passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

MFG Netflix Club - The One I Love - 07/09/15 - 14/09/15

RoboticMonk3y

Sorry guys, I'm a bit busy with work and family, but here was my plan,

on the first page I was going to summarise cue current film, who picked it, and hopefully update with a "MFG approved/Fail" stamp.

We can then do a rolling choice, taking it in turns. I've not quite worked out how to choose who goes net though.

I guess we'll jump that hurdle when we get there, but it's probably worth keeping na eye open for a film you want/love and see if it's on UK netflix ready for everyone to watch.

I watched Primer on Sunday morning and although I still found it pretty complex, I think it stands up well to a second viewing. That might depend on your tolerance for quiet, slow moving, low key films in the first place, I guess. I tend to quite like them.

The portrayal of scientific discovery in a more unglamorous down to earth setting reflecting that discoveries in the real world are sometimes made by accident; and that normal people are unprepared for the ethical implications of something like time travel, using it for the most selfish of things is something that isn't explore much in science fiction films. I think the film does it well.

I like that the scientific dialogue isn't just exposition. The guys are all smart and have been working together for some time. For them to start explaining things to each other as if to a complete newcomer would feel unnatural. It's an artistic choice that works in this film.

The last 3/4 or thereabouts where it gets really confusing on first viewing is still a bit confusing on a second watch, but I did find it generally easier to follow. The investment guy who somehow managed to find out about the box, and work out how to use it isn't explained or explored very well. It's just a clumsy way to engineer the situation where the Abe character decides it's too dangerous and they should stop using the box. It could have been better.

There's a pretty comprehensive breakdown of the film and other info at http://qntm.org/primer that I've only skimmed in the past, but may read more this week.

I'm gonna try and finish Primer today.

I'd like to throw my hat into the ring and nominate the next one - to make it a trilogy of time travel films, Donnie Darko.

We've probably all seen it before but I reckon it's worth a watch again.

There's 2 versions on Netflix, normal and Director's Cut but I'm not sure which is regarded as being the better version.

Finished Primer, watching it a second time to try and grasp what I can.

It's definitely one to watch again and read up about it.

First of all I thought that the doubles stuck around so there would be permanently at least 2 of each person, then I changed my mind and that the doubles only existed at the same time while the machine was on, then I changed my mind again and now I don't know what to think and my brain hurts.

You gotta look up the pics that help explain it. I totally thought I understood it until I saw them. Then I realised I really hadn't :D

I love it, seen it 3 times and still get confused. It's great though, so simple but so complex.

First of all I thought that the doubles stuck around so there would be permanently at least 2 of each person, then I changed my mind and that the doubles only existed at the same time while the machine was on, then I changed my mind again and now I don't know what to think and my brain hurts.

I think the way it works is that there are 2 of each person until the past versions go into the box, where they vanish from the timeline. It's why they hide away after they turn the machine on, so they don't encounter their doubles in the past and get seen together.

When Abe and Aaron both individually drugged their past doubles so they could take their place in the past events, it meant that the past versions never made it into the box, so there were now permanently 2 of each person in the timeline.

There were at least 3 versions of Aaron, although possibly more of each of them because I think they did it again a number of times to stop the guy at the party with the shotgun.

It just occurred to me: I'm not sure if I'm getting the names the right way round. Abe is the blonde guy and Arron the brown-haired one, right?

Primer.

I've seen this a few times now, and I'm impressed at how much film you get, given the budget was so slim.

I'd give this a recommendation, but with the caveat of "it's a great film, but you need to want to be paying attention to what's going on"

I like that the 'copies' seem to find it harder and harder to keep track on what's going on, even with a conversation eing recorded and played back to them, and with paged of scrawled notes.

I also like how the time travel works, it's like setting yourself a spawn point or something

I like that the film alludes at the end to a massive warehouse machine being built, like just sending a person back somehow isn't enough, imagine being able to sell people things that didn't exist yet, or being able to grab technology from a few months or even years ahead of time.

I watched the Director's Cut the other day.

I'd definitely recommend that over the original as the extra bits explain better of what's going on.

I also found a good write up helping to explain the film if anyone is interested?

Wouldn't it be advisable to edit the thread title with start and finish dates on for whatever film we're watching? It's a bit all over the place, it's not clear when we should have watched something by.

I have Donnie Darko queued up. I've seen it before, but I'm in to go around again since we're all going to be watching it.

Wouldn't it be advisable to edit the thread title with start and finish dates on for whatever film we're watching? It's a bit all over the place, it's not clear when we should have watched something by.

I have Donnie Darko queued up. I've seen it before, but I'm in to go around again since we're all going to be watching it.

you're right, it's a shitshow, isn't it?

I'll update it