passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Forza Horizon

spatular

I'm in. I thought the demo was excellent. Starting with a dirt race was very brave of Playground, but it plays brilliantly. The Mustang v Mustang event was cool, too. I love the whole open world setting of Colorado, and there's even a hint of Burnout Paradise with upgrade billboards to smash. And speed cameras!

Day one, providing Sainsbury's get it to me on time. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the demo of this. It's not what I was expecting. It's sort of Forza, but it's also Project Gotham and Need for Speed. Project Forza Speed.

I didn't like it all that much. The cars themselves look superb. It looks like the dumbed down drifting too, in the previous Forza games sustaining slides was a heady mix of throttle control (TCS off), steering and manual gearbox manipulation. The sliding feels like how it was in PGR, which is why I drew those comparisons. Point and slide. It feels like the game is doing all the work for you, which to me takes away the accomplishment. I know there are other games where you can throw your car into a powerslide and continue it easily, such as Burnout and Outrun, but with those games it's more about navigating traffic and obstacles whilst going sideways.

I'd like another Burnout Paradise, although dependant on how many people rave over this I might give it a go anyway.

I'd like another Burnout Paradise.

So get Need for Speed-Most Wanted 2012.... it pretty much is Burnout Paradise 2 in all but name.

This is the only thing stopping me from getting this game. As good as it is, I just know Most Wanted is going to blow it out of the water.

I tried the demo of this. It's not what I was expecting. It's sort of Forza, but it's also Project Gotham and Need for Speed. Project Forza Speed.

I didn't like it all that much. The cars themselves look superb. It looks like the dumbed down drifting too, in the previous Forza games sustaining slides was a heady mix of throttle control (TCS off), steering and manual gearbox manipulation. The sliding feels like how it was in PGR, which is why I drew those comparisons. Point and slide. It feels like the game is doing all the work for you, which to me takes away the accomplishment. I know there are other games where you can throw your car into a powerslide and continue it easily, such as Burnout and Outrun, but with those games it's more about navigating traffic and obstacles whilst going sideways.

I'd like another Burnout Paradise, although dependant on how many people rave over this I might give it a go anyway.

So you drift in forza a lot?

comparisons to pgr (probably the best racing game series ever imo) are probably why I liked the demo so much :D

played this pretty much all day yesterday, and i think it's pretty flipping ace. it's an open world racing game so i have problems with it too but the good far outweighs the negative so far.

the handling is like forza but more arcadey, especially so on the default settings - its similar to pgr, but go into the options and turn on sim handling, turn off traction control etc and it feels more similar to normal forza. and the force feedback is ace. on the pad the rumble is a bit disappointing though. so anyway the handling is brilliant.

traffic - this usually annoys me, and it still does here but in its defense it is quite sparse and it probably is needed to keep the occasional long straight road more interesting.

there are a few different types of events to keep things interesting, races through the map where you have to keep an eye on the gps for directions. track races where things are boarded up so there's only one route. races against planes/helicopters. speed camera challenges. kudos style points challenges. most races are one of the first 2 though.

at the moment having to drive to events is not annoying me - i think it will start to later on though. there are points on the map you can quick travel to but it costs - unless you do the 3 challenges there - then its free (or if you only do 1 or 2 you get a discount)

the tracks vary with long open road point to point races, and pgr style tracks in small towns on the map.

you get some really nice cars in your garage from having a previous forza save.

the music is not stuff i'd usually listen to but have mostly been enjoying it. and the graphics are top notch - nice scenery to look at.

edit - just done a rally style race in an RS200 - the handling is amazing - they really should make a proper rally game :D

As much I'm enjoying this game, it falls short in a few areas.

I've seen someone somewhere suggest it feels like PGR, and I sort of agree, but Playground haven't really jumped on that. They've included all those points you tot up by drifting, drafting etc but aside from improving your rank it doesn't really do much, they missed a trick by not making it like Kudo's and giving you events that are based around earning a certain amount of points, the "Festival" also feels a little half-arsed, beyond racing theres very little else to do, they could have included drifting events for example, but in hindsight they have included things like the Mustang v Mustang race which is really rather cool.

Onlines very odd too, its incredibly secluded, you can't just decided to have a race whilst free-roaming. So if you find a great piece of road, you can't just set a start line as a waypoint on the map, get everyone to drive to it and then create a race from there (which I'm sure you could do on the original Test Drive Unlimited). The free roam (multiplayer) challenges hint that they could have done this which makes it all the more disappointing.

It is a very good game however. Its genuinely enjoyable to play and I've find myself using one car to just drive around the map in and then changing cars when I get to each individual event.

