passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Turn-based vs RTS

Hendo

I did go rooting for the Advance Wars DS thread but it appears we don't have it anymore. I guess it went with the old site. Still, it opens the opportunity for a wider discussion.

So, after ages away I gave this another blast in the hope to see what all the fuss was about, but I just can't get into it. Hell, I can't get past the 3rd mission (yes you read that right). But going through the menus, determined to find something I could play, I came across a more real-time action-based mode and loved it!

So, what is it about me that can't click with turn-based? I just get destroyed by the CPU on early levels and the info that gets thrown my way about stats and stuff goes way over my head.

What's everyone's preferences here?

And more selfishly, can anyone help a brother out with some tips? :(

I haven't played Advance Wars DS yet (I really must try and pick it up for cheap). But I have played Advance Wars on the GBA loads - I think i've played it through a couple of times a few ears ago.

I think it's a great game, very well balanced. Almost like a puzzle game in a way as there sometimes is only one way to complete some of the levels -> if you make a few bad unit purchases early on, you kinda get overrun and end up treading water for an hour or so - until you get cheesed off and restart the map.

It's a game I would recommend, perhaps to people that enjoyed playing chess in their youth :-)

As for tips - build fast moving foot soldiers early and grab as many buildings as you can. More buildings = more cash = more tanks & helicopters. I always found that building loads of tanks helps.

The last good RTS that I played was Dawn Of War on the PC, everything in between that and Command and Conquer all seemed a bit samey = 1) defend base, 2) build lots of tanks, 3) attack enemy base, 4) wash rinse and repeat :-)

Having said all that I have just started playing Pikmin - it's great!

Ramble mode = off

Ah, see I've had much love (at least in my youth) for Command & Conquer and both Pikmins are indeed briliant games.

Maybe it is the chess thing - I can play it, but I just don't enjoy it and always get beaten. I think I just prefer my fighting to be a bit more action-based, I suppose.

I love Turn-Based in the most part.

Games like Disgaea and FF Tactics I can really get into and enjoy.

But, like Hendo, I bought Advance Wars DS, and just couldn't get into it. I found it too hard, and I just couldn't plan anything or get past about the 10th mission. I gave up.

I really like Turn Based games.

from Civilization to Fallout I've loved them all.

That doesnt mean I dont like RTS games. I played Dune 2 and all of the Warcraft Games and they are on my favourites list but I like taking my time to decide what to do next.

I also cant think how a RTS would work on a handheld. Even on a DS with it's touchscreen that can easily replace a computer's mouse. The screen is too small and you'd have to constantly move it really fast to see what's happening,

I'm more of fan of turn-based strategy games due to the fact that I can focus easier on the game without everyone moving. And I do love Advance Wars: Dual Strike. I'm just not that good at it. Anyoone got any tips how to complete the Crystal Calamatiy mission?

I'm with those who like turn based but didnt really get on with Advance Wars DS. I cant quite place my finger on why, but I think it's that they've added too many features to it. Maybe I'd have gotton into it more if I'd played the 2nd game, sort of like a stepping stone, but as it stands I really didnt like all the powers and team variables. That said, despite being tentative about the first game, it kept me playing for 12 hours solid.

In fact turn based rpg's are the only games (and football manager) that has that effect on me. Once you get hooked you stay for hours at a time, I think it's the one more go factor. Fights can last over an hour, then you just want to see what happens next, which keeps you there for another hour etc

I like this thread :D

Are we talking any system here cos I could drop a mention of a couple of good ones on the 360?

I dont have a preference I like both in equal amounts really but I do prefer my turnbased games on handhelds and RTS games on the bigger screen with a mouse.

