passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Crisis Core - Final Fantasy VII: Reunion

one-armed dwarf

• one-armed dwarf changed the title to Crisis Core - Final Fantasy VII: Reunion

I played this through to completion back on the PSP and don’t remember anything about it. I remember it had a slot machine battle system but can’t remember how it worked. I remember the final shot of the game before the credits but can’t remember story details or context, I can just remember what it looks like. I remember liking this game but since I can barely remember it I guess I didn’t like it too much.

Dunno. Not excited about seeing it again but also why not I guess.

I have a relatively decent memory of what it is like, and I generally just didn't enjoy it much cause of how it felt to play, its repetitiveness and the new characters it introduced

On the other hand I really liked the soundtrack, the ending is excellent which I won't spoil out loud obviously, and Zack and good guy Sephiroth were cool characters to follow

Genesis mostly sucked, but we will have to get used to him I bet cause I would be very surprised if they didn't bring the character back in some fashion for the remake trilogy but that's just me speculating.

The famous ending spoilers

Spoiler

the way the slot wheel mechanic worked is you would get special attacks based on some sort of weird stream of consciousness Zack was having at any moment, which resulted in very annoying RNG combat. At the end tho while Zack is getting killed it keeps flashing up Aerith and eventually replaces her with a sillouhette 😢

That moment sort of saves the game, even though it's pretty average overall

I played maybe a little over an hour back in the day but... I think I just don't really like the SE action RPGs.  I think I played Kingdom Hearts around the same time and just bounced off them both.  I'm interested in the story, though, but maybe I just need to hit the wiki.

• 2 weeks later...
Spoiler

Since this has a subtitle will this be different like FF7R is or is this going to be a straight remake this time? Is there anything in FF7R which means this would have to change 

Spoilers to ffvii remake and Crisis Core

Spoiler

Well FFVII Remake ends with a twist of fate that apparently leaves Zack alive and likely to return in future installments of the 'core' FFVII plot. So it definitely feels like 'Reunion' is setting up a reunion between Cloud, Aerith and Zack

It would suck to change that ending tho, cause it's done pretty well with how the slot wheel stuff changes as Zack is dying. It might end up being a secret ending for killing a really difficult boss, like in FFX-2

But the game itself will probably just be the exact same, just with a different ending. 

All of this of course renders ridiculous the discussion of spoilers of the original FFVII wrt these new games imo, how the eff does anyone who isn't 'spoiled' parse this fucking nonsense lmao 🤣

• 2 months later...

I've a pretty good memory of the original PSP game (for some reason, I don't know why), and looking at that this looks like an excellent remaster. The combat is way more active and they seem to have taken the original FMVs and made them native HD

This game is peak 00s cringe, Genesis is probably one of the worst things they added to FFVII. Hope he's in Rebirth as well lol.

Spoiler

It's really weird to me how both remake and this are so casual about spoiling that Cloud was never in SOLDIER. It was such a big plot twist in the original game and they just spoil it now lol

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Those are higher scores than I'd expected for a game which was basically a 7/10 by PSP standards, which aren't high standards. That said the clips in that review seem to have some pretty radical changes to its combat, it has a posture system/interrupt system in it now where you can break through enemy shields and stuff. That definitely was not a thing in the original

Visually it looks very dark tho, and the details get lost in the flashiness. 

Square are also saying that people should really play this before Rebirth. Square's whole approach with this stuff is so weird to me, in that these games seem designed around the idea that people should be spoiled on plot events in the old games (VII and Crisis Core) before playing the 'remakes' of them. Like remaining 'pure' on them is a bigger spoiler (see the new player confusion over Remake's ending)