passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jimboxy

(1) Popular comic book movies existed before the MCU. For example, The Dark Knight made a billion on it's own and people didn't say "I don't want anymore Batman films" after it. They only said that after a BAD film was made. There have been consistent Batman films for 30 years now, three times as long as the MCU has existed. That is a level of sustained popularity beyond being current. 

It is a little premature to assume a death knell.

(2)

Superman 2 - Zod took over the world

Batman 1/TDK- Joker took over/destroyed most of Gotham

X-Men 1 - Magneto tried to alter/kill the UN (and most of New York) with a giant glowing energy ball, potentially visible to thousands/millions.

X-Men Days of Future Past - Magneto "killed" JFK. 

Just a handful of examples of world altering stakes that were never addressed in their series again, outside of the movies they happened in. Movie audiences know comic book films are not deep or high art, they are summer blockbusters. Leave brain at the door and enjoy. It has been that way since Superman first flew in 1978. Don't panic.

I’m not saying there won’t continue to be popular comic book movies, neither am I saying the MCU is dead. Just this has the potential to be the start of the downward trend. 

And even though you are right with what happens in those other movies I think because of The interconnected nature of the MCU the audience expects things to be more fleshed out, which includes dealing with things from one movie in other movies and what that means for them.

I could also, easily, be totally wrong. I didn’t think Avengers 1 would work, I’ve predicted fatigue for this before and clearly it didn’t come to pass.

But one of these times, through sheer odds, I will be right. Hopefully this is not that but it always had potential 

@OCH whilst everything you've said is accurate, I can see what @Maf is getting at.

The MCU has been a staple of the multiplex for the last 7-8 years (I would say the first Avengers is when it went huge for Marvel Studios) and whilst that popularity has sustained, Endgame does have very much a sense of finality about it. Sure, anything MCU is going to do great business for the foreseeable future, but I don't think everything will be a $billion hit, and it probably doesn't need to be.

Secondly, MCU has always done a good job of working repercussion Into the following films, so people are going to expect to see that. Personally, I think we will see that and it'll pave the way for the next set of films.

I doubt there will be any serious decline in the popularity of the MCU, until they fuck up. The bad film always poisons the well.

Superman 4, Batman and Robin, Blade Trinity, X-Men Last Stand, Spider-Man 3 etc The MCU will have at least one, by the law of averages. No one wins every game.

Well, I like the look of this. It seems pretty unlikely that Mysterio will legit be a hero. It’s more likely for his character that he’s the one responsible for the threat they’re facing, and thus wants the glory he’ll get for “saving the day”. That’s how he presented himself in his original introduction in the comics. Don’t see why they can’t go for that angle here.

I’m up for this. Homecoming was a lot of fun. Way more so than the completely tedious Amazing films. ASM2 is one of the most boring films I’ve ever seen in my life.

After all these years and all this time I’ve got faith in Kevin Feige and the brain trust at Marvel Studios that they know what they’re doing going forward into Phase 1 of the next Saga. They’ve been planning the next phase out for the last 3+ years and the next Saga our for probably way longer than that. Can’t really get why people would doubt them at this point, they know what they’re doing.

Also there are already bad MCU movies @OCH, just none of them are Batman v Superman bad. The popular opinion is Thor 2, Ant-Man 1, Iron Man 2 and Incredible Hulk are the runts of the litter. For me personally Black Panther, Cap 2 and GOTG2 are my least favourites. 

I watched the Spidey trailer and thought it looked fantastic. It’s great they’ve got all that’s Endgame stuff in there, makes me even more hyped for it personally, absolutely adored Homecoming.

Anyone that lumps Ant Man with the awfulness of Thor 2 or Iron Man 2 needs their head examining. Ant Man is one of the most fun movies in the MCU, I haven’t seen the sequel yet.

Black Panther is massively over-rated. It was ok,but definitely not top tier. And I certainly didn’t agree with all the articles proclaiming the villain to be one of the best in the MCU. Was he fuck. I can’t even remember his name, that’s how little an impact he had.

Ant-Man is the most boring MCU movie. I watched it one and a half times because it was so soul suckingly dry to survive twice.

I would take Thor 2 or Iron Man 2 over Ant-Man any day. 

@Blakey I'm not talking about 'arguably' bad, (nor past movies) I'm talking series killing bad. It has happened before, to many long running series, it will happen to the MCU.

Between you calling out "Cap 2" AKA The Winter Soldier, widely regarded as The Best Solo Movie in the entire MCU, as bad. To @Maf's bizarre ramblings about Ant-Man, that make me think he is confusing it with the many cookie cutter Spider-Man films, you two and your hot takes... ?

So you're talking Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer and Fantastic Four (2015) bad @OCH?

Personally can't see that ever happening myself with the MCU, whilst Kevin Feige is still head of the Marvel Studios brain-trust anyway. They've had 12 years making these films now and none of them are that 'series killing' bad so can't see why they'd suddenly start churning out bad films when Phase 1 of Saga 2 begins sometime next year (presumably) if all the same key people behind the scenes are still in place.

I liked Ant-Man and thought Black Panther was massively overrated too @AndyKurosaki.

Spider-Man: FFH speculation

Spoiler

Mysterio is creating all of them monsters and in one of the fights the robot or VR or whatever trick it is goes out of control and Mysterio can’t beat it and then Spider-Man does, and that starts to fuel Mysterio’s hatred for Spider-Man because he thinks he’s trying to steal his spot light. Then the next time they team up Mysterio tries to get the monster to kill Spider-Man and that’s when Spider realises Mysterio is bullshit. Cue final battle with Spider-Man v Mysterio and all of he’s fake monsters and Spidey whoops them all

Disney put out a press release planting flags for their upcoming movies through 2027(!). 

Also noting they will release 8 new Marvel films between now and the end of 2023. 

Weirdly that hat number includes Spidrr-Man Far From Home But doesn’t include Spider-Man 3 Home Alone, Home Invasion, Home Under the Hammer, or whatever it ends up being called

So Disney has faith that people will want more Marvel at least? 

Of course people want more Marvel ? Endgame just made $2.1Bn in 2 weekends ???

I imagine two of those on the release schedule Disney put out yesterday (can be found in the film thread) will be Black Panther 2 and Spider-Man 3. Who the fuck knows what the rest of them will be.