passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Elden Ring

DisturbedSwan

I'm referring to the game in general, not the coverage. I perhaps naively thought Elden Ring was going to be something new. Now I know it isn't.

On 05/11/2021 at 14:44, Maryokutai said:

I don't know why it took me so long to realise but that postergirl/woman looks like a Griffith and Guts fusion or something. Probably why I've liked the design since the first time we've seen her.

FARNESE-knowll-game-guide.jpg

I think the game looks cool but the media blowout is overbearing. Every gaming things I subscribe to is ELDEN RING! ELDEN RING! ELDEN RING! 

It’s like yo you’re going to make me watch Netflix at this point

I've only watched a couple. Maximillian, had an 18 minute impressions video and it confirmed everything I didn't want to hear. Personally wasn't really keen on a new Dark Souls, but open world

mfg official network test impressions:

It’s really underwhelming.

I knew there’d be aspects of DS but fuck, it’s all the same. The combat, buttons, animations, sounds. Ctrl C, Ctrl V.

Theres bonfires but they’re not bonfires ok? They’re sites of grace. The difference? Well there isn’t any other than they don’t look as comforting as a lovely bonfire.

The only change here is that it’s in large(ish) open barren areas with nothing to do other than pick up the occasional fruit.

The trailer made this look like a step in the right direction but in reality it’s more of the same side steps, which most people might prefer but it’s not for me. I’m not convinced it’s open world either when you can’t jump, nevermind climb. The sense of exploration is immediately diminished by the ancient controls.

1 hour ago, mmmark said:

when you can’t jump

I watched some previews that said you can jump (and double jump) now?

2 hours ago, Maf said:

I think the game looks cool but the media blowout is overbearing. Every gaming things I subscribe to is ELDEN RING! ELDEN RING! ELDEN RING! 

It’s like yo you’re going to make me watch Netflix at this point

I get what you're saying but isn't it like that with every game that has a preview/impressions embargo drop, or a review embargo drop or a game comes out? It's a zeitgeist everytime, just to varying degrees. All your hear from this weekend until Friday is BATTLEFIELD BATTLEFIELD BATTLEFIELD then leading up to Halo all you're hear is HALO HALO HALO.

Last game like this by my feed was Deathloop.  It's just the way it is and has been a while.  Elden Ring isn't an outlier.

It's destined to be another Souls-like I'll try, and maybe kind of like the idea of more than I actually like playing.  But maybe the open world design and addition of more robust ranged combat will make it just chill enough to get with.

But I've still got Sekiro I want to try as well so I'm not in a rush or anything.  I know Sekiro isn't chill but a more character action thing might also be more up my street.

Elden Ring isn’t an outlier but it’s bigger than other things I can remember of late. I think also the problem is there’s not enough special about it to warrant the coverage. At least with Deathloop it’s a new take on something. This is Dark Souls + Open World. Which is a cool idea and I think I’ll like this game but you know exactly what it is in 5 minutes of footage. So a thousand streams of it is overkill. 

5 minutes ago, Maf said:

I think also the problem is there’s not enough special about it to warrant the coverage.

I think you underestimate how many Souls fans/fans of From Soft there are out there (myself included) lol. I get hyped as hell at pretty much anything From puts out these days, one of the best studios in the business and not put a foot wrong since Miyazaki has been at the helm.

It's special because it's the next From game. The first truly open world one just puts a cherry on top of the cake. 

3 minutes ago, DisturbedSwan said:

It's special because it's the next From game. The first truly open world one just puts a cherry on top of the cake. 

Maybe it will be. Maybe I play it and eat shit. Maybe the game ends up being the best thing ever crafted by the hand of man and I’m too blind to see. 

But right now it looks pretty unadventurous and I’m surprised we still care about “the first truly open world” thing again. I seen it before. Granted, not with Dark Souls bonfires in, but I still seen it before.

4 minutes ago, Maf said:

Maybe it will be. Maybe I play it and eat shit. Maybe the game ends up being the best thing ever crafted by the hand of man and I’m too blind to see. 

But right now it looks pretty unadventurous and I’m surprised we still care about “the first truly open world” thing again. I seen it before. Granted, not with Dark Souls bonfires in, but I still seen it before.

I don't need to play it to know it's good, it's a From game. It will be fucking amazing and score 87%+ in reviews.

If it's not a 2022 GOTY contender I'll change my Avatar to one of your choosing around this time next year.