passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Giant Bomb Mega Thread

David

Watched/heard a lot of the GOTY stuff now.

Poor Jason. He always gets screwed over in these, but this year seemed worse. 

Most Distressing was hilarious at parts.

Potential spoilers for people not listened yet. 

Spoiler

FFVIIR was done dirty big time in music and GOTY. 
Last of Us got slapped about a bit too. 
DOOM Eternal hate still disappoints even though I already knew how the staff felt about it. 
Was weirdly satisfying to hear them slag off Animal Crossing though. Everyone else seems to have forgotten the amount of bullshit in it. 

This video is over a month old but GB have a good playdate video here where Brad flexes his 3080 on Quake II and Minecraft

https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/more-like-raydate/2970-20875/premium-video

Cause both of these games are fairly rudimentary visually they push 'path tracing' way harder than most games. It's a pretty cool look at what the tech can do, even if there's nothing out there that's going to use it like this for a very long time. Quake II melts a 700 GBP card,that's where we're at right now

Light carries the properties of stuff it bounces off. Dynamic shadows, gibs cast their own shadow, TECHNOLOGY

On their goty stuff was bummed to not hear much Alyx discussion. I think the GB guys are a bit spoilt by their studio setup and the freedom it gives, imo even with space constraints like the dudes have you can still have a pretty good experience with the game once you adjust your 'guardian/virtual environment' sensitivity settings. It's dismissal by Jeff earlier in the year as just a survival horror with VR reloading is annoying but whatevers 

I barely watched the GOTY stuff this year, and turned off the actual GOTY podcast after they'd settled on a top 10. It could be that usually I'm at my parents over christmas and could do with something to watch/listen to, but for whatever reason my tolerance for the more idiosyncratic aspects of GB just wasn't there.

They aren't great critics and showing their process like this really shines a light on that

The back end of the year for GB wasn't great. They had their moments during lock down, so hopefully once they've got their feet under the desk with the new company they pick up. They really, really need some new energy though

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wait, what?!?!? Noooooo... Not Vinny :( Him and Jan made a fantastic team recently & me enjoy watching Kingdom Hearts which I never thought would happen. 

Yea, I think that’s it. That’s 3 ‘main’ guys gone as well as a general downhill trend in quality. Wonder if it’s anything to do with the buyout which recently happened? 

watching that video it makes me feel slightly more confident they might be starting something new together, I hope so anyway. I mean, I could live without Brad, but I'd still rather have him as part of what the others do than there not being a thing the others go on to do