passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Random News II

Bob

As an old-school internet person who doesn't care about or uses discord I find it hilarious that it's worth more than Zenimax/Bethesda.

I also hope this is the other big acquisition Nedalla was talking about. I really wouldn't want them to buy another big videogame publisher.

Everyone on this website is old as fuck though, I'm 31 and I might be the youngest person here based on the birthday threads. Old man gaming.

Discord is just a very good product is all and basically top of the pack for UX. I'd hoped that the 'gamer' aesthetic of it might have scared companies from acquiring it (it's not a dead cert that MS are going to buy it actually). The built in streaming/chat room feature is super nice and it's an incredible resource for raiding/optimisation on FFXIV.

Skype got so bad after MS got it so there's previous form for them not knowing what to do with these platforms besides taking their tech stack.

Skype still lives at least. Mixer got it worse (and I had to think for a minute to even remember the name).

The only times I've personally come in contact with discord was when it was suggested by someone as an alternative to a forum, which it really, absolutely, is not.

I can totally see that it has its uses when it comes to certain MP games though.

2 minutes ago, Nag said:

Who've released their most successful game ever while under Microsoft... lol.

Not really, as the original company was basically butchered.  New Rare is a different thing altogether, which was the point. Good luck to Discord...

The game is basically a Full Spectrum Warrior type situation I think, a criss-crossing of 'edutainment' with propaganda/recruitment simulation games (like America's Army).

It's literally what Spec Ops: The Line is all about and trying to criticize. I bet that it ends up interesting on a technical level but games like this are pretty icky. They said they aren't going to depict war crimes cause they didn't want to take a stance or something, but that's a stance they are taking for sure by not including stuff like that.

Just now, DisturbedSwan said:

Not particularly arsed about Microsoft buying Discord as long as they don't Skype/Mixer/Nokia/Windows Mobile/Zune it up for everybody. 

fingers crossed, at least they don't have a history of screwing things up...

Mr Schrier is at it again pre-emptively delaying video games

https://www.resetera.com/threads/in-2021-assume-that-no-release-dates-or-windows-are-certain.398653/

2021 already looks pretty dry as is. Between all the stuff about a chronic chip crisis (not the ones you can eat) upgrading to next gen feels pretty pointless at least until later in 22.

Unless you really really really want to spent 70 euro on 'Returnal'

There's still a lot of interesting stuff on the horizon for me and a couple of games out there I haven't had the chance to play yet. Not to mention the good old backlog.

I know this is a very egoistical way of looking at it but I'm kind of glad we won't get flooded with interesting releases this year. Not a particularly good situation for middle-tier developers though. Triple-A publishers can get through this no problem and small indies are hardly affected by remote work since they've always done it.

And yeah, that "next"-gen console can definitely wait. I'll get a raise in December, maybe that's when I start thinking about it. Unless Ascent or Cygni or something just looks too good on Series X compared to One.

I was thinking the other day, how long before I do buy another actual PS5 game? Certainly nothing immediately on the horizon for me, as far as new releases. Aside from Isaac: Repentance. Which should work on this PC, hopefully.

18 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Well you should definitely buy Disco Elysium in a week's time

I just looked up a trailer for it. Didn't look like a 'must buy'. Then again, I do have T7, SC6, Bloodborne (with The Last Guardian also on the way). So I've got more than enough for now. Assuming I don't shelve them all for Repentance.

They did at one point, but I don't know if they still do. From what I can see it's just Nitro now. I know at one point you could play Warframe and stuff through it, and a lot of games if you are playing with friends will flag up in discord with an invite button. 

Borderlands 3 and Deep Rock do for sure, as I've personally used them to get into games and it worked flawlessly. I've seen other games use it as well, but I couldn't name you one.