passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Fighting Game Thread

Maf

Even though I'm starting this off with news I can't imagine it would be a big news thread, and I wanted to start a general thread for fighting games anyway (Apologies if already exists, looked best I could). 

Anyway item #1. Evo 2022 line up announcement happened last night 

evo2022-announcementshow-1920x1080-16467

I believe this is the first Evo in person since 2019 because of Covid. No Smash Bros which has annoyed a lot of people. All games being played on PS4 because, natually now Sony partially owns the tournament. Happening Aug 5th-Aug 7th. 

I'm mostly looking forward to Guilty Gear and Dragon Ball obviously but I might watch some Street Fighter as well (Really want to play some SFV before it's done. I bought it and never opened it). 

I'm just surprised at Granblue, the rest are pretty expected.  I think it will be to see it out and for it to go out with a bang, it is a cool game to watch and it's timing was unfortunate and expectations around netcode were higher.  An in-person event will obviously get around that.

Personally, I'm not that fussed about no Smash.  I find it kind of fun to watch but its never been one I really go out of my way to see.

I’ve been watching some Justin Wong videos lately (I like this guy. He’s got a nice, relaxed camera presence). He’s got some videos up on Street Fighter Alpha, MVC2 and in this video X-Men vs Street Fighter that I like the look of

The only thing that gets me is how does anyone hit confirm in these games? The movement speed is fine but the speed of the interactions are so fast I don’t know you would play it unless just mashing all the time. 

• 2 weeks later...

This video is from 2020 but I found it really fun to watch. It’s a breakdown/analysis of Evo 2009 SF4 final

Not only is this video really entertaining I learned more about Street Fighter 4 in this 30 minutes than my entire time playing the game (Which I played this game a little but obviously really badly and had no idea what I was doing) 

• 3 weeks later...

I was watching some of these eSport videos I found over the weekend. They’re kind of like short form documentaries or something. I really liked them.

Learning about the players of fighting games is getting me more in to fighting games themselves (Who knew Street Fighter 5 is so cool looking, I thought it was just crouch kick and fireball all the time)

Big fighting game show happening over the weekend called Texas Showdown. 

https://smash.gg/tournament/texas-showdown-2022/events

Basically everything is being played there. Looks like GG is the biggest game there with over 220+ entrants, followed by SF5 with 160+ entrants, then Tekken 7 with 150. I had no idea Tekken 7 was so popular. 

But everything is being played there. That link is the events schedule. So many games!

Depending on the times I might watch the GG and DBFZ stuff. But I’m not sure what bits will be online to watch, maybe it’ll just be the top 8 or something for the big games

• 1 month later...

No link or anything. But I was talking with someone the other day about where they can go with Smash Bros, post-Ultimate. Given the roster and amount of Everything put into the game, I think they've gone as far as they can go with the template they have. So my suggestion was a simple one - evolve the series into an Arena Fighter.

Spoiler

powerstone2-falcon-fyona-wangtang-jack.g Power Stone...

anarchy-reigns-smack.gif Anarchy Reigns..

There has always been pushback to 3D Fighters. Street Fighter went backwards with SF4 (and beyond). Meanwhile, scuttling their in-house 3D Fighters ala Power Stone. As did Mortal Kombat regress under NRS. The fate of Midway's 3D fighters - Mace: The Dark Age & Bio Freaks - remains nebulous. 

But honestly, for Smash...

1200px-SSBU_Character_Select_DLC.jpeg

This is the roster. Where do you take it from here and not feel like a step down?

Dude, there is a reason there is no competitive scene around arena fighters, they're not designed in a way that makes for interesting competition or varied kinds of play.  And those ones you give as examples aren't very good games, let alone anything mechanically robust enough to be taken seriously as competitive games.  Maybe it's possible but no-one who makes them has never shown any interest in making one that lends itself to competitive play.

Fighting on a 2D plane isn't regressive, it's different rules, it's like calling football regressive because you can't use your hands.  Controlling space in either of these games is so different and require a different style of play, it's certainly not easier in 2D and 3D doesn't improve on it, it's pretty much a different kind of game.  If there was more as well done as Tekken but the rep for them was ruined by lots of mediocre examples.

