passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Nintendo Switch

HandsomeDead

Terry is much better known than pretty much all the Fire Emblem characters (I'd say all but I suspect Smash has raised awareness of a few). 

The likes of Sonic, Ryu etc make for more interesting characters than a lot on the roster, it means they're forced to think around things they wouldn't otherwise. It's probably more interesting for them too after years of the same characters in the same game 

I read a lot of gaming magazines back in the day. Off the top of my head at least five multi-platform, two that exclusively talked import games. Three for Nintendo, one for Dreamcast and at least two for Playstation. When I make reference to conversations that I heard, I'm not talking about the experience of a handful of 10y/o's in a quiet borough in SE London. Because that level of knowledge is meaningless. The thing to always remember is that Fighters have always been a niche genre in gaming. The 90's was all about the Big Names. Whereas maybe 5-6/10 average people would know who Capcom, Midway or Namco were. That number could be halved again, to those in the know when it came to SNK, Darkstalkers etc  

Personally, I'd never heard of Metroid, Kirby, Earthbound or Fire Emblem until Smash Melee came out and I've owned Nintendo systems since the NES.

24 minutes ago, Nag said:

My god, what's this dodgy bollocks?... I don't overly like fighters, snk or neo geo yet I played Fatal Fury 2 on the Megadrive for all of seven minutes and Terry Bogard is ingrained into my subconscious.?

Sounds like a Tumblr thing...?

This was more Me, on the Megadrive:

tumblr_ofnjne4XwX1qd4q8ao1_400.gif 61NQKjotK5L._SY445_.jpg

1 hour ago, OCH said:

Personally, I'd never heard of Metroid, Kirby, Earthbound or Fire Emblem until Smash Melee came out and I've owned Nintendo systems since the NES.

Oof, that's a self-own.  You should have opened all those magazines. 

I don't mean to sound like a gatekeeper but you're seriously under qualified to be an authority on this era.  I wasn't aware of Earthbound very much beyond the title and a couple of screenshots before Smash 64, and similarly with Fire Emblem and Melee.  But then that's why it's cool that Terry is in it because now people who weren't too familiar will be and a cool series of games could get more exposure.  But the idea SNK don't deserve to be here over a heavily represented Nintendo I couldn't agree less with. 

And don't try to tell anyone fighting games were niche in the 90s.  The last 20 years, sure.  But the early to mid 90s Street Fighter was one of the biggest names around and Mortal Kombat was all over the news.  Though I wouldn't expect someone who never heard of Kirby and Metroid until the early 2000s to know that ?

?I never claim to be an authority on anything, I don't have the ego for that. Certain areas of interest, I know a lot. But I am well aware there is always a bigger fish, so to speak. My point was based on the understanding those included in Smash had to have some kind of history with Nintendo. As already stated, that is no longer the case. Which is lamentable, as there are some big names that are likely doomed to obscurity without inclusion in a game like this. Pit and the Ice Climbers are prime examples. Although Popo & Nana, alongside Captain Falcon, further the point that just because you've made it into the roster doesn't mean it will reverse your series' fortune in Nintendo's eyes.

25 minutes ago, HandsomeDead said:

And don't try to tell anyone fighting games were niche in the 90s.  The last 20 years, sure.  But the early to mid 90s Street Fighter was one of the biggest names around and Mortal Kombat was all over the news.  Though I wouldn't expect someone who never heard of Kirby and Metroid until the early 2000s to know that ?

Once again, I didn't?

I said Fighters have always been a niche genre. If anything, less so now in light of esports tournaments. My very next line in fact was "The 90's was all about the Big Names." So I do know some things?

I do vaguely remember playing Melee for the first time. Playing as Kirby, thinking this thing is great! Like Nintendo's child friendly version of Mokujin? Oh and I thought Samus was a robot, for the curious as to my stance on that. I was actually disappointed that she wasn't. Still don't think I've ever played a Kirby game. Although I think he is the only one from Smash that I haven't at least played one game of their series.   

Well behind Terry being in Smash. For a 2-D fighting geek like myself, it was a great announcement, and the trailer was superb (although I appreciate that others might not be so keen).

Reckon his moveset will be:

Neutral Special - Power Wave

Left/Right Special - Burn Knuckle

Down Special - Crack Shoot

Up Special - Rising Tackle

Final Smash - Buster Wolf

It’s funny though, he seems like too much of a perfect fit for Smash given his moveset and the fact he’s an actual fighting game character. I always prefer it when they take real oddball characters from other games and adapt them in interesting ways. If I was to criticise his inclusion it wouldn’t be that he’s not iconic enough, it would be that he’s a little (for want of a better word) “safe”.

12 hours ago, OCH said:

:unsure: This is like saying you lived in 4 different homes before noticing they all had bathrooms.

4 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

I can understand not hearing of Fire Emblem on the nes and SNES, I'm not sure it was even released here until the GBA was it? Kirby I could see people missing on the nes too, Metroid less so but the rest, over here, weren't huge franchises 

Yeah, I'm sure Fire Emblem was Japan only until the first GBA one.  But Kirby was pretty big on the OG GameBoy.  Especially the pinball game that might be weird to hear.  Though there were a lot of SNES Kirby games. 

But of course, Smash was a lot of peoples' first exposure to Earthbound in Europe. 

I never had a Gameboy. The GBA [SP] was my first Nintendo handheld. Also a caveat to my SNES, it was bought retroactively, as a birthday present. Probably a year or so before the N64 hit. It came with Mario All-Stars and I was given Mario Kart and LTTP with it. That's it. Before that, we had a NES and then a Mega Drive II. I played the SNES at other people's houses. So I missed the majority of the SNES library.

Firmware update:

• Added a search feature for the News Channel.
    • Channels can be searched using filters or free text.
  • Added “Display QR Code to Check In” to User Settings.
    • You can display a QR Code on-screen to check in using your Nintendo Account.
  • Alarm Notifications have been added to System Settings > Notifications.
    • You can check or delete pre-set alarms.
    • Alarms can be set up only within supported software (to be added at a later time).
    • A controller firmware update may be required to use this feature.
  • You can now configure touch screen sensitivity settings.
    • Select between Standard and Stylus sensitivity (optimized for stylus input).
  • Added the option to turn on/off the system button input (Nintendo Switch Lite only).
    • When this setting is turned off the system no longer receives input from the console buttons, with the exception of the Capture and HOME Buttons, and can only be operated from a wirelessly paired controller (sold separately).
    • This setting is on by default and can only be turned off if a compatible controller (sold separately) is wirelessly paired to the console.
    • The setting will automatically turn back on when the console is restarted or after returning from sleep mode.
  • Added “Online Play Invites” section to the User's page.
    • Invites from friends to join online play in supported software will be displayed in this section.
  • General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience.
    • Resolved an issue where some users can’t start the Fire Emblem: Three Houses game, and get an error instead.