passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Nintendo Switch

HandsomeDead

No Friend codes:

“People have taken shots at us for that. The reality is, the way that online experiences have progressed, it’s an expensive proposition. The amount of servers we need to support Smash Brothers or Mario Kart — these big multiplayer games — is not a small investment. There are no friend codes within what we’re doing.”

Did he let something slip in regards to Smash there too?! I know there were Smash Bros. port rumours going around.

Yeah you're right, come to think of the Wii U had no friend codes either, guess it's more in reference to them on the 3DS maybe? Who knows.

I've got no 'real life' friends that play games anyway so I won't be needing anymore Joy Cons :lol: guess they're thinking down the line when NBA 2K17 or FIFA 18 comes out or 4 player Mario Kart or something, but yeah I think most games it won't be necessary unless you're going to be hosting lots of parties and using the Switch and stuff.

Switch Screen Manufacturer Announced

- screens supplied by Japan Display Inc.
- Japan Display will supply three million screens in an initial batch
- Japan Display is working to ship slightly more than 10 million units by the end of this year
- the latter figure is subject to change depending on sales

We heard Nintendo had 2 million Switch units planned for initial launch. Now you have to wonder what the other 1 million is for, and when those units will ship!

1 hour ago, ThreeFour said:

Usual evenings fun when the missus is out. Who doesn't? :ph34r:

The missus was away in Leicester for work last night. I ate a huge pizza (that I'd added cheesy dough balls to after cooking), a tray of M&S Dirty Fries (seriously, go and get some - they're incredible), and then died on the sofa from too much cheese and cholesterol. No milking of anything for me!

But anyway - Switch (heeeyy-ey-ey).

7 minutes ago, Blakey said:

We heard Nintendo had 2 million Switch units planned for initial launch. Now you have to wonder what the other 1 million is for, and when those units will ship!

Can you not buy additional screens for the console? Or am I dreaming I heard that? I know you can buy additional docks...

Yeah that's a fair point - didn't think of that...

Maybe - and this one is a scary thought and oh god please don't be right - they expect a high number of faulty units? Or they just aren't manufacturing docks/joy-cons as fast as they can the screen?

Up to 8 accounts on 1 Switch System

Will online stores be region-free or just cartridges?

The Nintendo Switch system is not region locked, but we recommend that players buy games within their region to ensure full service and support. The user will access the Nintendo eShop that corresponds to the country identified in their Nintendo Account. (Up to eight user accounts can be created on a single Nintendo Switch system.)

Sounds good, means we should be able to set up an NA & JP eShop account for those sweet NA/JP games.

This is a what if:

But if the switch had 512mb internal flash memory (my laptop has this and it's 5 years old) was as powerful as a PS4 or Xbox one, launched with metroid prime trilogy hd remake or brand new version with full multiplayer deathmatch maps. 

Would anyone doubt how successful it would be? Feel like Nintendo could of got this so right, but it's gone wrong before launch, quite a few people I know have cancelled pre-orders and have little interest, I'm on the fence but have cancelled my pre-order. Buying mario kart 8 twice to have something to play this Christmas is false economy.

fwiw, as down as I've been on the Switch since the full reveal, I still really like the concept. The concept absolutely appeals to me and I don't care that it's a bit underpowered. I do think it's a problem when it comes to certain types of games, it's not a problem for most Japanese games, something like Persona (not that it's coming) or Shin Megami, because an awful lot of the PS4's Japanese games also release on the Vita and PS3, and so the PS4 version looks fine, but not exactly pushing the system, the Switch can fill that roll. Steep is on the Switch, that game dropped frames on my pc, it's a pretty game, I know it's not going to be aiming for ultra settings, but that's the kind of game where we're going to see the trade off

My entire problem with the Switch is the piss weak line up. What's been announced (and there will be more obviously) isn't worth the investment, it's barren, something that's exasperated by me not liking Zelda or Mario Kart (because they're one note). But, I will get one, I've almost preordered one twice this past week, I'll definitely buy one, it's just a matter of time, and I do think it's going to be a good selling console, particularly in Japan

A multi-player death match Metroid would not be a system seller.  Metroid fans wouldn't give many shits about that (see Federation Force) and new comers already have lots of things in that style already. 

Splatoon 2 is already coming out and is already a more interesting prospect.  Maybe they just need to show more of that.  Some of the campaign, maybe.  But it will likely be mostly overlooked again. 

I like splatoon I do, but I feel

like it's a one hit game, it's done. I'm not sure I would buy it again. 

I get nintendo's stance on launch I mean how many games do we buy during march-August it's all saving for holidays and warm weather outside so it doesn't need a big catalogue to start. But for me it lacks quality, there is no system seller to launch it, metroid was a thought, I got call of duty with my PS4 and gears of war with my Xbox one, both games which push console sales. Bomberman or switch 1/2 isn't doing it for me, especially as I have Zelda on the wii u pre-ordered.

Going off a tiny bit of a tangent here, but following on from the point @mr lakitu was alluding to Kyle Bosman put out an excellent video about the power of unreleased games:

I get that Nintendo doesn't want to announce things too far off (believe the 2018 Fire Emblem Switch is the most distant game they've announced thus far), but there is a power to it, it gets people seriously hyped and says to people 'Look, you're getting Zelda at launch, Mario and Xenoblade in the Winter then Metroid, Donkey kong, Fire Emblem and F-Zero Switch in 2018' I think that would reassure people that the Switch is worth their time and money, it's prudent to be the way Nintendo are being, not over-promising their fans and I definitely understand why they're doing that, they're under-promising and intending to over-deliver

As for @Manicm's theoretical scenario, I think a new Metroid Prime, alongside Zelda and Mario Odyssey would've been a bloody incredible line-up and hard to resist at any price, but I think what kills the Switch's momentum for me is still the price. I know I've said this before and I don't want to sound like a broken record, I get the PS4 and Xbone's launch games weren't fantastic either, but you had a long production line of 3rd party titles to buff it out in the year that followed, with Nintendo we just don't know really, the 2017 games they've announced sound great but there is definitely going to be droughts in there that 3rd parties on the xbone or PS4 would've filled.

It definitely would've helped swallow the price if it had all the games mentioned above at launch, it would've been hard to resist even at £300 or £350, let alone £280, but with 1 killer app in the launch line-up and no packed-in games it's hard to justify to anyone but hardened Nintendo/Zelda fans (who were going to buy the system anyway), especially for folks who don't own any consoles and are looking to just buy the cheapest console bundle they can in a GAME or Gamestop store.

The difference @mr lakitu, and why I think the more vehement Switch defenders are being disingenuous, is that, even if the launch of the other 2 consoles was poor, they never had a drought. The Switch is either going to have 1 game a week or weeks where there's nothing at retail for it (or at least that's how it looks atm). 

Sony and Microsoft may announce things too early, but there's a bunch of stuff coming for their consoles in between. 

Also I really think this needs to sell more than 25million for them. They do need the hard-core, and while it's easy to say Nintendo want the family market, that's a fickle market, and you're forgetting how dominant the PS4 is, that's the family console currently 

Now I have no idea how the iOS market and stuff is like at the moment.  What seems to be talked about that I hear is Nintendo's foray into the market. 

But what may be worth doing with the Switch is embracing tablet gaming.  It can do it, it has all the bits in the portable mode.  I'm no developer, but I don't think that would be a big job to port that stuff, especially if it's built in Unity.  It would be cool to have the sweet mobile stuff available. 

It's not a saving grace, but it's something they can do that the others can't.  Good for families, keeps the kids off those dear iPads as well.