I also feel it was a mistake to not allow tuning, that Mini race that you do fairly early on for example is made all the more difficult by the fact that the car hasn't been upgraded properly or at least balanced out. I know tuning isn't for everyone, I'm not the type to spend hours and hours doing it, but on Forza 4 I'd build a car and then make a few minor tweaks in order to make it pleasurable to drive and competitive within the confines of what people were posting on my friendslist, because a big part of "Car Culture" (which is what the Forza franchise has always been about) is making your car awesome.

That being said, and I don't want all of this to be negative, so I'd like to re-iterate that I am really enjoying it when I'm playing it and the ground work is there for them to build upon, so heres hoping that he get a second game where some of the above is addressed in some manner.

^ there are kudos style events at the quick travel points, but yeah they are pretty basic and more variety pgr style would have been good I agree.

Also agree about the free roam multiplayer being a bit lacking. The other multiplayer modes seem pretty good though, I'm especially liking the various street and dirt track races, although you get idiots trying to ram everyone, but that's to be expected unfortunately.

Been playing this loads, still really liking it, the handling is really top draw, the dirt tracks in a rally car like the rs200 feels better than dirt or the recent wrc games to me, and apparently there is a rally expansion pack dlc thing coming so that could be brilliant, although I'm not sure exactly what it is.. I'm still only about half way through all the single player events, and have barely touched rivals mode yet (glad there's no setups for this), so there's plenty of game there, but at the same time it seems doable, unlike the insane forza 3/4 single player mode.

• 1 month later...

completed this a while back, 1000g and everything, thought it was pretty flipping brilliant.

the rally dlc came out today, pricey at 1600 points, for 5 cars, 7 rallys (4 stages each, but some stuff looks reused, like reverse stages etc.). i was happy to pay up anyway with the dirt races in the main game being so good. its a completely separate mode, you can use any car in the game by upgrading it to rally spec. it's pretty awesome.

i really like rally games, recently both dirt and the WRC games are pretty good imo, but dirt lacks more proper rally handling (opposite lock/pendulum stuff doesn't really work) (although what it does have is great arcade rally handling). WRC has that stuff, but the handling, while pretty good still isn't quite there for me and the force feedback isn't great. while this is a much more condensed experience i think the handling and forcefeedback are brilliant (reminds me of the old cmr games, so still on the arcade side, but i like that), it looks great, and the rally stages are pretty good too with lots of varying types of corners/hills/bumps. it's not all good though as the co driver directions aren't great - but then that is pretty normal for rally games i guess. usually i'd use the map instead but that isn't great either.

it seems harder than the main game - where i was winning easily on medium - this seems to require more effort to win on medium - initially anyway.

• 3 months later...

Free DLC out now.

Free download! This game expansion adds fun new challenges for every car available to drive in Forza Horizon, over 1000 challenges in all! Every completed challenge awards you a gold medal. The more medals you collect, the faster you dominate friends on the new 1000 Club leaderboard. Do you have what it takes to reach 1000? Download today!

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/Product/1000-Club-Expansion-Pack/a86b7cdf-bee1-4bf4-88fe-d351c7e17eb3?noSplash=1

• 4 months later...
Forza Rewards program keeps your franchise career on track.

That's right – we call playing multiple games in the same series a "career" now. It's a sensible term for Microsoft's Forza franchise, which now rewards players for their loyalty and unwavering quest to earn the glossiest models on the Nüburgring catwalk.

The Forza Rewards program tracks your progress across multiple Forza Motorsport games, starting at Forza Motorsport 2 and extending to recent games like Forza 4 and Forza Horizon. In-game progress translates to a universal pool of points, which corresponds to several tiers of rewards that can take the form of in-game currency, tokens and cars (also in-game). You're welcome to compare your progress to other players as well, but we don't recommend obsessing over tier pressure in a game like this.

If Forza's cross-game consistency sounds familiar, it's because of Microsoft's Halo Waypoint, a similar (though not as actively rewarding) program that spans the space-faring series. Just think of it as trading the lore for, umm, DeLoreans?

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/29/forza-rewards-program-keeps-your-franchise-career-on-track/

This is free on Games with Gold currently. I had it already but took this as a good time to start it as people will be playing online.

It's really good. I mean I actually prefer it to the second game, it feels a tighter package (fnar), obviously the map is smaller than the sequel and it suits me more. I think i've put about 12 hours in this week so far, going for my final wristband (gold) which is a ton easier to get in this game than the second. These Horizon games are awesome.

I've also started this thanks to GwG... Just what have I been missing!

Just over an hour in and I've loved every second, looks decent enough and the music just adds to the whole package, I have no idea why but it's reminding me of the last SSX game... and I loved that.