passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Films II : The Filminator

Bob

I just watched “Us” by Jordan Peele. It’s the first movie of his I’ve seen. It was cool, but it was really weird. At the beginning I thought it was going to be really good, but in the end it was ok. I definitely don’t think it’s a movie to be over-analysed from a logical standpoint. The twist was telegraphed from a mile away. 

Minor spoiler:

Spoiler

I feel like they could have contained the movie to just the main family’s encounter with their own doppelgängers. 

7/10 I guess.

Taken 4  ...Rambo: Last Blood

Oh Stallone...

I must admit I'm not a huge follower of the Rambo series. That said, you don't really have to be as this is basically a standalone story. The first hour is pretty slow going. It does take quite a while for the 'Ramboing' to start and for the film to earn its 18 rating. Rambo isn't a film you come to for the dialogue, after all. The violence and gore, when it does get started, is decent enough and quite humorous in places. Completely spoiler free, as another 80's homage piece, it is fine. But it won't really set your world on fire. 6/10

Ready or Not

A fun little Horror Comedy. It is only 95 minutes, so it moves at a fairly decent pace. The premise is both interesting and silly, knowingly so the entire time. Alongside what I suppose you would call an ensemble cast, as there isn't really an A-Lister in sight (I wouldn't consider Andie MacDowell an A-Lister, but your mileage may vary). The gore also is played for laughs but looks decent with mostly practical effects, which I do appreciate more than CG blood. A Horror Comedy that delivers on that description, is a rare treat. 8/10

Just watch Midsommar.  Not sure I was that into it.  I kinda liked what it was trying to say but it was more everything else seemed slightly hokey.  Weird communes sort of occupy a similar space to weird asylums to me. 

But it definitely had some tense stuff a brief affective body horror. 

Another thing I was convinced the main girl was played by Chloe Grace Moritz the whole time until the credits ran.  She's uncannily like her. 

Both Midsommar and Us felt like they spent so much time trying to say very little. 

Midsommar is definitely the most interesting of the two though, the stuff in it about being in a toxic relationship that is already over. But I don't think the film really worked, was very disappointed by it.

The best bits of Midsommar were more or less plucked from The Wicker Man though. I think the reason why it didn't really work was the principal cast of 4 were all terrible people. I think you were supposed to feel for them, when things turned against them. But you, at most, have to be relatable and/or at least likeable, for that to be the case.

18 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Both Midsommar and Us felt like they spent so much time trying to say very little. 

Midsommar is definitely the most interesting of the two though, the stuff in it about being in a toxic relationship that is already over. But I don't think the film really worked, was very disappointed by it.

Ummm, I dunno, I liked Us quite a bit more than Midsommar.  While both don't do quite enough with thier run time I was more interested in what was going in on in Us. 

18 hours ago, OCH said:

The best bits of Midsommar were more or less plucked from The Wicker Man though. I think the reason why it didn't really work was the principal cast of 4 were all terrible people. I think you were supposed to feel for them, when things turned against them. But you, at most, have to be relatable and/or at least likeable, for that to be the case.

Well no, I think you were supposed to feel some sort of sick twisted sense of justice when things went wrong for them. So that you can make the leap that the main character does at the end when she makes her decision.

People who have been through PTSD say that the main part was played really well, personally tho I think I would have liked to have been scared more. I guess my expectations messed it for me

I also saw Joker, I'm not sure if I really liked it or hated it.

Mostly not sure what to take from it... it's exactly the kind of movie everyone thought it would be. It sort of just appropriates a couple of recognizable names and settings from the comics but they're never more than a very loose framework. Echoes of both Taxi Driver and The Master and a couple of other things that slip my mind. A bit of TDKR as well actually

It's one of those films which I feel like it's trying to make a point by saying that there is no point or meaning to any of the extreme violence and cruelty. It's just, life is really unfair and awful and they don't give a fuck about any of us and that's that. But that isnt enough for me

Spoiler

It's set in the 70s but also feels like it could be set now because these loner killers are happening more regularly now, or are reported more often.

It keeps doing this thing where people wear these joker masks which are the same as the one one of the bank robbers at the start of TDK wears, which feels like it could be trying to say something but I don't know what.

It wasnt actually clear to me if Arthur was adopted or if it was a piece of BS by Wayne, and I reckon that's intentional. The stuff with Bruce Wayne is a weird nod because I dont think there's a way they get Phoenix to agree to a sequel or a long running universe of films. This feels like a once off, but they put Bruce Wayne in just in case it isn't.

The finale scene was both awful and great. Started off feeling like one of those Crispin Glover interviews. You figured it could go the way it did but hoped it wouldn't

It's just upsetting and bewildering stuff that you watch through your fingers cause Joaquin Phoenix does a great job at making you feel bad for these weird, tortured characters he plays.

But I think maybe it's a thumbs down for me. A really really well made but bad film

Also I saw kids at my screening. Lol

I think the point the film was trying to make is in the what you deserve line. The failure of the system and its victims. Personally I haven't seen Taxi Driver, The Master, The King of Comedy or the other films noted to be references/homages, so I just took it at face value. I was amazed yesterday how many screenings were sold out. Even my own at three in the afternoon, was packed. That hasn't really happened in any film I've been to see since Endgame.

Tbh I dont know what line you mean, but yes the second thing you say is probably the point here.

I guess tho it's not something I'm into. I wrote something weird in my post previously that I edited out but I think it was on point actually. It's sort of like when you press a dogs face into its piss and say 'look at this nasty mess you made, feel bad about it'. That is what this film is.

I think it's a bad film but I'd be lying if I said I wasnt even more interested in Rob Pat's Batman film now

I do find it really interesting now that we have had three really different and strong movie portrayals of the same character. Nicholson's Mobster, Ledger's Agent of Chaos and now Phoenix' Insane Joker.

Spoiler

I think this film actually represents a soft reset of Batman films. In light of a more traditional depiction of the Wayne's murder, throwing Snyder's out of the window. This film might be the precursor to the next Batman. They might have finally thrown the "DCU" concept away, which is a good thing.

*Mods, I think I have a thread on this film? If someone could move these last three comments over please? Ta