passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Silent Hill 2 Remake

OCH

The last thing they mentioned, which was quite recently, was that they were “Polishing it off”. Which suggests it’s nearly finished. Yet there was not even a hint of a release date in that trailer. 

I’ve seen far worse looking games. But unfortunately, if it’s focusing on combat, and having James take on multiple nurses at once in some fights, they’re utterly missing the point of the original game. As GmanLives has pointed out on Twitter, one boss fight against Pyramid Head involved no combat whatsoever, you had to avoid him for 5 minutes.

James isn’t a combat veteran. He’s a civilian. Combat wasn’t what made SH2 the beloved classic that it is.

I can’t stand Bloober Team’s games, they’re utterly terrible. My heart sank when I saw they had been given this Remake. Which is why as much as I love SH2, and I legitimately do, I just can’t get excited about this at all. Because unless the team has dramatically improved, this has “fuck up” written all over it. 

Does the gameplay look abysmal? No. But it definitely looks dodgy. And if they’re increasing the level of combat from the original game, they couldn’t be missing the point more if they tried…

1 hour ago, DANGERMAN said:

It might just be that, with it being a trailer, they've felt they've had to make look more action packed than it is 

I hope this is the case, otherwise they have show them selves up as so called fans of the game, by missing the point of SH2 completely. And its certainly not the way to show a trailer to win fans of the original game.

Its hard to tell from the poor;y put together trailer, but looks like they may have at lease got the atmosphere and locatins right even if it looks graphically underwhelming.

I was all on board to give bloober a chance when announced but slowly retracting that decision. SH2 deserves a top end development team who understand the genre.

I don’t want to write this off completely, or sound like a miserable sod. And yeah, maybe there has been a more combat oriented focus in the trailer, to get more attention. A lot of people won’t have any idea what Silent Hill even is. 

I dunno. We won’t know til it’s finished, really. I just wish Konami had given this to someone like Bluepoint. 
It’s not to say a team that’s made crap games can’t bounce back. Rambo was bloody terrible, but then Terminator and Robocop were back to back bangers. 

Still, if anything was a “definitely wait for the reviews” game, it’s this.

I think what disappoints me is it just looks like SH2 in a RE4 template tbh. There's an aversion to fixed and trailing camera angles like the original had, not an unwarranted one, but camera angles are like an old video game's version of mise en scene. That bit in the first SH where you're running down the alley and it's all overhead and far away dutch angles stuff with the siren blaring, that is really stylish and cool. It communicates this sense of reality fraying that you don't know what to make of. I don't really want everything to be so tunnel visioned on the most efficient way to kill things, sometimes making things more awkward can be better in a game which is so much more carried by its sense of style than RE is

Look at how cool this is, game is 26 years old but what they do here is so cinematic in comparison imo

(btw I googled 'dutch angle' looking for some examples, that's pretty funny google, I laughed)

James' descent through the various holes in the prison. The framing and cinematics of each scene are both surreal and interpretive. A more action orientated game will have the player avatar jump down. Probably with a "cool" landing or quip afterwards. The atmosphere is key to the whole Silent Hill experience. I hope Blooper appreciates that.

The trailer's over the shoulder aiming shots really didn't give the right impression.

39 minutes ago, OCH said:

James' descent through the various holes in the prison. The framing and cinematics of each scene are both surreal and interpretive. A more action orientated game will have the player avatar jump down. Probably with a "cool" landing or quip afterwards. The atmosphere is key to the whole Silent Hill experience. I hope Blooper appreciates that.

The trailer's over the shoulder aiming shots really didn't give the right impression.

I mean I doubt they will give him quips. If they did though I will completely change my mind about this game and buy that crap day 1.

"Wow pyramid head, compensating for something?" *does a karate kick at him*

That would be brilliant

2 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

I mean I doubt they will give him quips. If they did though I will completely change my mind about this game and buy that crap day 1.

1 hour ago, AndyKurosaki said:

I hope James just does non stop quips.

44dbed1df8499342ce4e91f6e45cc2b01b3c62ae

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda reminds you a bit of the Kojima situation, where they were sticking their oar in a lot for MGSV. 

I still think the original trailer was pretty good, even if missing the subtle uniqueness of some of the original. It's shocking how far away that 2nd trailer is from what Silent Hill should be and easy to imagine that it was cut together by somebody completely clueless to its appeal. Hence the 'Resident Evil 4 remake at home' energy of it. If you've never played an SH you probably think that's what this series is