4 minutes ago, HandsomeDead said:

Dude, there is a reason there is no competitive scene around arena fighters, they're not designed in a way that makes for interesting competition or varied kinds of play.  And those ones you give as examples aren't very good games, let alone anything mechanically robust enough to be taken seriously as competitive games.  Maybe it's possible but no-one who makes them has never shown any interest in making one that lends itself to competitive play.

Exactly that. No has bothered to try. I've always said with Power Stone, Capcom had the foundations to make real 3D Fighters with. Making a "Power Stone" with the depth of Street Fighter looked possible, with those games. But they just seemingly held up their hands and walked away from it. Capcom of old, would have pushed that envelope. But not modern Capcom. Meanwhile Namco have carried the gold standard for 3D fighters with Tekken and Soul Edge/Blade/Calibur since the 90's. Both of which started very basic and built on that to where they are today.

10 minutes ago, HandsomeDead said:

Fighting on a 2D plane isn't regressive

Only said in context to their respective series. Street Fighter moved into 3D with EX. Mortal Kombat moved into 3D with the Deadly Alliance Trilogy. For those that decry the latter. NRS went on to adapt their mechanics with MKX (with the three variations). Showing it is viable.

I would have thought that Namco's output isn't that far beyond the capabilities of Capcom or NRS. Maybe it's just their attitude towards 3D.

I don't know what they'll do with Smash next.  It's kinda at the point it's peaked and it'll be hard whichever way they decide to go about it.  I doubt it'll be an arena fighter since the ones made are geared towards anime fans rather than fighting game fans and since FighterZ even that may be reconsidered since that game was so much more commercially and critically well received.

Loads of 3D fighters were made in the PS1 and PS2 era.  I don't think it was a lack of trying being the reason they didn't land on something and the few 2D games from that era have persisted.  It just makes for games that can go beyond just hitting buttons.

I’ll try to catch the GGS stuff sometime this week. Watched a set yesterday between a I-No and a Ram that was cool. If/when I pick another character I think it’ll be one of those. 

Speaking of Smash I’m seeing tonnes of videos for this Multiverses game. Are people actually liking the game or is it just fun Smash clone for this week? I tried looking to see where to play it but looks like it’s just an alpha or something right now? If it’s still hot when it comes out proper I’ll play give it a try

On 28/05/2022 at 22:21, OCH said:

Exactly that. No has bothered to try.

Not entirely true. Pokkén Tournament was a mishmash of 2D fighter and arena fighter. It had a certain following and did have a tournamenent presence for a while, but for some reason it didn't last. I didn't follow it closely enough to see why, maybe it had to do with it originally releasing on WiiU (which was a death sentence for any game except Mario Kart) or maybe the community just didn't come together to keep it afloat. I think it was alright as a game, but I have zero clue how to approach arena fighters and always felt more comfortable during the 2D phase than the 3D one. If you like arena fighters I'd recommend giving it a shot though, it's a good quality product and has an interesting mix of fighting styles due to the IP it's based on.

One thing to note about arena fighters is that they don't work as a single-screen spectator event. It sounds like nitpicking but the fact that fighting games are easy to understand even to the most uninitiated is a big part of why they manage to gather views from people who aren't even into them that much. With arena fighters you'd always need a dual-console setup and switch cameras all the time, which is both logistically more complex and less entertaining to watch.

As for Multiversus, I think it looks really promising. First and foremost it seems to have had a decent budget, it's visually very nice to look at and has some of the best animations I've seen in the genre in a while (just look at Tom & Jerry). Visuals aren't everything of course but it's a part of the bigger picture and shows that WB isn't half-arsing the product, like Nickelodeon did with their Smash clone. There are some aspects that make me a little cautious, like the focus on team battles and the monetisation setup, because we all know how much WB likes their microtransactions. But for the roster alone I'll give it a fair chance, there are some excellent characters in there and the leaks promise even wackier additions later down the road (Godzilla and Gizmo for example).