passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth

DANGERMAN

On 07/03/2024 at 14:48, Nag said:

Seems like you lot are way in front of me...

🙋‍♂️I'm still in Kalm...

I beat this last night, some of the final chapters go on really long. Even with its flaws, I love this game, it's one of my favorites ever. It is so far beyond what Remake was, and it enlivens all of these characters and does so in a way faithful to their original representation while also addressing aspects which were underwritten (except Cid, who's Ted Lasso all of a sudden? Weird). It is a triumphant effort of a modern Final Fantasy game, so far beyond anything XVI, XV and XIII did, while at the same time it feels like it learns from the things done right in some of those games. With how much modern Final Fantasy has struggled in imbuing its titles with the same sense of grandness as its classic entries, it is mindboggling that this game somehow got made cause it does all of that. Albeit by adapting the middle bit of one of those classics and in doing so making it the only aspect of the game which doesn't feel 'complete'. It is impossible not to feel emotions with it if you like VII

But fuck, I hate its ending so much. It embitters me against everything the game does right. I guess that's how Mass Effect 3 people felt at release. I did not read any spoilers before release, so that's my raw response right now. Won't even get into it in a spoiler block until others on here catch up but man, I did not like it at all.

So far I've managed not to get the ending spoiled but the longer my playthrough takes the more I'm expecting it to happen in some completely random bullshit way...

3 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Pause watch history on youtube

I don't use YouTube that much so I should be safe on that one... it's Instagram I'm more worried by.

Dunno what part of this video I like the most tbh

Even though I'm not a huge FF fan Tifa's theme is one of my favourite video game tracks and it sounds amazing on piano

4 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

I beat this last night, some of the final chapters go on really long. Even with its flaws, I love this game, it's one of my favorites ever.

I'm a long way from playing this. Still haven't got around to playing remake. Following the thread tho, and thought I'd comment on this quote purely for how unusual it is to have a seasoned gamer say that about a modern game.

It's been doom and gloom about game development the last few years. Good on ya.

The cuts have been so severe in game dev that it makes sense there's been doom and gloom, and it's very difficult to make a game as feature complete as Rebirth in that kinda industry when these things cost so much to make. In fact was reading that apparently Rebirth is not selling very well in Japan, though part of that is due to PS5 also not selling well over there. 

I'm enjoying this, although as I'm on chapter 4 it's fair to say it hasn't really got going yet. I didn't intend to leave the Grasslands when I did, I just thought it'd be easier to get to a certain item on the map if I went towards something that turned out to be a couple of other chapters. 

I like what the game is doing with the story, obviously it's massively early days, but it seems like it's telling a good story. I do kind of hate how it's telling it though. It's like Kabuki theatre aimed at playschool kids at points, ultra exaggerated reactions of simple, toddler level emotions. You've been out of Aerith's sight, you have returned and she is giddily excited to see you. Barrett is better in this game, but still a simpleton, which doesn't fit because he's an idealogical terrorist, you think he'd have a bit of edge to him. Tifa is good though 

Almost 42 hours clocked and I'm part way through a visit to the Golden Saucer in Chapter 8... and that's where it'll have to stay now until at least Friday next week.

Have to say I'm surprised how much I like having Yuffie around, she's been genuinely funny at times... Tifa is still best girl though and happily she was who knocked on the door at the Golden Saucer.