on this, tried FFVII Remake on PS4 and it renders each frame too fast and you don't get the motion blending that a laggy LCD will give you. That could be annoying for consoles. So will spend more time figuring out this stuff.

This is one thing I hate my OLED for. Anything below 60 looks juddery. Including TV and films, especially when doing slow panning shots. Or if there’s a something small moving fast it looks like it’s skipping across the screen. Over the couple of years I’ve had it I’ve gotten more used to it though where it doesn’t really bother me anymore. For reference, after many hours of messing with the trumotion settings I have mine set to Dejudder 4, deblur 2. That’s where I think the best compromise is. See what you think. Make sure 24fps compatable option is on too. 

Surprised you don’t think much to HDR  and the colour depth in general though. I think it’s incredible. Have you tried any Dolby Vision stuff yet? That’s basically HDR where you don’t have to worry about settings and always looks the best IMO. 

There's just a lot to take in there that I don't fully get yet, I don't know what the dolby vision thing is yet. Also apparently I should have turned game mode off? Because it looks better turned off, but I guess now it will be laggier or something.

This will just be for slow paced console gaming anyway I don't need PC monitor responsiveness. It does look very good don't get me wrong but you know how hype can set up expectations? Also the game's I've tried have seemed to prioritise very high contrast to sell the HDR. I think REVII does look good with it, DMC5 imo kind of looks bad cause it's actually even harder to see what's happening due to how different it looks.

But the 30fps thing is something I have to figure out cause surely that is what a lot of console games will be at some point. I'm not a framerate purist but it actually turns FFVII into a slideshow, you can see the frames

This doesn't get into the fact that doing HDR stuff on Windows seems to be a bit weird and some games actually want you to turn Windows HDR off and just do it in the game, so I will spend more time with the PS4 first I think

The sad thing is I can't play FFXIV on this, there's just no way. It will ruin the TV lol

6 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Also apparently I should have turned game mode off?

Yep. Get it off. I don’t have it on and it looks loads better. I can’t tell a difference with the lag. Still manage to play fast twitch games like Titanfall 2, Super Meat Boy etc. With no issues. 

21 minutes ago, Nag said:

doesn't matter now, I've made my decision

Is be interested to here how the QLED performs with motion. I might consider one again when it’s time if it’s a lot better in that department. 

The 30fps thing is imo a pretty shocking flaw that's hard to defend. Sort of limiting yourself from playing lots of games with that, there's no way 60fps will forever be a standard and there's lots of older stuff locked to 30. Unless everyone buys these TVs so less than 60fps is literally unplayable for everyone

But I have my monitor, I will play 30fps stuff on that I guess. 

8 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

The 30fps thing is imo a pretty shocking flaw that's hard to defend.

I’m really surprised a bigger deal isn’t made about it to be honest. No reviews I read mentioned it if they did said “the excellent motion settings resolve it” - they don’t really, they just reduce it. & when the GB lot spoke about theirs they never mentioned it either. I was really shocked by how bad it was at first. Was so close to returning mine at the time. From a bit of research I did it seems some people are far more susceptible to noticing it than others which may explain why it’s not mentioned really. But there’s definitely a lot of complaints out there if you google that specific issue. 

However I have gotten used to it now to the point I don’t really notice it and when I do it doesn’t bother me anywhere near as much. I find on 30 frame games after about 10 minutes or so I forget it’s a thing. Still very shit though.

@Nag does the QLED have VRR? That’s one thing that could sway to me LG’s OLED still when the time comes. Even if not, it’s probably something they’ll add in future. 
& what’s DSE? 

To those who don't know what the issue looks like, it's sort of like an extremely smooth chunkiness. Which won't make much sense, but when I swing Cloud's sword in FFVII Remake it looks like claymation. But not everything looks like that.

Really want that PC port lol.

In terms of HDR impressions I'd say that FFVII is the best thing I've seen on it so far tho, in terms of the colours and particle effects. But the fps thing is murderous.

I find it really hard to engage gsync on my pc with the TV. Sometimes it works but other times it says 'Fixed' on the green button thingy which can be used to detect if VRR or 120hz is on. I can tell it's off cause it's saying I'm getting 90fps in DMC but it looks really rough. This is more of a PC issue I think tho, the box the TV comes in says 'gsync' but the TV says 'freesync', which isn't gsync at all it's the AMD version (which is now the industry standard, but nvidia's solution is quite better still). I'm thinking nvidia cards aren't good at talking to the AMD VRR, or something like this.

This is the stuff that bamboozles me, where it goes 'do you want your HDR diggly wiggly or piggledly diggedly'?

