passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

retroed

It's unbelievable the amount of content they have managed to squeeze onto a DS cartridge.

The gameplay is very tight, loving the controls completely, and the mini-games aren't just tacked on. This has been built from the ground up taking the DS features into account, and it shows. If you saw my post in the latest purchases thread, you will see that the world is huge, only leaving off Alderney from GTAIV's map. I'm around 13% into the story so far, and I'm having a superb time with it. The dialogue is superb, very witty.

I love that for a GTA first, you can now aid the ridding of your wanted level by taking out the Police cars. The GPS system works very well too, you can mark any target on the map and it'll guide you on the bottom screen. You can replay any missions you have previously finished, another GTA first. It's simple to restart a mission if you fail, too, and you can cut out the trip to it as well, taking you straight to the action. Chinatown Wars relys heavily on drug dealing, and is a great way to build up your funds. Or you can try your luck on the scratch cards, you may even win a home! I haven't yet, though.

This could just be the best GTA yet. I think it'll end up being my favourite, anyway. Portable, bite-sized missions FTW.

It's still only £17.99 at Play.com, too.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still remember the fapping over Phantom Hourglass so I remain cautious/cynical.

I've heard that this returns GTA back to "pre-GTA IV levels of fun". Seeing how IV was the only one I enjoyed, I might not bother.

I haven't set it up as our home network is WPA and I'm not sure I want to use WEP. I may end up doing so, though.

20% in now and I've won a safe house on a scratch card, woohoo! I'm spending a lot of the time dealing drugs, buying when they're cheap and selling when there's demand. It's a bit like the turnips in Animal Crossing, only better.

I can't believe no-one else has this yet.

Settle down, bud. I have it, not played it a great deal (7.29%) but I am impressed with what they've done, I was doing some taxi missions which took me all over the place and I couldn't believe how much I could reconize from GTA4. I've done the buy more games than I can physically play thing again, and Persona 4 is such a time sink.

Settle down, bud. I have it, not played it a great deal (7.29%) but I am impressed with what they've done, I was doing some taxi missions which took me all over the place and I couldn't believe how much I could reconize from GTA4. I've done the buy more games than I can physically play thing again, and Persona 4 is such a time sink.

Sorry. :blush: I just love it to bits. It's easily my favourite GTA, and up there with the very best in DS gaming. One mission in particular had me smiling and thinking that's a really nice touch, R*. I won't spoil what it is but it involved a boat, and it's what's going on around you that I really appreciated. I'm still drug dealing and got over 40K from one deal earlier. The buying more games than you can physically play syndrome is something I suffer very badly from, but this refuses to leave my DS.

wiivo, it's worth the wait. :)

Well now I have no choice other than to buy this, look what youve done. When I go the 'Eds Deals' thread this had better be free.

Im going to NY in a week for 9 days so this will see me part way through the plane journey.

Ive bought it now, so if I dont like this then its Ed's fault.

If you like GTA, you'll love it, it is really good.

Still getting into it, seems a bit clunky still but I'm getting better all the time...

Ive bought it now, so if I dont like this then its Ed's fault.

If you like GTA, you'll love it, it is really good.

Still getting into it, seems a bit clunky still but I'm getting better all the time...

I like GTA, but I always stop playing them before I've really gotten started. Chinatown Wars however, I just can't get enough of! The missions I played today were made of pure WIN. I don't want to spoil any of it, so I won't say what they were except that one was called Dragon Haul Z (the name itself is amazing), after roughly the 25% mark the missions are really kicking in with a lot of variety.

Wow this game is a pretty special thing. the way the interface works is just great, puts some of the console offerings to shame. It manages to acheive more convenience and usability than the 360's interface does....how can this happen?!

I cant beleive that this isnt the site next big game, considering how much we all adore the DS. The biggest shame about this game is that it uses the friends code network, which makes it harder for people to just jump in and out of the games, and thats really all thats bad with it, and even this issue isnt the game's fault.

I got a cool little extra content card that you get for pre-ordering, even though I didnt pre-order. I can just imagine playing this on my lovely DSi when I eventually get it.

Almost 40% in now, and the missions are getting slightly longer/trickier, which is a good thing. I haven't actually used the Amunation store to get any guns yet. If I don't have any weapons or ammo I just use my fists cos I'm proper hardcore like that.

How's everyone else getting along? I notice Hendo purchased it the other day. :)

How's everyone else getting along? I notice Hendo purchased it the other day. :)

I got as far as the safe house at the beginning and then my battery light went red so I turned it off. Still haven't gone back to it or charged my DS.

From the little I played, I thought it controlled quite well, but the dialogue seemed a bit crap to be honest. It might come out better being delivered by voice, but seeing the lines on the screen it seemed very forced. Like, trying to cram in as much of the guy's background as possible in about 4 lines.

I'm finding the dialogue excellent, very sharp. I'm at around 49% now and just did a mammoth mission that could have almost been the final one. I can't be far from the end of the story, it's all I've been focusing on lately as opposed to the drug trading etc, and some of the characters seem to be wrapping things up.