passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

retroed

So, a 20 minute play before I go to sleep turned into a 3 hour session where I deal in drugs, help a stranger

buy up slums

, help another stranger that

ends up becoming a thorn in my side

, raid ammonation's vans, raid

the Spanish cartels drug vans (a pain in the arse, but woah, you make a lot of cash when it goes right)

, find a

chainsaw

, get addicted to scratch cards and make a nice stock pile of powders back at the safehouse for when the prices rise. An eventful night no doubt. I really like the way your safehouse gets decked out as you play the game too, I just got some golden binoculars for finding 40 dealers.

Can anyone fill me in on the cameras that dot the city? Are they like the pigeons of this version, I seem to remember a mission mentioning them, but I wasn't paying attention fully and now I have not got a clue to what to do with them. :blush:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did the Trail Blazer mission last night. I swear, this mission alone showed more inspiration over all the missions in GTAIV. I hope that R* North are paying attention to what the boys in Leeds are doing, as the missions piss all over what the bigger brothers have done. Another highlight was when I took my boss in the back of a

pick up mounted with a mini gun

to teach some rival drug dealers a lesson. Just awesome.

im going to start this soon, dont kill me illdog but i just thought id chime and say yes the ds lites dpad is plop. i was hoping it would be of gameboy micro standard which is one of the best dpads ive ever used, the best on a handheld, but alas :(. makes playing gba KoF and SF2/A3 on it a chore for shore

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Now confirmed that it's coming to the PSP.

Rockstar Games has announced a PSP version of Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars. The game will be released in Europe and the US this autumn.

Rockstar Leeds will develop, and focus on the strengths of the handheld; widescreen support, better lighting, animation and all-new story missions.

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars earned top marks on DS back in March, although retail reception was tame.

For a game that got pirated to buggery and so didn't sell as expected, to be put on the PSP of all things, well, that's an odd move.

• 3 weeks later...

Im torn. When its fun and going well its a good laugh and the sound effects and dialogue can be funny, its just its a bit tight sometimes, driving is more awkward than it should be and the combat system seems based purely on luck. Also, everytimes i turn a tight corner at speed at the end of a mission when im seconds away from my destination i always seem to hit a rozzer, altho thats probably my bad luck.

• 4 months later...
Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars is one of the best DS games of the year. but high scores from critics haven't been matched with high sales, something that frustrates Nintendo's Cammie Dunaway.

Nintendo of America's executive vice president of sales & marketing believes more marketing support should be put behind it to ensure improved sales.

"It's frustrating," Dunaway told MTV. "Certainly there have been mature titles - Resident Evil, the first Call Of Duty - that have sold over 1 million units. With something like GTA there's great content there and we do think that it will have a long tail and we've seen that with a lot of titles across all genres on DS.

"Part of what's needed is that you have to put marketing support behind these titles. One of the things we've learned is that the dynamic of 'throw it on television for a few weeks and then move on and forget about it' just doesn't work because consumers are out there and new consumers are coming all the time so you've got to keep coming up with new ways to expose it.

"I think they should continue to put marketing support behind it," she concluded.

Hmmm, not convinced it was due to a lack of marketing, love.