passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Fighting Game Thread

Maf

In very specific cases in some games probably yes, I played tekken 7 for all of 20 minutes and could do korean backdashes instantly with it. I don't even know anything about the game but cause of how it accepts inputs and the separation of the directional inputs you can just do it.

It's not cheating in guilty gear tho. 

You've also got to consider other aspects. Like the fact that your middle finger and ring finger do not have complete independence. Which makes relatively trivial seeming inputs like backwards quarter circles on the left side of the screen deceptively difficult to do reliably. 

Try to drum your middle finger and ring finger over and over, try to separate the ring and middle finger from each other (dont hit both at the same time) and take note of the comfort while doing it. It's not as easy and clean as it seems, certainly not as easy as index into middle finger, which leads to some people advocating not using the ring finger at all and skipping right to the pinky. That's a whole fun new muscle memory technique to think about. In my situation when doing double quarter circles in that situation, like with testament's succubus super, I end up doing this input with index and ring finger cause I'm not at that pinky level. But in any case it's a context switch

You've also got to take into consideration that the conversation around hitbox is based around more games being built around the controller, but some stuff in older games is a lot harder on HB and even in newer ones stuff like behemoth typhoons or any kinda 720/1080 inputs are not at all natural to figure out at all. Which is basically the main reason I wanted to learn Goldlewis next to develop that weird muscle memory.

I mean consider the weird finger dance that's required there compared to just doing it on dpad or stick.

I'm not entirely clear on if it's good or not for something like KoF, which has all these little hop movements in neutral. I found it a bit exasperating but then I don't have a good knowledge of that game in general

But yes hitbox is more accurate and an easier thing to get to grips with than a stick or dpad but I think people come into this with a pretty limited perspective based on a few specific cases, like the Korean backdash one in tekken, or this weird custom box which allows faster flashkicks and sonic booms and come to weird generalizations to make up excuses for why they are losing rather than being able to accept that they are actually shit and being ok with it

btw to make the example more clear, the KBD input is

maxresdefault.jpg

Very easy to do on hitbox

Don't ask me what the tech is for, i've no idea

• 2 weeks later...

So am I right in thinking that in 2023 Strive is coming to Xbox and getting cross play, DBFZ is getting rollback, and Street Fighter 6 and Tekken 8 are coming out

Is it going to be year of the fighting game? 

1 hour ago, Maf said:

Is it going to be year of the fighting game? 

Ironically, considering it is the 35th Anniversary of the series. That NRS seems to be omitting Mortal Kombat from that list...🤷‍♂️

Fighting game Twitter is upset because the guy who created Blazblue is leaving Arc sys 

Obviously have to click the tweet to get the translation and stuff

I’ve never played those games so doesn’t mean much to me. But a lot of others are mega disappointed. 

Because of the rollback news I pulled up streams of people playing Rev 2 for a bit to see how the game plays. It looks really good.

I then watched Maximilian Twitch video and it did a great job of putting me off lol. This game sounds ridiculous. 

EDIT: Or Xrd he is talking about. Xrd sounds stupid hard 

There's a lot of cool and diverse toolkits in both it and plus r. Like for instance ramlethal is more of a setup based char in this, Baiken is not straightforward like in Strive. You have completely nutty characters like venom, who kills you with snooker setups. 

Realistically not something I would stick with for long as it's an intense game to study and not sure how long it would last, but strive is annoying to me now and feels repetitive so worth trying at least.

Tbh, the only really thing in that video to stick out to me is different wakeup timing and how that impacts a character whos gameplan is fast furious ambiguous wake up pressure

The other thing is that the advanced stuff is difficult to execute for the other player also, so swings and roundabouts. The advanced technicalities of a game like this aren't worth pondering if the aim is to just fuck around for a month while RB is in beta. I also ain't character loyal enough to consider playing i-no. Someone said to me before that in plus r and xrd she is the 'fuck it, i won't need my hands later' character. She actually has complex combos in the old games

I'll just pick someone less crazy 

or who isn't in strive. But ye everything is harder to execute on in this game, I tried it before and the previous one. but its also way faster and crazy looking. It looks like a trigger anime, and plus r looks like ab anime heavy metal album cover

That said there's a bunch of things in these old games i would not like like the random clash mech in xrd and instant kills, which isn't really a thing in high level play from what I've seen but seems like a sort of dumb thing (but cool looking)

• 10 months later...

