passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Star Wars

Jimboxy

ACADEMY AWARD WINNER TAIKA WAITITI TO DIRECT AND CO-WRITE NEW STAR WARS FEATURE FILM FOR THEATRICAL RELEASE; OSCAR NOMINEE KRYSTY WILSON-CAIRNS TO CO-WRITE SCREENPLAY WITH WAITITI EMMY NOMINEE LESLYE HEADLAND TO WRITE, PRODUCE, AND SERVE AS SHOWRUNNER FOR NEW UNTITLED STAR WARS SERIES FOR DISNEY+.

Academy Award® winner Taika Waititi, who recently won Best Adapted Screenplay for Jojo Rabbit and directed the widely-acclaimed first season finale episode of The Mandalorian on Disney+, will direct and co-write a new Star Wars feature film for theatrical release.

Joining Waititi on the screenplay will be Academy Award® nominee Krysty Wilson-Cairns (1917, Last Night in Soho), who received a BAFTA Award for Outstanding British Film of the Year on the three-time Oscar-winning film, 1917.

In addition, Emmy®-nominated writer Leslye Headland (Russian Doll, Bachelorette) is currently developing a new untitled Star Wars series for Disney+. Headland will write, executive produce, and serve as showrunner for the series, which adds to a growing list of Star Wars stories for Disney’s streaming platform including The Mandalorian, now in post-production on Season Two, and two other previously announced series: one based on Cassian Andor’s life prior to the events of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story and another following the adventures of Obi-Wan Kenobi between Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith and Star Wars: A New Hope.

Release dates for both Waititi’s and Headland’s projects have not yet been announced.

I finished Mandolorian yesterday, thought it was excellent and I have faith in Waititi as his work is usually top notch.

Not related to today’s date, but as my tea cooks, I’ve decided to finally boot up Solo and see if it’s as average/dull as I’ve been told it is.

I thought it was one of the better ones tbh, at least it has some personality. That version of Han doesn't really make any sense, they've added way too much story to him, but it's far from the worst modern Star Wars film

I've seen Solo a few times now and think it's pretty good. It leans too much on fan service, but the chap playing Han does a really good job. I would have gone for a couple more Han films.

Yeah I thought Solo was excellent. Recently rewatched Solo and Rogue One with the Missus as she’s never seen them and she much preferred Solo and I dug it too.

I really like Rogue One but it’s very slow in the middle, the last 45 minutes or so on Scarif are absolutely sublime though.

I think it’s only TRoS of the modern films that I haven’t actually liked.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've now watched the last Season of Clone Wars. I think this was the best Star Wars content I've seen in a long while. Probably since the last four episodes of Season 5. There's something about the Anakin-Ahsoka setup that just works and is completely missing from most movies. The fact that Anakin is actually an interesting character here and not just a badly written weirdo also adds a lot to the overall plot of the prequel storyline. I'm also glad Ahsoka got her time to shine here after being more of regular side character in earlier seasons. I really like her as character, partly because her race is just really cool to look at (Shaak-Ti's another highlight) but also because she has some great character development over the span of the entire series.

They also really improved on the visuals and animations, it looks genuinely good and some of the fights scenes are excellent. No comparison really to the rather low-budget looking earlier seasons, though of course this is easily explained with the big time gap between productions.

I really wish they had made Filoni the big Star Wars overlord for the new movies instead of getting those big Hollywood guys that never really cared about the franchise and just came for the money. He just "gets" it and Clone Wars feels like an integral part of the story instead of some tacked on fanfiction nonsense as seen in Ep. VII-IX.

On 29/12/2020 at 18:13, Maryokutai said:

I really wish they had made Filoni the big Star Wars overlord for the new movies instead of getting those big Hollywood guys that never really cared about the franchise and just came for the money. He just "gets" it and Clone Wars feels like an integral part of the story instead of some tacked on fanfiction nonsense as seen in Ep. VII-IX.

Yeah me too, dude is a genius. I think the biggest mistake Lucasfilm made with the sequel trilogy is not having an overarching story blueprint of how all three films were gonna lead into one another and where they were going. 

If you ever get round to watching the The Gallery: BTS The Mandalorian at some point there’s one episode where Filoni explains the meaning behind the Battle of the Fates at the end of Episode 1: TPM that is genuinely mindblowing and gives you a greater appreciation for it.

• 2 weeks later...

And I now finished Rebels as well. It's a bit childish in the beginning, a bit too goofy, visually not very appealing but by the end you've come to love its quirky protagonists – Hera in particular was a great character and Chopper one of the better droids of the franchise. The final season had some standout dramatic moments and the entire show ends with a double-feature episode that feels like a proper old-school Star Wars movie. Don't judge a book by its cover, then. Not quite up there with the later seasons of Clone Wars, but very close.

I'll now pause for a day or two and then get into Mandalorian S2. I've been watching a lot of SW recently but thankfully all these shows have been so different that I've yet to grow tired of it. It's really impressive how, despite this, everything fits together nicely as a canonical whole. 

• 2 months later...

I find it rather interesting that Christensen is returning. I know the guy got a lot of flack during the prequel era but I don't think all the problems with the Anakin character were his fault. In fact, few of them probably were. Will be cool to see him as Vader, being properly directed and hopefully also having better written lines. He deserves a second (or third I suppose) chance at this and I'm happy he was willing to return. If nothing else it's good for the continuity.

• 1 month later...

This could be cool. When I started watching S7 of Clone Wars my initial thoughts about these episodes were along the lines of "why this filler stuff?" but in the end I ended up enjoying that little story arc.