passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Max Payne 3

retroed

I'm playing it. Early days, on chapter four, but it's bloody brilliant.

Glad you said that as I was kind of on the fence about it. Just been into HMV and seen they're doing it for a tenner if you trade in The Witcher 2 (which i'm still not getting on with at all).

i got it for a quid by trading in bf3 and halo ce. im enjoying it by and large, the story and presentation are really good, some great lines.

gameplay isnt perfect though. my two main gripes are the cover system (and you need to use it to survive) seems at odds with the ridiculous gung ho slow mo diving head first into gunfights max payne is famous for, and the painkillers for health mechanic seems a little outdated and out of place in this modern, interactive ganster movie. so something they shouldnt have added and something they shouldve took out!

on the last chapter now. absolutely in love with it, it sets new standards imo for cinematic storytelling in games. gripping yarn, great dialogue, and all oozing style.

looks effin GOWJUSS too. the attention to detail is amazing, the enviroments are absolutely jampacked with furniture, objects and doodads relative to their location. these busy enviroments really help sell themselves as real locations, reminds me of first playing fallout 3 (my first bethesda game) and all the odds and ends strewn around really making places interesting. its not really interactive in max payne 3 but just visually, they went to town.

getting along much better with the gameplay too now, that im playing it like a cover-based shooter. i was just expecting, and hoping for slow mo acrobatics to be the main method of dispatching bad guys, but as a cover based shooter with grotesque killcams and slowmo frills, its perfectly fine.

I'm on the final level of this now, aiming to finish it this evening, and I've enjoyed every second. I can't think of another game that flows so effortlessly from one scene into the next. There are a lot of cutscenes throughout, but they have all been outstanding, and I want to watch them. The soundtrack again is second to none, it's the thing that's stood out most to me. I'd go as far as saying it's the greatest soundtrack this gen, and I'm not being hyperbolic. It's the way the various music accompanies each section, the audio design is just amazing. There are numerous locations you visit on your travels, and they've all been great to play through. So detailed too, just as TGK says. I don't mind searching for painkillers, it keeps you on your toes at times, and goes to show how much we've come to rely on regenerative health in modern games. I love using the Bullet Time mechanic, massive fun picking off your enemies one by one. I've not used the dodge that much really, it's fun jumping sideways in slow-mo, but it often leaves you exposed and struggling for cover when you come to. On the whole this is a fantastic game. If, like me, you like your games fairly linear with action to the max and a good narrative, then you must play Max Payne 3.

Rockstar done good. Very good.

Pro-tip: crank the control sensitivity up to 6,6,5 and it plays a lot better imo.

Finished it that night. Not much more to say, other than my feelings are the same and it left me wanting more.

This is the first Rockstar game that I have enjoyed playing online. There's a bunch of modes, unlocks, levelling up. The usual, but it works so well. Maps are good, too.

• 2 weeks later...

just finished this, it was a bit hit and miss for me, agree with a lot of the above though, great graphics and sound. plot was a bit messed up for me, but that's probably my fault, had a big gap while playing and couldn't remember what had happened before. even on easy it was really hard at the start but then gets easier - maybe that was me getting more used to it - probably enjoyed it a bit more near the end. the actual ending is pretty great too. max goes on a bit too much sometimes though, and bits where you have to slowly drag yourself around are really boring. other problems involve swapping sticks to aim when sniping, laser sight guns being massively useless. overall pretty good though :)

• 1 month later...

I started playing this yesterday and have just got to the slums. Max Payne to me is dark gritty noir, so how colourful it is at points put me off prior to playing it, so far though these sections have been easily the most interesting (the stadium was dark and so far easily the worst part of the game).

Like a few others have said I think having a cover mechanic is a bit at odds with how you feel you're supposed to play the game, and it does feel like you're supposed to die a lot to learn the best way to approach things (because there isn't a lot of health around). As an example, pretty much every time you open a double door it's a mini cutscene, but then there was one where I opened the door to 3 guys blasting the shit out of me. The core gameplay is still brilliant, landing a headshot before spinning around and taking someone else out.

A couple of months back I saw Graham Linehan on twitter slating the dialogue, I think it's been pretty good so far :unsure: Maybe Max's constant chunnering doesn't fit well if you weren't a fan of the old games (he may have been I don't know), but when Max is partnered up there's some pretty sharp lines, the scene in the bar was great. I'm not sure really what more they could do with the writing and keep it Max Payne?

I still like the dialogue in this, also I don't think the music got enough love, there's parts where it's pitched perfectly (on the yacht for example), kind of like Drive.

I quite like that rather than boss fights you have more epic takes on the standard gameplay. Although that being said I just beat one where there was no check point for ages, ended with a helmeted guy, and had a hidden time limit. It's a decent enough section except you can't forsee the last round of guys taking the position they do (because you're led towards a door), then you aren't supposed to use the cover that's laid out for you, as you have the previous 8 hours, instead you stand toe to toe, which has previously been suicide.

It's a great game though, I'm not sure I'll redo any of it any time soon, it's a bit more like hard work than the first 2 games that I could get through in a weekend, but some sections are amongst the best gameplay moments I've had for a very long time

I still like the dialogue in this, also I don't think the music got enough love, there's parts where it's pitched perfectly (on the yacht for example), kind of like Drive.

The soundtrack again is second to none, it's the thing that's stood out most to me.

Yep. Best soundtrack I've heard in a game in a very long time, and it's used perfectly. The final level is immense.

agreed

and it looks like I finished this just in time. R* have put out a 250mb patch in preparation for some new multiplayer levels, and it's stopping everyone from signing in to Rockstar Social Club, their pointless drm/community features that you need to access to play the game :facepalm:

• 5 months later...

I finished this on Sunday. In hindsight I would have been a lot happier playing on Medium, but i love the challenge (and the fact that it unlocks Old School and Hardcore mode) so Hard it was. The problem with this game on a higher difficulty level is that sometimes the enemies laugh off a bullet to the teeth. There were times when I laced these fools with glorious patterns of lead, only for them to get up and dust themselves off like they fell out of bed, then they point their guns toward me and I'm dead. A good shot should be a good shot no matter the difficulty setting, more of them and a higher damage infliction rate would have been sufficient.

Still, it was bitchin, although I did enjoy Stranglehold (the most direct comparison I can think of) more. Im gonna give it an evening on the next difficulty up, you know, just to see what its like.

• 1 month later...

I forget where I read this but I saw something where they were saying Max Payne 3 had a greater depth to it than people realised.

The retired cop you keep bumping in to, supposedly that's supposed to be Max if his life had gone differently, if he'd been there to save his wife. It just came across as weird to me, I kept waiting for him to be revealed as the secret evil mastermind or something

Got to the second New York flashback, having lots of fun though have died rather a lot.

Is there any explanation I missed for him shaving his head? I thought it was that he wanted to go in disguise as he knew people were after him, but then one person he met clocked him straight away anyway.

I forget where I read this but I saw something where they were saying Max Payne 3 had a greater depth to it than people realised.

The retired cop you keep bumping in to, supposedly that's supposed to be Max if his life had gone differently, if he'd been there to save his wife. It just came across as weird to me, I kept waiting for him to be revealed as the secret evil mastermind or something

I heard about this a while back and thought it was a cool explanation for him popping up all over, but I'm not sure there's that much deeper meaning in a game like Max Payne 3.

I assume the explanation for him shaving his head was because he snapped and wanted to be all edgy and mental looking. Mission accomplished!