passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Resident Evil VII: Biohazard

DisturbedSwan

Picked this up for £9 on PSN and am a couple hours into it, and so far I'm not enjoying it that much.

I don't like the lack of stealth mechanics in a game that forces so much stealth. Just being able to pop my head around a corner would be nice.

Sprinting is hot trash too, it feels like Ethan is running through treacle and it is awful.

I don't like that (so far anyway) every enemy is basically a mini boss. I didn't enjoy Mr X in the RE2 remake, I found it stressful, but not in a "Ooo that's scary" way as was intended, but in a "Oh for fuck sale I'm trying to explore" way, and that's exactly how the family are making me feel.

I also emptied 32 bullets into a goo monster and it didn't drop, so had to restart and run around it, so that sucked.

It's a shame because the setting is superb, and I'm enjoying the Bioshock style story telling. It looks and sounds fantastic too, and I genuinely love the atmosphere.

I'm 2 hours is so I'll stick with it, hopefully it will get better or the mechanics will click with me, but at the moment it's just reminding me of the worst parts of the RE2 remake ?‍♂️

Made a bit more progress and not enjoying it anymore than I was earlier.

Goo monsters go down with a single shotgun blast to the head IF I get the angle right. Had to keep retrying the area  which felt super cheap, but there was only enough ammo for 1 shot per goo monster. 

First boss down also

Spoiler

Chainsaw nonce - nice idea for a boss fight, but mechanically garbage. Using the chainsaw is a joke, it felt like I was tickling him with a feather. No feedback whatsoever.

In the next area now 

Spoiler

Old swamp house with the crusty old mum in it.

So far it's just as annoying as the rest of the house. The bugs are just tedious enemies 

Still loving the setting and atmosphere, but a lot of the important mechanics are hot garbage which is a real shame.

I loaded this up recently and visually/sound design wise its so good (with headphones), but I also hate the enemy designs in it.

There's one legit freaky boss fight that actually got to me but a lot of the mold things you fight feel like they come from a Revelations game.

If they ever make a Resi with this FPS view and bring back crimson heads as a gameplay mechanic it could be incredible.

Shame you’re not liking it. I think it’s fantastic and up there with the best of this gen.

I agree with you 100% with Mr X in Resi 2 remake but felt totally different regarding them in this. I also remember them being a constant threat for only a short time before you can just run around the areas basically as you like. Apart from the beginning part in the house (And partly in the ship) I don’t remember any enemies causing me frustration while exploring. 

Finished.

I ended up really enjoying it.

I stand by my earlier complaints, but they stop around 2/5 of the way through:

Spoiler

After Bug Mum

It's a weird old game. I definitely preferred the first 2 chapters (areas before bosses) tonally, the next 2 were fun and kinda crazy, but it was starting to veer more toward action, and by the time the final chapter came around I was basically Rambo.

Best boss in the game was weirdly the easiest:

Spoiler

Mutated Goo Dad

And what the fuck was that final boss?? Haha

Spoiler

I loved the twist that she was the old lady! I wondered how she kept getting around the house, the spooky bitch.

So yeah, maybe I was too harsh on it earlier. I'm not particularly good at these games anymore but I keep playing them ?‍♂️

So I'm playing through this again to record footage for a video. I'm 2 hours in and just defeated the first boss and have moved onto the second area, so I reckon I can probably have it finished in 6 hours this time and to be honest I'm tempted to just go through it again ?

6 hours 43 was my final time on my second playthrough which I think is pretty respectable.

I enjoyed it considerably more second time around.

There are still a few glaring issues that I hope are fixed for Village, but overall it was pretty good.

Now to wait until 6 is on sale so I can finally suffer through that one ? My friend is going to pick it up too so we can co-op and share the suffering.

• 7 months later...

The recent trailer of RE8 reminded me I never got round to this, so I'm sorting that out now.  I must admit I didn't follow this game at all as it looked like it was going in the direction of the kinds of horror titles I'm not fond of.  And while the Amnesia stuff is there I was surprised at how much it still very much is a traditional RE game.  It's an interesting mix, I'm glad I've given it a chance.  I'd say it was the RE2 remake that built up some goodwill with me.

I think I have most of the same frustrations as others have said here but overall I think I'm still really fond of it so far.

And that chainsaw boss fight may be quite easily my favourite boss fight in an RE game, so well done.  I guess this came out before Mandy but it totally gave me that but in a video game.

So, while I think this game is amazing for the most part I did have an issue with 

Spoiler

the choice you get to save either Mia or Zoe.  You have one serum and you have to choose, and Mia and Zoe just awkwardly look around, saying nothing.  It was the dumbest shit and the kind of player choice that detracted from the game.  It really would have been better without it as I generally enjoyed the story apart from that.  I picked Mia and got the 'canon' story route and I looked at the game with Zoe as the choice but that was some senseless shit.  I don't know if it was added because multiple endings are kinda expected but it really came across as tacked on.  I think the only real low point.

But other than that I loved it.  Really feel like a clown for not playing it earlier.  I do think I like it more than REmake 2.  While it is excellent I'm pretty familiar with the original and while it definitely adds surprising new stuff and updated as well as it can be REVII was constantly surprising me, I never knew what to expect.  It reminded me of when I first played RE and RE4.

Glad you liked it so much. After Remake 1 and the OG Resi 2 this is my favourite. I didn’t really have issue with the part you did but I did think

Spoiler

the final “ship” area was a little bit shit. & the underground part was a bit bland.

Overall though I don’t think those parts really hurt the experience. 

• 3 weeks later...