OW4i3gS.png

I've been informed that the correct approach here is YUV420 (aye) 'limited' 10 bit? But there is also a 444 12 bit option, but apparently this TV is only capable of accepting 10 bit signals anyway. And so I get a bamboozle at this stuff

Also to add extra confusion there are PC and TV resolution options here and the TV one would not let me go above 60fps, so confuse

I did notice that it's a lot easier on PS4 (tho it only seems to do 8 bit, fwiw).

Anyway buying a PS5 is not an option with the semi conductor supply crisis, those things won't be available for another year at least I would bet. Sony can't magic that problem away

It could be placebo but I found that by turning off every single picture option that the appearance of a film I was trying out (Avengers Infinity War) improved a lot. I don't even think that 24fps film content looks bad on the TV at all, just 30fps gaming for some reason. So that tru motion thing went straight off cause it looked terrible and fake, now I think it looks good.

Not gonna be watching Avengers on this tho, just saw that it had 'Dolby Digital' on the apple store and figured watching ppl get snapped out of existence would be a good way to test things out. If there is judder during panning shots then that's a pretty minor thing compared with how globally awful the film looks with everything smoothed out all badly.

I can't get that VRR thing working at all though, if it really does require game mode to be turned on well that sucks.

Apparently Mass Effect Andromeda has dolby digital, but it is completely bugged on RTX cards. Is this ironic, I can't tell. 

11 hours ago, Nag said:

Soap opera effect... it's fucking awful

My brother in law works for Currys, so has a pretty steady rotation of massive, fancy tellys. They always have it set up so it has this soap opera effect on the screen and it is the most distracting thing ever. They can't see it though.

The judder would probably be apparent if I play the same scenes back on two different TVs, but it's just I find the 'SFE' so aggressively offensive looking. It triggers me because there's a very weird inconsistency where certain stuff is very smooth and other stuff is choppy as heck, there's like a scene in the film where a big spikey thing is rolling at captain america and it's all smooth but Cap is all hecking choppy. It's a dreadful aesthetic. At 24fps with no processing of the image it's all the same looking, therefore you adjust and it is fine.

In terms of HDR gaming I tried that Gears 5 and there's a scene early on in the first chapter where you're shooting 'juvies' in a dark tunnel and you have flashlights, I think the effect is super cool with how pitch black the tunnel is with all the bright light sources. I'm still firmly in the 'I don't really get it' camp with HDR with normal scenes but the pitch blackness of dark scenes and how that stuff works is rly cool. Also it seems pretty apparent to me that MS games are just better set up for HDR on Windows, I think a lot of the other third party stuff might be configured badly or something.

edit it's this scene I think, it's a hecking nightmare with SFE

8 hours ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

My brother in law works for Currys, so has a pretty steady rotation of massive, fancy tellys. They always have it set up so it has this soap opera effect on the screen and it is the most distracting thing ever. They can't see it though.

Thats what Cruise and Christopher McQuarrie were telling everyone to turn off. 

Before I ask this, this isn't a dig at anybody but what is the difference between a £1-£1.5k TV and a £3K TV? I'm guessing the latter is a 'flagship' model and the former is a more mid-range/budget model but is there actually enough kit inside to justify £1-£1.5k more for the flagship model?

The way my mind works is on price, so when I see OLEDs knocking about (not sure about the quality of some, but others like the famous LG CX and Sony K8/K8H have fantastic reviews) about for £900-£1.3k I think to myself 'why would you need to spend anymore?'. Then some of the bits I've read say the newer TVs have LGs new 'OLED Evo' screen and I've no idea what the fuck that is or if it would be a big improvement over the 'old OLED' screen of the CX etc.

On the peak brightness thing it is notable to me how many games have brightness dials that go all the way into multiples of thousands, which I assume is in units of 'nits'. The CX peaks at around 780 nits or something, which seems to track with the way I stop noticing the difference when turning that dial up to 800 in games. So lots of stuff seems very future proofed for extremely bright future screens like this evo thing you mention (which I'd not heard of until just now)

I'd also be of the view tho why a TV even needs to have such high peak brightness, I was testing Sekiro out and the scene with the castle on fire had me squinting a bit. For me the thing I remain most impressed by is how dark the screen gets, the fact that it literally goes pitch black is something I appreciate.

Is there anyone here with a VRR TV who has got it working with a nvidia card?

Actually, is there anyone here with a VRR TV who can comment on what it's like at all? Because I be hearing it's kind of weak on TVs, compared with PC monitors (something to do with flickering)