passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Non-violent games for a non-gamer

Hendo

So I mentioned this in another thread but my other half doesn't do games but I'd really like to get her to join in with me on something.

The main issue is one of violence and not just blood and gore but killing or hurting people in general is a no-no. It does pose some interesting questions about why there is so much violence in gaming and how relatively hard it is to find a game that isn't about death or maiming.

I'm not looking for suggestions of casual mini-games but perhaps more thoughtful puzzle games that can ease her in.

She enjoys playing a quiz game with me and we also had some success with Tiny Bang Story that is largely a find and seek puzzle game with a beautiful art style.

Off the top of my head, I'm looking at Machinarium, the Portal games, Antichamber, Civ V (possible to play purely using diplomacy?) and Tropico 4.

Anything text-heavy like Cart Life or Depression Quest isn't going to work, especially the latter as I explained it to her and the idea was very off-putting.

A good alternative to Civ or Tropico would be Anno 1404.

I haven't tried Botanicula yet but it might be a more gentle intro than Machinarium?

I think Fez would be a really good choice if you have a 360.

My sisters loved the Broken Sword games.

Edit: Professor Layton!

Mario games always worked well with my oh, she loved Luigi's mansion really got her into gaming.

Nowadays she will pretty much watch/play anything i do. My OH just likes to watch sometimes, although i have to suffer her thoughts of video game/movie tie-ins, just watched the latest silent hill film, what a bag of crap!

Looking at my shelf the only remotely non violent games I have are Mirrors Edge which you can play peacefuly and Majin and the forsaken kingdom which was against shadowy chaps maybe, can't remember because it was a bit whack.

To be honest, does your missus want to be into games? Because if she is set on not being into them the most brilliant games in the world won't change her mind. Personally, I think someone has to have a curiosity for them before they get onto them. You can't just convince someone if they are against the very nature of video games.

But I'm gonna pose more questions. So violence is a no-no? That's fine, but what about the nature of conflict? because 99% of games are that. I mean can there not be violence without a valid context? Would she like The Walking Dead? There is a whole bunch of those violences but it doesn't make you feel good, it's part of the drama.

I think when it comes to games it's important to understand that the violence in the games isn't necessarily about enjoying the violence but the thrill of using your guile and smarts to overcome an obstacle. Yes, it may be violent but maybe some more abstract thought is required, rather than literal thought of the actual stuff happening... That was a bunch of shit, but I'm just trying to rationalise a bit.

Show her Super Hexagon.

spacechem, qube?

also is a mario level of violence acceptable? crushing creatures and stuff like he does...

maybe not what you're looking for but there are loads of non-violent games - most sports/racing/puzzle/rhythm action games for example.

No, violence regardless of how clever it is or thought-provoking is a no. The Walking Dead wouldn't go down well at all!

She's open to some games as she actively wanted to finish Tiny Bang Story with me, and some digital board games and card games have done well if she likes them in the first place. For example, she's a demon on Battleships. Yes, that involves conflict but you don't exactly see dead sailors spilling out of the ships.

The reason for all of this is I'm trying to find some common ground and compromise so what she likes to do and what I like to do can be shared as long as it's carefully thought out. She likes nothing more than trekking around the countryside where I like to sit indoors shooting people in the face.

If the weather is warm and I'm not knackered from work I can go walking with her, and in return I can find a game for her to enjoy with me, as long as it isn't either too boring or nasty.

She would probably love Bioshock Infinite if it wasn't for all the killing. I showed her a video of it before it came out and she thought it looked lovely but questioned why the violence was in it. Having finished it now, I can say that it makes sense in that world and plot, but really, it's there to sell copies.

If I only find one game a month that she finds ok then that's good enough for me.

I suppose what I'm looking for is a good story or puzzle game.

Broken Sword might be a good one with the Knights Templar stuff.

Something thought-provoking but not necessarily really negative would be good. I've been looking at Papo & Yo but unsure how much of the abusive relationship comes across.

I honestly think you're pissing in the wind here H. If she's going to be dismissive about anything with conflict in then you are pretty much fucked. That is unless you just want to play board games with her. You might as well just play the fucking board games on boards instead of on iPads or whatever.

Sorry if I come across as a dick, but that's how I see it.

there's loads of games that are non-violent, but how many of them are worth mentioning in this situation is another matter. Mr Driller is non-violent and awesome, but it's not not something you'd play with someone watching (although I think it does have a 2 player mode)

there's loads of games that are non-violent, but how many of them are worth mentioning in this situation is another matter. Mr Driller is non-violent and awesome, but it's not not something you'd play with someone watching (although I think it does have a 2 player mode)

There's a conflict right there. You are racing the other player. And conflict with the blocks. You know, from keeping them from landing on your head.