passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The PC bucket...

Sly Reflex

I've been playing Hard Reset recently, after picking it up in the Steam Xmas sale.

In the beginning it definitely feels like a nod to old school FPSes (enemies rush you headlong and you backpedal or circle strafe while firing frantically). And in that first hour I was kind of reminded I didn't like FPSes back then.

When you start to get upgrades for your guns it begins to feel like a much more enjoyable game, as the additional firing modes give you ways to deal with each enemy in more efficient ways. It's quite tough too, I had to drop it to easy a couple of times to get through.

It looks fantastic, and the way explosions send debris flying all round the environment leads to some awesome feeling battles.

• 3 weeks later...

This isn't a game but it is game related so I thought I'd share it. I've just moved my steam folder from my c drive onto my 2nd hdd. I bought the 2nd drive for the video podcasts we did, as such it's faster than my main one so I'm hoping it'll improve the load in on some games. Basically while I was playing Assassin's Creed 2 higher res textures were loading in as I got close (usually my first time in an area since it loaded), it's probably the engine but I was reading a Digital Foundry piece and thought I'd give it a go. It's sort of inspired by Rage too, as the new update to that moaned about something or other.

The downside is that it's 'only' 1tb, which I know is plenty, but I like the idea of having all my games installed, and I'm not sure I can anymore. Hardly the end of the world to delete games I'm done with so hopefully the benefits outweigh that cost

Edit: oh yeah, craymen I played some Hard Reset, got past where the demo ends (I think I'd just escaped a tower/tallish building) seemed pretty good. I struggled with some of the encounters, particularly the one that killed me. I'm not good enough at using the scenery to my advantage, so anything begger than a drone and I'm in trouble

Amnesia sequel confirmed, collaboration between Frictional and Dear Esther devs thechineseroom:

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, a follow-up to the supremely scary 2010 PC survival horror, launches later this year, Frictional Games has announced.

As detailed on Joystiq, the game takes place in the same universe as the original but features an entirely new cast of characters.

Set in 1889, it follows "wealthy industrialist" Oswald Mandus who has just returned from an ill-fated trip to Mexico which ended in tragedy. He's picked up a fever and is haunted by visions of a mysterious machine.

Dear Esther studio thechineseroom is taking over development duties from Frictional, with a launch planned for this Autumn.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-22-amnesia-a-machine-for-pigs-announced-for-pc

• 4 weeks later...

I opened up Monica's PC yesterday to put a 2nd HDD in there.

It's not a bad unit, she bought it from PC World with some credit last year and it was quite reasonable.

Except when I opened it up, I can't believe how much they cheaped out on the PSU. After the motherboard/cpu power connectors etc, it has a grand total of four connectors - (2 SATA & 2 general Molex sockets), and they're all used. Jeez.

I opened up Monica's PC yesterday to put a 2nd HDD in there.

It's not a bad unit, she bought it from PC World with some credit last year and it was quite reasonable.

Except when I opened it up, I can't believe how much they cheaped out on the PSU. After the motherboard/cpu power connectors etc, it has a grand total of four connectors - (2 SATA & 2 general Molex sockets), and they're all used. Jeez.

That's Pc World for you. Luckily, a new PSU is quite cheap. I personally use www.ebuyer.com, or www.novatech.co.uk.

That's Pc World for you. Luckily, a new PSU is quite cheap. I personally use www.ebuyer.com, or www.novatech.co.uk.

I think I might just go with a 90p Molex splitter for now.

I'll save the PSU replacement - and hand destruction that goes with fitting it - until she needs a new graphics card too.

But seriously, i've never seen such a useless PSU before.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Some interesting observations about the migratory nature of MMO players during this Quick look for the new kid on the block, also a lot of chatter about the Old Republic from the people in the world chat - at least the ones who are not talking about having sex with children, which is something of a issue caused by Tera...

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I played the demo of XCOM: Enemy Unkown

(It's aliens!)

and I really like it.

