passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gran Turismo 7

spatular

Its the new gran turismo, you drive cars around and stuff. Theres an odd story mode thing where you have to go to a cafe and you get a menu, but its not like a normal menu where you order food, this one has cars on it and you have to win (by racing) or buy them, then when thats done theres another menu, inbetween people tell you stuff about the cars etc. and it goes on like that. Its sort of odd.

Theres all the usual stuff, racing, license tests, online, upgrades, car washing, music rally, etc.

like gt sport if you drive 26 miles a day you get a chance to win stuff, unlike sport, that isnt always a car, sometimes its 2000 credits, which wont even buy you paint.

i want to paint all my cars cool colours but being cautious with the cash at the start, its pretty annoying, the painting should be free. Maybe youll be able to download paint jobs made by other people for free, you could in sport, that would go some way to mitigating the paint thing.

it has thrown loads of cars at me so far though, theyre all pretty slow/rubbish so far, so hopefully it throws some good cars at me at some point.

the important stuff like the handling and tracks and forcefeedback are there and seem really good, seems pretty similar to sport, although i havent played that in a while. But at the start its all slow cars which im not too keen on, much prefer it when you get to the racing cars.

music rally i only did once, you drive round through checkpoints and the music changes or something.

the menus are pretty silly but im used to it so its just seems normal.

the quick loading is great! And does really help with the menus so at least you dont have to wait for it to load different sections.

i played on performance mode and it looks pretty nice but didnt really blow me away, but it looks nice and runs smooth so thats cool. is the graphics mode the one to go for?

if you like gt youll probably like it.

You guys playing it, what do you think?

30 minutes ago, spatular said:

oh man, why the wait till june?!

good question!

Want to complete Dying Light 2, then play and complete Elden Ring and Horizon 2 before I get to this then I've got my honeymoon through most of May so yeah lol. I shouldn't of brought it to be honest as I've got too much else on my plate but I couldn't resist the anniversary edition lol.

2 hours ago, spatular said:

Had a look for leaderboards, could easily have missed some, but it looks similar to sport where the weekly race qualifying has friend leaderboards, but the normal timetrial mode doesnt look like it has them.

Absolute madness 

Argh! Forgot games don’t install from disc while in rest mode on PS5 & had power saving applied! & the game said it had installed even though it was only a quarter of the way. It just meant I could launch it. So I’ve still not played it properly.

I have tried all 3 of the music rally tracks it lets you play during install though. Handling feels good, disappointed in the lack of feedback in the triggers though. It’s nowhere near as good as WRC where it clicks when anti lock brakes are kicking in or losing all tension when traction is lost. That type of thing made a real difference to knowing what your car was doing in that game. The haptics are great though. That does help give some feedback. 

Graphics are still disappointing IMO. All the scenery is just so bland and flat looking. In race the cars are about on par with Horizon 5. Better in some ways but worse in others. It has some weird and distracting reflection artifacting on the dash and bonnets of the cars. The light clusters look loads better in this though, as do the grills. Might not sound like much but it really does add to the overall look and makes them seem a lot more realistic. During replays it jumps up another notch too where it looks loads better. Especially the colours on the cars, that’s where HDR and al that bragging of their simulation of paint and clear coat on cars + ray tracing. Only problem is it drops to 30fps (sometimes below) in this mode and you really notice after just doing the race at 60fps. Still, it’s impressive. 

First impressions are positive though. Where it really matters - the handling - it feels great. Looking forward to actually playing it properly sometime this year when it’s finally installed. 

15 minutes ago, mfnick said:

Disappointed in the lack of feedback in the triggers though. It’s nowhere near as good as WRC where it clicks when anti lock brakes are kicking in or losing all tension when traction is lost. That type of thing made a real difference to knowing what your car was doing in that game. The haptics are great though. That does help give some feedback. 

I could've sworn it does this 🤔

Eurogamer Article

And now along comes the DualSense, which is just as transformative in its own way and not quite as costly (if you can find yourself a PS5, of course). We got a taste of its potential at the launch of the PlayStation 5 with KT Racing's WRC9 which gave it a fairly good workout, but its implementation in Gran Turismo 7 is something else entirely. Each car's brake has its own weight, in accordance with the real thing - slam down the anchors on a ride with ABS and you'll feel it pulsing and modulating the pads under your fingers as it works to avoid a lock-up, and do so in a car without and you'll feel the tire scudding over the surface.

It works for the accelerator too, a tangible breaking of traction felt via the trigger when you're spinning up the rear wheels (something that happens quite a bit in Gran Turismo 7 where it's possible to strap a turbocharger on a humble sportscar and that can have you experiencing wheelspin all the way up to 4th gear). It's something that truly comes alive in the wet weather events, where you'll feel the splash of puddles passing under and that terrifying moment when the wheels free themselves from the road and you're aquaplaning out of control.

It's a revelation, frankly, and in tandem with Gran Turismo 7's outstanding visuals and 3D audio it makes for a driving sensation that's unparalleled on console. Here's a game that acquits itself well enough on a wheel - and on a DD it feels just fantastic, once you've dialled it in a bit - but also one that feels almost as rewarding when playing on a pad thanks to all that DualSense magic. It's a talkative little thing, which is just what you want when engaging in the dialogue that's at the heart of all great racing games.

Glad you're enjoying it anyway.

Been putting a fair bit of time in to this, Im really enjoying it. I have been working on the menus and for most it feels fairly balanced as a single player experience. 

I have the AI set to hard, when following the recommended pp for a race im usually finishing top 3 though last couple racing Alsace with a megane kept coming 4th, so put a little investment into tuning the car so had chance of catching up to the race leaders. 

That does lead into my biggest gripe of the game and series and thats the rolling starts. 

While the races dont feel like the parade they once did you still feel a bit like chasing the leader. 

I havent yet retrieved my preorder bonuas credits, I dont feel like I have needed them the balance of funds in early game is very good. 

Though once complete the menus Im sure I will need them fairly quickly

18 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Though once complete the menus Im sure I will need them fairly quickly

yeah im trying to not spend money because im a bit worried what will happen after ive done all the stuff. I was bitten by sport.

if you like normal cars then the game throws loads of them at you. Personally i like racing cars, if you follow the cafe menu there isnt much racing car action, not sure how long ive played, maybe 5 hours, im hoping for some more soon anyway.

it does that thing a lot of racing games do where the races get longer and longer as you go on, and im driving mostly fast normal cars now which are usually the worst imo, non upgraded to save money, they go fast, and dont handle too badly but the brakes are terrible, its like driving an oil tanker.

the car parts you win on the spins are for specific cars, which is stupid.

sorry im doing a lot of complaining about this, ive got a list a mile long of stuff i dont like about it, but im still playing it, and sort of enjoying it.

and whats with that track thats a massive oval on the water, amazingly boring.

i forgot to try buying paint, will have to do that, also need to upgrade some of my cars as they're driving me mad with how bad they are. anyway i started doing the final license test and it's saved the game, you get to drive good cars, it's amazing :D

edit - i've been hearing a bump sort of noise coming from my right when selecting stuff from the menus, not sure what it was but assumed it was coming from the speakers, it's still happening with the sound off, realised it's the pad vibration, still happens when not using the pad!

edit - and im annoyed again because the rally license test is too difficult.