Impressions coming in on Project L

It's a 2 v 2 tag team fighting game which doesn't have motion inputs, but it sounds like it's still pretty deep and technical. You can play 1 player against another, or have 2 players control one character each and tag in. 1 v 2, 2v2, whatever.

Impressions are all sounding positive, but they flew these streamers out and paid for their expenses, so you know, grain of salt. But these guys know what they're talking about 

I like how the character with the orbs looks. I've found I like the idea of creating safe pressure with setups and stuff with JP, or stain state with Testament. Seems sort of similar (the player compares her to Happy Chaos)

Max did mention some stuff he didn't like, mostly as far as defensive mechanics go.

I think it looks cool and both Arcane and Ruined King made me somewhat interested in the whole LoL universe despite having zero interest in the MOBA. However, I am almost 100% confident that it's not a game I might enjoy playing. It looks like that Power Rangers game from a few years ago (Max even says that it's very similar) and while that certainly was a cool tag fighter, it's pretty much built and designed for people who lab mixups and strings 24/7 and I'm not one of those people.

• 2 weeks later...

EVO was this weekend, it's a bank holiday today so caught up on the SF stuff today cause otherwise I would have been up til 6am. Watched marvel, tekken and strive too. Marvel was inscrutable and people seemed pretty displeased that the finals were a 'zero may cry' mirror. Strive was the nago and happy chaos show, so pretty dull and uninteractive. That game badly needs something cause it's gotten so stale to watch and it's been like that for a long time now.

SF was really good tho, lots of extremely close matches exhibiting expert mastery of all those system mechanics. The reads, the risk calculations, you just learn a lot watching those dudes. Very impressive first evo showing for that game at that kinda level on a stage as big as that

It's one of the issues I have with watching the competitive scene, they all stick with "mains". The "top tier" of a given Fighter. To the extent it's boring to see. I don't expect people to throw a match with Servbot (MvC2) or Mokujin. But some variety is nice to look at.

Great Evo I thought. Street fighter top six was probably the best I've seen in terms of close matches, with only Haitani failing to keep the pace with the other young bucks (and Tokido 😄). And I did stay up til 6am to see it, although I nodded of during the final reset. Didn't miss the win, though.

Looks like there's something big around the corner, too - an invitational in Saudi with mad prize money. 32 top players are going for £400000 top prize with an other 600 thou shared out for runner's up. It's organised by Gamers 8, whoever they are. Looking forward to it.

2 minutes ago, Metroid66 said:

an invitational in Saudi with mad prize money. 32 top players are going for £400000 top prize

Eesh more sports washing from Saudi. Look at me using sports washing in context like I know what I'm talking about. Are you proud of me @DANGERMAN?

13 minutes ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

Eesh more sports washing from Saudi. Look at me using sports washing in context like I know what I'm talking about. Are you proud of me @DANGERMAN?

they're actually the majority shareholder in SNK nowadays iirc (and major shareholders in a lot of game companies). I suspect that's more about having revenues outside of oil, but still, becomes hard to criticise them if they own the tournaments that pay the big money, or own the games you play

• 4 months later...

Granblue Fantasy Versus Rising came out last week, it's a re-release of the previous GBFV game that kinda got turbofucked by being a FG without rollback right at the start of the pandemic. This re-release has rollback and what's more, it has a free to play variant with mode of the different modes (apparently custom rooms aren't in) which cycles in 4 different characters each week. So it's kinda a no-brainer to jump in and just try it out, and it's a great model for a game like this. A ton of characters in the full game too

It also has simple and 'technical' (motion) inputs. Either works fine, the game is designed around simple inputs actually rather than technical. If I stick with it I might put more thoughts in a thread. Anyway it's a lot better than DNF, but still very anime. Boob armour, flashy effects, choppy animations. That kinda thing

• 1 month later...

Dragon Ball FighterZ finally been dropped from Evo 

evo-2024-1707272712196.jpg

Honestly surprised KOF is more popular, but there you go.

Dragon Ball FighterZ 2 announcement, though 👀