passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Silent Hill 2 Remake

OCH

Been reading headlines about this being "100% bigger" than the original... what does that even mean?

What are they going to do bar extend original areas? It's been years since I played this but as far as I recall it was a decent size anyway and I'm not sure I trust Bloober with fitting in too many original ideas.

Maybe I should've read the articles themselves and not just the headlines...😂

Considering Bloober team’s games have been absolutely shite, if they’re adding anything extra to the original game, I expect it to suck. 

My expectations for this are exceptionally low. If they can make something at least halfway decent, that’d be something. But their games fucking suck. So either they’ve dramatically upped their game. Or this will be bollocks. 

Apparently it's a quote by Dusk Golem, and he has a kind of weird way of stating things so being bigger could mean anything here.

I dunno though, there was also some stuff recently where I think they had an interview where they said this adaptation would be based on their memory of the game, or some weird shit like that. Implying some weird departure from the source.

I'm not sure what I really want out of this. I don't hold this game sacred or anything but it's a cool thing as is and I think the industry should move on from so many remakes (especially as tbh, I don't think SH2 is going to be the kind of name that's necessarily going to shift huge amounts of copies like RE4 would). Kojima's Silent Hill project looked so interesting. This I dunno

10 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

The map for Silent Hill 2 was pretty small, I think you could easily double it without it actually feeling especially big 

True. But to what end?

Padding for James' story? Or (as I've heard discussed) Laura, Angela and Eddie being playable? The latter sounds like a really, Really bad idea.

Playing as the other characters could potentially add some depth to them, if it was a studio that was trustworthy. However, Bloober 100% isn’t. So fuck knows what they’re doing with it. The fact we’ve seen naff all since it was announced means it won’t be out this year. 

6 minutes ago, AndyKurosaki said:

Playing as the other characters could potentially add some depth to them

Which is counterintuitive to their thematic presence in the narrative. The companion characters in Silent Hill 2 aren't exactly supposed to be an Ashley Graham. They are representations of larger themes. Angela.. Well you see what Silent Hill looks like to her. Eddie gets all the characterisation he needs. As for Laura. There has always been heavy debate within the fanbase over whether she is even real. The only character in the game with no last name and all that...

13 hours ago, OCH said:

True. But to what end?

Padding for James' story? Or (as I've heard discussed) Laura, Angela and Eddie being playable? The latter sounds like a really, Really bad idea.

Padding might be over egging it (it very much might not be too), but RE4 Remake had larger environments too without feeling like padding. Them making the bowling alley further away from the cells isn't what I'm worried about with this remake 

As I've said before, despite some of the duds the studio has produced previously I think writing off the game before we've even seen it in action is a little silly for me.

There's a lot of rumours out there and not much concrete info, so anything about multiple protagonists, map size etc. I'd take with a pinch of salt at this stage. I do think that the map being bigger isn't necessarily a bad thing though.

But.. Narratively, the whole impetus of SH2 that the game gets smaller and smaller, further removed from reality, until you hit That hotel room. Also, the mapped area of SH1 was in the original SH2 game. Just cut off by the usual crevasses in the roads. Yet, opening that up here wouldn't mean anything without the context of the first game.

I don't see the merit in having more buildings/streets to explore just for the sake of it? The reality is that you only spend a fraction of the game in the overworld. Because the plot keeps you moving from one set piece to the next. Which I would think is the ideal, when it comes to pacing?

Well for a start, there's a heavy use of negative space in Silent Hill 2. A lot of non-interactive streets and dead ends actually contribute to the lost and isolated impression. So increasing distance between areas can just be a different/altered way of achieving the same effect but in a less jarring way considering just how photoreal this take is. After all, these games used fog to hide draw distance limitations, which are less of a concern nowadays. But you also still want the fog, but maybe it reaches farther into the distance. These are artistic considerations that are more about preserving the original intention than bastardising it, sometimes the scale of things does need a bit of a change to keep it feeling the 'same'.

You've also got to consider the impact of camera angles, where SH2 bounced between controllable camera and fixed. In the remake it will be fully controllable, which can also affect the impression of scale and how easy it is to get around (much easier, and thus harder to get lost, but you want to get lost in Silent Hill)

Again we're purely speculating as to what's being said here anyway. But it's not like increased land mass means it will be littered with waypoints and secrets to discover. The game might be every bit as empty as before (which is the point). Which, as the walls close in later on in the story (as you point out), this can also increase the impact of that.

The fog was done completely differently/purposefully in SH2 to SH1, though. The workaround they always gave to you exploring the same town "but different" with every iteration was that the magic of the town personalises itself to the protagonist. Which is why "sexy" nurses and Pyramid Head should have only been in SH2. Since they were manifestations based on James' psyche. Also why the enemies of SH1 were all demons and shite. Because they were born from the nightmares of a child.

More so than any other Silent Hill. The artistic choices of SH2 set a mood. Running down a poorly lit hallway with chittering enemies scurrying along the floor. Trying every door for an escape, only for the iconic "the lock is broken". Did so much to increase the tension in what would otherwise be a relatively quiet and empty apartment building. 'Less is more' typifies this entry in the series. I'm not confident Blooper gets that. 

4 hours ago, AndyKurosaki said:

as I love SH2, and so want to see it done justice. 

I think the same of the Legacy of Kain series. Which is why I would rather they leave it alone.

• 6 months later...

New trailer

Reading earlier in the thread, sounds like I was giving this benefit of the doubt. But looking at this, I'd recommend anyone interested to consider trying the old game instead. It's more Jacob's Ladder than Dawn of the Dead (2004 Zach Snyder remake)

My hopes for this were absolutely zero, as Bloober Team has consistently made nothing but absolute shite. I wasn’t expecting anything even remotely comparable to the Resident Evil 2/3/4 Remakes. 
This, well it looks dog rough really. I certainly don’t recall James taking on multiple enemies at once.

This is most definitely a “wait for the reviews” job. “Pre-order Now”? Hahaha, no thanks.