passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

ps5-1-74da.jpg

Nag says... "Do we want (or need) a PS5 Pro console? With what seems like constant rumours circulating about this thing existing and releasing before the year is out, is it needed? Would you buy a pro version? 

My perspective on this is skewed cause the only two games I've played on it the last 24 months are FFXVI and Rebirth, both of which have performance modes with such a low resolution that you sometimes can't see characters' faces. It also can't do RT very well, not that that's all that matters but the image quality issues seem worse than PS4 to me, it's the least impressed I've been by a PS other than its load times. So Pro makes sense imo

Yep. Hate to say it but I’d probably get it. Already fed up of the compromises between performance and quality. Rebirth is really fucked with very noticeable compromises in both options. I remember the demo for FFXVI being the same. It’s a problem with more games it’s just they’re recent in mind examples. Other games do hide the compromises better too. I couldn’t tell the difference in quality between Quality and Performance in Sider-Man 2 for example. But Square games obviously need that brute forcing. 

Don’t take this as I want games to have even more fidelity, cost more etc. I just want games to run at their current quality settings at 60. Or lower quality, like I say, PS4 quality graphics at 4k is more than fine with me. 

Feel like it’s a tough question the same week everyone is playing Rebirth 😅

It’s weird that some games struggle so much on the performance side on PS5. For me image quality being the biggest problem right now. Not only are devs being too reliant on FSR, FSR is also dog shit. 

Not sure if the problem is the technology or the reliance on upscaling. This is the same machine that does Spider-Man 2 - high fidelity, 60 FPS, 1440p with RT. Horizon 2 is a terrible game but second to none in terms of graphics. Even on PC where games out perform it, the look they captured on PS5 is incredible. The SSD ‘magic’ aside Ratchet & Clank on PS5 is a spectacular looking game. I don’t think I’ve ever been as impressed by a launch game for a system than Demon’s Souls. The game looks crazy (except for the mine level)

Then you look at Rebirth, Star Wars, Forspoken (At launch), Immortals and it’s like what is going on

There’s no reason not to have a PS5 Pro. But only if it’s feasible to fit it with AMD’s new FSR or some kind of frame generation because PS5 standard can be an incredible machine just for graphics. But there are a lot of odd games and developers out there that just can’t seem to get the best out of it in terms of performance - image quality especially. If a Pro makes it easier for everybody, then they should do it.

I still think what you get for the money PS5 is amazing and I don’t feel like it’s “done” in anyway. But if they can make a better one, clearly some games could do with it 

It seemed like there was an actual reason for PS4 Pro/One X last gen with the uptake in 4k tv's... that's not there this time around so I'd have to say no to an upgrade.

I already feel that these machines aren't being allowed to pull their weight yet so it kinda doesn't make sense to me to shell out another 500 quid for some slightly shinier surfaces and a few extra fps.

The thing with it is that a pro is going to be super expensive, apparently it's not as easy now to just reduce the cost of these things cause I guess Moore's Law or something (hell, the PS and XSX both went up in price since release). 

So I think 500 quid is beyond optimistic here, they will be a lot more crazy I feel like. Apparently the strategy (I think this was on Grubb's show on giantbomb) is that because the market for hardware isn't growing, they will want to just target the double-dipping crazies with enough money to throw away and basically sell to this existing audience instead

On the one hand, I did buy a PS2 slim. On the other, no there's no need for it at all. Aside from shaking down the fanbase with the dangling carrot of "improved performance".

Happy for you. Genuinely hurting the experience for me though. Either a stuttery mess which causes a headache and just doesn’t feel good or so blurry it feels like my eyes are unfocused constantly. 

I wasn't being an arse with the oled comment last night, I know you yourself have mentioned they don't deal with 30fps very well... to the best of my knowledge I'm one of the few people on this site who games on a Samsung Qled... seriously it's been smooth as butter for me in graphics mode so far.

Yea I genuinely think I might move to a QLED when I’m buying my next TV. I’m just too sensitive to frame rate stutter on the OLED. It almost overwrites all of its positives. Although I hear new ones are better at motion. Will just have to check when the time comes. 

Yeah, the thing mfnick mentioned is what I feel. I got a headache yesterday also but with performance mode, it makes me feel cross eyed for some reason

The thing is, performance mode resolution isn't fixed, it's dynamic. So it might seem fine at first but you might see issues elsewhere. But screen resolution and technology is also a factor here. But again its really not just a graphics snob thing, its not like i can help it, might also explain why I've spent so much time playing cards

Not to turn the topic from PS5 to TV’s but QLED use the same sample and hold thing for frames as OLED. So that won’t change things like stutter. I’m not sure what modern TV’s done’ t use it. 

I haven’t played Rebirth but what I played of FF16 the 30fps was fine. That game had good motion handling from what I remember. Is Rebirth not the same?

I don't know, but I found 30fps fine in xvi at the start, but later on once I started trying to do complex things with it I could no longer follow Clive or the enemies, they became too hard to see

The final boss fight was basically invisible