As for good examples erm

Turnbased DS-

Advance Wars

Prince of Persia Battles

Age of Empires

Worms 2

Luminous Arc

Hoshigami

RTS DS-

Ecoris - is a must buy despite the japanese or wait on the us version next year

Heroes of Mana

FFXII Revenant Wings

RTS 360-

Lord of the Rings Battle for Middle Earth (best RTS game in ages)

Command and Conquer 3

cant think of any turnbased games that i know of unless Hero's of might and magic 5 is out on it which is ace.

loved all the advance wars games, thought they were brilliant. in a lot of situations, like rpgs, i prefer getting kicking peoples faces off in real time immensely to taking turns, but with strategy games i like having time to laugh insanely whilst i rub my hands together, planning my next move and really brewing up something dastardly.

i guess why is because it makes it feel much more tense and cerebral for me, trying to out-think the usually advantaged computer in an epic battle of wits, illustrated by war, is very exciting stuff

I've got a tip Hendo, try the original GBA version of Advance Wars. It's a lot easier to get into in my opinion, and while the DS version did add some extra stuff, in turn I think it took something away from the gameplay. Advance Wars GBA is pretty much as good as it gets for turn based strategy. I don't really play a lot of Turn based or RTS games, but Advance Wars is up there for me, it's fun and great for the pick up and play for 5 mins, or play for hours thing.

There are a few good'uns on the PSP apparently. Jeanne D'Arc being one I hear a lot of praise for, and Final Fantasy Tactics.

RetroEd wrote:

There are a few good'uns on the PSP apparently. Jeanne D'Arc being one I hear a lot of praise for, and Final Fantasy Tactics.

I've got both of those PSP games sitting on my game shelf, still sealed. :whistle:

I prefer turn based as with RTS I just end up geting in a mess & getting a headache. At least with turn based it gives me time to think & plan my moves. I got quite far in AW on GBA & loved it, although I've never been able to get into AW DS.:( That won't stop me buying the sequel though...

I love the mention that superAL and a few others made of pikmin as a really great real time strategy game, it just works so well, I think its because you arent playing it in the usual war setting.

I got all the way to the final mission of advance wars on DS and then just didnt have the enthusiasm to see it through, although I knew exactly what to do I just couldnt be bothered to spend an hour and a half to do it through, only to possibly lose and then waste the time spent.

One game that I was quite pleasantly surprised by was battles of prince of persia, on Centy's reccomendation. It wasnt perfection, and I could think of a few little things to add in to make it awesome. In particular I liked the ability to be able to overwhelm a unit with greater numbers and a better combat resolution (killing ten of theirs but only losing one of yours) and then being able to send the unit scrambling away. Factor in some kind of reaction from the rest of the army, as well as other reactions and it would be awesome. Id pretty much like a closely resembling version of Warhammer in electronic version, with all of the intricate battle rules and all of the clever ways of working that are involved.

I actually preffer RTS to Turn Based and the reason is soley a matter of patience. I cant be bothered to select Percy's Massive Sword Spank and double it with Ancient Jim's Bum Whip move via a menu system when I can dive in headlong and open up a six pack on my own with a combo of buttons and a heartful of fury.

Tales of Symphonia epitomised the RTS for me, fanstastic RPG with random battles, levelling up adn all done at my own pace. I just get bored with turn based games, even Paper Mario THD - as much as i enjoyed it - became a little dull halfway through because I just dont enjoy turned based combat that much.

thats the thing, I cant be bothered to combine shit to have to be able to keep up with playing the game. Its something thats meant to give you loads of choice in the game but in the end theres only really one combination you ever use so its pointless.

Tales of symphonia you say, I might keep an eye out for it. Its one of those things where I have to be in the right frame of mind to play a turn based massive game, but once im in the right frame of mind then its a really great use of time. Id say that real time probably wins most times for me, Pikmin being the shining beacon of the catagory.

Just to contradict myself for the amusement of others, i have to say i realy enjoyed Shadow Hearts: Covenant on PS2. Thats a turn based game where u have to double up and shit, but the difference is the gimmick of the game: The Judgement Ring.

Some cunt on Wikipedia wrote:

Essentially, the Judgment Ring is a circle with different colored segments and a rotating needle which is stopped by the player's input. When an action is chosen, the Judgment Ring is presented on the screen. Players then have to watch the rotating needle carefully as it rotates and hit the colored segments

This just made the whole turn base scenario a little more fun. That sort of thing FTW.