passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

mmmark

18 hours ago, mfnick said:

A quick question, does the ascend ability mean a lot less climbing in this one? Playing BOTW at the moment and my God the climbing is so fucking slow and boring. Not to mention just as I reached the top of a pillar it rained and killed me. Fucking bullshit. 

Less climbing for sure, but there's still quite a bit of it so far in my experience, you still slip in the rain too, it's annoying.

2 hours ago, DisturbedSwan said:

Less climbing for sure, but there's still quite a bit of it so far in my experience, you still slip in the rain too, it's annoying.

It is also

Spoiler

fixable with new clothes

via what seems like an ENORMOUSLY long quest/task.

17 hours ago, OCH said:

Beat my first dungeon!

Considering who the boss was*, I'm assuming in spite of this being open world. This was supposed to be the first boss?

Reveal hidden contents

7 Heart containers now. Alongside some armour that actually means I don't immediately die when a stronger enemy hits me. One thing I remember doing in BOTW was seeking out the map completion (I did the same with Elden Ring, to be fair). Except now they've decided to be a little clever with it and create area specific obstacles that prevent you from knocking out every tower.

Man, I am still on 4. I can't remember how to get more, lol. I'll figure it out though.

51 minutes ago, Pikman said:

It is also

Reveal hidden contents

via what seems like an ENORMOUSLY long quest/task.

45 minutes ago, mmmark said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Press reveal if annoyed by rain. 

Cheers, glad to hear there's ways round it in this then, pleased the devs thought of a solution this time round. I think I'll opt for the clothes rather than the elixir though even if the former is harder to get, I want something permanent as it's a persistent annoyance for me, I know I'll run out of elixirs quickly.

Yeah

To be honest, you kind of have to be patient and curious with the game's systems and treat stuff like this as an interesting problem to solve or work around/work with. Rather than a purely limiting obstacle. It's hard to see a way that you can enjoy these Zeldas without approaching it like this. IMO

I'm glad there's solutions to get round it in this game, but I would've preferred the devs just turned it off as a QoL improvement, not everything has to be obtuse, just let me climb in the rain lol. I don't want to have to go and rest and wait for the rain to finish, it's just a waste of time, I want to climb what I want to climb right then and there.

Getting those clothes will be a priority for me once I try to figure out what the hell I'm meant to be doing and where I'm meant to be going, I think I'm finally heading in the right direction.

1 minute ago, DisturbedSwan said:

turned it off as a QoL improvement, not everything has to be obtuse, just let me climb in the rain lol. I don't want to have to go and rest and wait for the rain to finish, it's just a waste of time, I want to climb what I want to climb right then and there.

This.

1 hour ago, one-armed dwarf said:

hard to see a way that you can enjoy these Zeldas without approaching it like this. IMO

Maybe that’s why I bounced off it so much. I find that kind of stuff just irritating & time wasting rather than something interesting to problem solve. 

I am getting more from it on this attempt though (BOTW but think the same conversation counts here since it still seems to be a thing). 

There's plenty of other games that play with little consideration, we don't need more of those.  And if you're climbing all the time you're not considering other methods.  For a start there's sky towers all over the place.  With the dynamic world it makes you think of solutions, and in doing so it helps come up with solutions to other parts of the game because it puts you fairly consistently in that state of mind.

It's a total misuse of QoL to say you should be able to climb in the rain because the point is you make your own QoL.

Sorry I just think a lot of it is a waste of time still. My biggest issue tbh is still stamina drain while running. I’m totally for stamina while gliding, climbing, swimming etc. but when I’m just trying to run to a landmark making me stop every few seconds to catch Links breathe is just shit. Again, I can cook shit to negate it a bit but why create that extra bit of friction. Just means I have to fuck about picking mushrooms (which I may be nowhere near) then I have to fuck about cooking it. It’s just time wasting. The amount of time it makes you spend in menus is mad. It’s incredibly stop start as an experience. 

Im really enjoying the general exploration puzzles and shrines but just getting about is a real PIA. 

You mentioned the thing about running out of stamina all the time before but that just was never my experience with the game I guess. If you're on a lot of flatground, you should wrangle a horse. Or start a bushfire and use an updraft to get some air. Or make a boat if near water. Or just chill and take it slow anyway.

Like, the puzzle problem there is "it's taking me ages to get somewhere on foot, how do I solve this?". There's lots of answers provided in the game's world. It can't be stressed enough that these games are about adapting to the world and making yourself its master over time. Italics emphasis there is not to be snide or arrogant, but to stress that this is kind of the ethos of the whole game design, and a huge part of its appeal

Though tbh the menus in these games aren't good, I will grant that at least.

3 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

just was never my experience with the game I guess.

How? Genuinely. There’s so much space between stuff how did you not constantly run out of stamina while running when covering so much ground? I’m really hoping a horse solves it but I’ve yet to find one.

I didn’t know about the updraft thing though. I’ll give that a go. But again, it’s another time waste - select wood, light it on fire, jump up then glide. Just let me run & save that fucking about.  

6 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

The solution to slippery climbing IMO isn't elixirs anyway, it's shield surfing. Going up is harder but going downhill with momentum becomes easier.

I accidentally fused a rocket to my shield once.  Also a fun way to get around (also good for getting high quickly).  Stock up those zonai capsules, folks.  

8 minutes ago, mfnick said:

I didn’t know about the updraft thing though. I’ll give that a go. But again, it’s another time waste - select wood, light it on fire, jump up then glide. Just let me run & save that fucking about.  

The thing is, the bit in italics here is the game, and the bit in bold is you asking why you can't skip the video game.

Again, not trying to be a dick, but just to make the point a bit more clear. The game is about doing these steps and planning. It's about improvising, adapting, gathering and preparing.

The other thing is, these games are about discovery and as much as I like bragging about my discoveries I feel like a dick spoiling them so often. But honestly the first thing I'd say is it doesn't make a lot of sense that you are just running around everywhere. My memory of the early part of BOTW was building up stamina overtime to climb cliffs and jump off them. Not just running around and running out of gas all the time. 

Starting off, just climb to a viewpoint and look for shrines is all I'd say. Overtime you just build an accumulation of knowledge as to how to move Link around more effectively, while also getting stronger. To bring it back to the thread topic, TOTK only builds upon that even more. Its a deeper game, but fundamentally the same style

2 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Its a deeper game, but fundamentally the same style

This.

It reminds me of the difference in execution between OoT and MM. One game laid the foundations, the other built on it.

I was too busy during the week to play it so I just had my first session since last Saturday. I had left off standing outside the second shrine that gives you the Fuse ability. In Japanese they call it “Scrabuild” which, considering they love to combine words to make new words, is probably an amalgamation of scrap and build or something.

So I got that, which was fun. Been experimenting with that a lot. Combat wise I prefer to play Zelda sword and shield style so for the most part I’ve just been using it to put horns on my weapons to make them stronger, and rocks on my shields. But the larger weapons that have useful abilities are cool too.

Anyway, like everyone has said, this first island is really cool. Nearly at the third shrine now. So far I feel that the new abilities have really enhanced the game rather than detracted from it.

The Fuse ability is more of a highlight than I initially thought it would be. I did make a fusion that struck me as being so obvious, I don't know why I only thought of it several hours in.

Spear + spear = double length spear