passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy VII

Sly Reflex

I've been playing this on switch. One thing I've noticed is they switch version has a very noticeable vaseline filter over everything which smudges the backgrounds and ruins some of the art. It's like the opposite to that cool background mod for the pc version. It also does that dumb thing some emulators do where they round the edges of text.

Other than that it's fine I guess. Tho I did get a crash just after the Sephiroth flashback... so I had to do it all over again ?

• 2 weeks later...

Music is rubbish. It's ripped from the PC version which has horrible midi versions of the music.

There's a huge difference in music quality between PS1 and subsequent ports. I was hoping this port would use the PS1 music but it doesn't.

The bigger problem with the Switch port is visual. It's fine on the small screen but if you plug it into a big TV you will see this weird filtering which causes smudging to the backgrounds, the text and also causes some weird visual glitches as well (the library on Nibelheim has the outline of a 3d object just floating in mid air, hard to explain but if you go by there you will see it.)

Audio is fine though. It's all based off an old 90s sound chip so yeah it's fairly thinny compared to modern soundtracks but they did a good job porting that part over as it was as originally at least. Because sometimes Switch ports get audio downgrades, like with Dark Souls.

I just don't like how it sounds on the Switch.

Never said it wasn't a good soundtrack, it's one of my favourites, there are just  better versions out there.

As good a port as it may be it isn't 1:1 with the PS1 version, which is the one I've been playing for 20 years so I've noticed a difference. Just because you can't hear difference doesn't mean I can't.

All due respect I don't understand what it is you're hearing that's different. I've played the original game a lot over the last 20 years too and this is the same soundfont as on that, not the pc MIDI.

Unles you're talking about something else, like audio quality.