It comes out the same day as Dishonored, which is typical really, 2 games I'm really interested in coming out on the same day. That said, you have to be a little mental to pay £30 for a digital download of a game on PC, so I'll probably wait a while for both until they're discounted.

• 2 weeks later...

I caved, and pre-orederd both Dishonoured and XCOM since my last post. Through a combination of bargain hunting and vouchers it only cost me £45 for both, and got a spare Steam code for Civ V I might try to sell on eBay, so it's all good.

PC's are a massive pain in the arse sometimes.

I installed a new PSU and a Radeon HD 7870 the other week, and had to take off my CPU heatsink/cooler to make room to work in the case; I noticed the thermal grease on the CPU looked a bit dry and powdery. I opened the case back up yesterday to sort it out, and somehow sliced the tip of my thumb open on something inside. It's bloody hard to re-seat a heatsink without the use of both thumbs. But I did manage to apply a lovely new layer of thermal grease. (with only a tinyamount of blood)

Since the upgrade, i had been having intermittent graphics driver crashes when gaming, which close the game and dump me to desktop. I've gone through driver rollbacks, re-installation, etc. with mixed results. But I reseated the card and swapped over the PCI-E power connections (I have 2 pairs on this PSU) while doing the heatsink and managed to play Just Cause 2 solidly all day yesterday, so fingers crossed. If it crashes again, I'm sending the card back.

• 2 months later...

I got an indie game called Towns in the steam sales. The tutorials for it are totally gash. I've watched a few vids on yt and they are not much help either. It reminds me of the old days on the Amiga when you'd pirate something ridiculously complicated and have to play trail by error. I've a feeling it'll turn out good once I figure stuff out. I'll do a proper write up on it when I understand it a bit better.

Did anyone else take the risk and pick it up?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I knew nothing about it, but apparently Hard Reset had a retail "Extended Edition" last year with an extra chapter in it. I also didn't know they released this extra content as free DLC for owners of the Steam version.

So basically, I started Hard Reset again. Its not that long so I'm going to play through the whole thing before going into the Exile DLC. It still looks fantastic, and making robuts fall to pieces and things asplode is still a lot of fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought a new 1.5 terabyte drive for my pc. I took out an aging 350 gigabyte hard drive and then did a bit of shifting around with my music folder and Steam folder. And now it's all sorted. I bought a Sata caddy from eBay, and put the old 350 drive in it. It works fine as a USB drive now.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A little while ago, my daughter broke my wife's laptop screen. I thought I'd post pics of the repair process. The new screen cost only £40 from ebay, with no other costs involved. Repair time was thirty minutes.

1012993_10151690160342192_906708456_n.jp

The broken screen. Here, I've just removed the front bezel.

1001350_10151690160347192_1144819475_n.j

Removing the screen back, and unscrewing the LCD from the hinge.

1001185_10151690160332192_2127915525_n.j

The LCD unscrewed from the hinge. The grey wire powers and controls the LCD screen, and the webcab. The two brown squares you can see right at the back are the Wi-fi antennae

947232_10151690160467192_1667788008_n.jp

The screen completely disconnected. The laptop will still work in this condition, if you plug in a regular computer monitor, or use the HDMI TV output.

480438_10151690160532192_1208431945_n.jp

Unboxing the new screen. Only £40 from eBay. Make sure to order the correct screen for your model laptop.

544389_10151690160577192_1124742798_n.jp

Reconnecting the LCD power and control lead, after screwing the new LCD to the hinge.

947232_10151690160627192_952170257_n.jpg

Power on test before to make sure everything works before putting the screen back and bezel back on.

1001299_10151690160662192_809095013_n.jp

The repaired Laptop. Not a gaming rig, but it's used for shopping and bill paying.

There's a new Sonic fan game I've just given a go and I think it's worth playing: Sonic After the Sequel

It takes place after the events of Sonic 2 and it is designed in a way that's quite similar. The classic physics are present and feel pretty good and it looks and sounds amazing. The music is really cool and Sonic-y and the art on the levels is quite original.

The only thing I don't really like is the collision detection feels a bit off at times but other than that it's a good classic Sonic game. Give it a go.