passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The new look site

Hendo

After a bit of fiddling (fnar) me and Centy have cobbled together this new look!

Plonk your opinions and annoyances/bugs here - we do know there are some things to fix, but for now the main thing is ready.

Personally, I think it looks miles better as I've been itching to ditch the ugly old look and get something that doesn't look like it's in tatters.

Looks pretty darn sweet!

One thing I've noticed is that when scrolling up and down the page, it jerks a fair bit? This seems to be the only site it happens on for me (doesn't do it all the time, mainly in threads)...

Also, the Caps used on the right for PM, Login Form etc, would look nicer not being all caps imo. Can we add different tabs on the left instead of the 'New' bit in grey and red, like boxes or something?

Excellent effort though, and w00t my 'Cube is in the banner!

Spot on, its definitely quicker too. The old one used to freeze up sometimes, now it works a treat.

I agree with Shin too, would be nice to have a slight space between the Latest Posts. Works fine at home but at work (for some reason) its hard to hit the right one...?!

Other than that tiny gripe, which I'm only making as I think I ought to try to say something contructive, its great!

Well done and thanks :)

I think it looks a whole lot more modern and up to date, I think that all of the random traffic thats been attracted to the site in the past might stick around a bit longer with this new look.

I cant beleive that it only took the two of you to do this its a great achievement.

edit: i agree with Ed about the text above the shoutbox not being in caps.

further edit: Theres now a contact area ?! is that incase anyone wants to send fan mail....man you guys have changed.

I can't read my pms. :( I've mentioned this to Ed in the shouty box & we're stumped. I sent a test pm to ed who received it & replied back, but I can't read it. I click on the icon to view it & nothing. :(

What browser are you using as Opera doesnt display that page properly i can still do everything but my messages are way at the bottom of the page. As far as i can tell Firefox 2 shows everything correctly.

Wow, so many things to respond to!

Firstly, cheers for the kind words! I thought you'd all hate it and insist we go back to the old one, which I was ready to do but after seeing this look the old one looked even uglier.

Secondly, I can't take all the credit.

It's basically a pre-made theme that I swiped and started to customise by hacking code blindly.....um, I mean, knowing exactly what I'm doing. Yeah.

Hence, the stuff on the right isn't quite right and the capitals will be fixed.

I get the occasional jerking Ed, but nothing that makes me go rooting through the code just yet. Consider it in my list of stuff to do, but not at the top.

Some stuff I know needs fixing is some of the fonts need the size expanding, and there's a bit of green left in the forum ready to be changed.

Can we add different tabs on the left instead of the 'New' bit in grey and red, like boxes or something?

On the forum, Ed? I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but the forum isn't finished as yet.

Also, I'm not convinced it's any faster and I can't see why it would be as it's just a new skin, really.

As for your problem Phoo, I haven't a clue!

I've had the odd message that for some reason you can't open, but it's only once in a blue moon.

Is this everytime? I'll send you a PM, let me know if you can open it.

Also, if anyone else gets this problem post here, also with which browser you're using.

I've tested it with the Wii browser and there's a lack of spaces inbetween words which is a bit weird, but as it only seems to be on the Wii browser it's only slightly higher than the jerking thing.

Sam, your powers of observation are weak - we've had a Contact page since this site began! Which reminds me, I need to put the Arcade back up.

Finally, full respect to Centy for his Photoshop skills with not only the awesome new logo (including Ed's modded Cube) but some other tinkering, and between the two of us I think we've done a good job so far.

I could have waited until I was 100% happy with it and it was finished, but once we were basically done, it was hard to look at the old version.

Phew.

Hendo wrote:

Can we add different tabs on the left instead of the 'New' bit in grey and red, like boxes or something?

On the forum, Ed? I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but the forum isn't finished as yet.

Yeah, the NEW icons on the left. I remember looking at the preview build and I think it had boxes that tied in with the look of the site a lot better, and were in grey/blue possibly? :)

EDIT: when replying to this thread I had this after I submitted:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /homepages/27/d151640545/htdocs/includes/frontend.php on line 93

The alternating grey and white?

Yeah, that was on the old one and it applies to folders, threads and posts, so every other is white and then grey.

I can fix it if you like? I was tempted to leave it like this and see how it goes but I should be easily able to change it back to how it was.

We've always had that error code Ed - it happens whenever you quote someone. No idea why.

UPDATE

I've now changed the fonts, when you put the mouse over a link it no longer goes bold (and therefore bigger), the titles of the stuff on the right has had the capitals taken away but made bold so it still stands out but doesn't look like it's shouting at you.

And the last of the green text (at least I hope) in the forum (the "first", "last" "next" bits) has been changed to black, unless it's a link, and then it's that Wii blue colour.

Next on the list is looking in the code for the Latest Posts bit and seeing if I can seperate the posts.

EDIT

And put the Arcade back in the menu. :)

Took some time but I fixed the Latest Posts thing so it's currently the same as it was before, but hopefully Centy can make something to replace the nasty little icon with something cooler.

Speaking of which, he changed the URL logo - that tiny image that goes next to the web address, and now we have a cool looking d-pad!

We're getting somewhere finally. :)

Everyone else has said enough, but I love the new look. Much smoother, much cleaner, more professional look, however I don't seem to be getting this miraculous increase in speed that everyone is talking about, the site still takes an age to do anything with me, which is why I barely ever post :P