passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Google Stadia

DisturbedSwan

It has been a bit of a mess, it’s a new platform though so a few kinks to be ironed out are expected. The important thing for me is that the streaming works, and boy does it work ?

It’s nice getting another 2 ‘free’ games so soon after launch though, even though both are quite underwhelming. I’ll definitely give Farming Sim a go.

25 minutes ago, Blakey said:

The important thing for me is that the streaming works, and boy does it work ?

Does it work well enough, or surpass expectations? Or provide a better experience than native in any way?

I'm not trying to needle you, but I'm wondering if there is a good reason to pick Destiny 2 on Stadia over PS4 or PC, for instance. Particularly as that game is free now I believe, so the Pro bundle doesn't seem to add much value other than DLC stuff. The only benefit I can figure is being able to play on a phone or outside of home (but near a good broadband connection)

38 minutes ago, Nag said:

Does this platform have anything similar to achievements/trophies @Blakey?

It doesn't at this time, I'm no idea if they're being added in the future or not.

23 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Does it work well enough, or surpass expectations? Or provide a better experience than native in any way?

I'm not trying to needle you, but I'm wondering if there is a good reason to pick Destiny 2 on Stadia over PS4 or PC, for instance. Particularly as that game is free now I believe, so the Pro bundle doesn't seem to add much value other than DLC stuff. The only benefit I can figure is being able to play on a phone or outside of home (but near a good broadband connection)

It's definitely surpassed expectations for me, it runs way smoother than I ever thought it would, it's crazy that I'm just running it over WiFi and getting the results I have as well. I guess the PC experience is still king but I would say this is comparable to consoles, I'm unsure if any consoles do 60fps so it may be a little above them if they don't but then it doesn't output in a native 4K apparently so swings and roundabouts I guess.

The key selling point for me of playing service games like D2 on Stadia is there's no huge initial download and no loading. It's such a snappier experience when you don't have to wait ages every time you wanna go to the Tower or a Planet in D2 and you don't have to load to get into the game in the first place. I think I will always buy these kinds of games on Stadia from now on because of the benefits mentioned above. Worth noting D2 on Stadia features every single piece of DLC and expansion available to date along with the Annual Pass. The free D2 'New Light' just comes with the standard campaign, Expansions 1 and 2 (Curse of Osiris and Warmind) and the non-paying Annual Pass (like Fortnite's Battle Pass if you don't pony up). I understand it is very much a different and more streamlined experience than full fat D2 as well.

I suppose I get that, though I think if you have a connection good enough for Stadia then the initial load up and download of games is probably not going to be that bad anyway ?

Thought I can't speak to things like how long stuff takes to load. I've said before I wouldn't be against playing FFXIV on Stadia, but they need to actually put it on there and explain how they'll mitigate client lag cause even in an MMO that stuff matters. Like in xiv there's a 2.5s cooldown between abilities, but you can buffer (ie, queue up) the next attack 1s before the cooldown expires. Also within those 1.5 remaining seconds you can do lots of other things, so Stadia would need to keep that window as open as possible. These are the kinds of technical challenges that are going to be hard to solve imo

But that might be the tradeoff I'd be willing to accept to just bring a game like that when visiting home. Because fuck lugging a Pro or PC around, or a gaming laptop.

• 2 weeks later...

Stadia Store Lists Reveal Game Demos, Pre-Ordering, Early Access, Trials, and More On The Way

The web version of the Stadia Store launched yesterday, and we've made some interesting discoveries about some of the things that will be coming to Stadia. Some of which were already obvious that they'd be coming to the platform at some point given that they are a pretty standard part of gaming nowadays, but it's always nice to have solid proof that they will be coming.

If you go on the Stadia Store you'll notice that there are multiple lists of games (currently Best of Stadia, Stadia Pro Games, More to Discover and All Games), but if you alter the number at the end of the URL you can see other lists that exist but aren't shown on the store home. It's worth noting at this point though that a majority of them are empty and don't have anything in them at the moment, but we envisage that once Stadia's game library extends a bit more we will see these lists in action.

Noteworthy lists include Game Gifting, Game Pre-Ordering, Game Demo's and Early Access which hints that Stadia will be offering these highly requested features amongst the community at some point in the future. There's also one called 'Trials' which we can only assume means Game Trials, this could possibly mean that you'll be able to play a portion of the game up front at no cost, and then if you are enjoying it, purchase the whole game and carry on playing - although this isn't confirmed yet so take this with a pinch of salt.

There's also mentioned of YouTube which suggests that integration between the platforms is still underway. Also mentions of Cross-Platform which, we knew was going to be available for certain games anyway, but still good to see it written in an official format.

Either way... here are all of the lists, we've highlighted a few of the important ones, feel free to bookmark some of them in case you ever wish to see what the lists contain once they flesh out a bit more:

UPDATE: Wishlist Found Too!
zMattyPower on Reddit has also made the discovery of Wish Lists on the Stadia Store too.

• Most Played
• Top Selling
• Editors Choice
• Coming Soon
• Pre-Orders
• Recently Updated
• New Add-Ons
• Early Access
• Great on Mobile
• On Sale
• Great Offers
• Game of the Year Winners