passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Shmup Thread

spatular

• 2 weeks later...

good preordering illdog :D

It looks like Shikigami no Shiro to me, hope it plays like it. There's been a few that have characters instead of a ship, I always think it messes with your hitbox a bit

yeah it can mess up the hit box, in shiki 2 it's handled really well, the hit box glows like a star/light when you're near bullets.

been playing some battle garegga for a shmup tourny and although i suck at it and it's one of the most complicated games in existence (i just ignore the complicated stuff) i'm really enjoying it :D (last weekend to submit a score Jimbo ;))

and space invaders extreme 2 arrived today, for a bargain price thanks to Ben in the bargain section, and it's awesome, the first one was great but from the few plays i've had this seems even better, might post some propper impressions of that when it's had more play.

• 2 weeks later...

SaNch3Z from x360a translated Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.5's cheeves fro anyone who cares:

旅立ち : Start the game - 5G

立ちはだかる恐獣 : Kill stage 1's boss - 5G

凍える海の海獣 : Kill stage 2's boss - 10G

密林の甲獣 : Kill stage 3's boss - 10G

途中の厄介者 : Kill stage 4's small boss - 15G

甲獣王 : Kill stage 4's boss - 15G

神殿にはびこる長い奴 : Kill stage 5's small boss - 10G

フェイク : Kill stage 5's boss - 20G

覚悟 : Kill stage 5's boss(true) - 25G

未来 : Clear original mode with Reco - 15G

これから : Clear original mode with Palm - 15G

力の証 : Clear original mode with Reco in one credit(novice mode not allowed) - 30G

レコの軌跡 : Clear maniac mode with Reco - 15G

パルムの旅路 : Clear maniac mode with Palm - 15G

まにあなレコ : Clear maniac mode with Reco in one credit(novice mode not allowed) - 25G

まにあなパルム : Clear maniac mode with Palm in one credit(novice mode not allowed) - 25G

秘めた実力の証 : Clear original mode with Palm in one credit(novice mode not allowed) - 30G

レコの試練 : Clear ultra mode with Reco - 20G

パルムの試練 : Clear ultra mode with Palm - 20G

元気はつらつ : Get a power up - 5G

元気100倍 : Get power up at max - 10G

爆弾 : Pick up a bomb - 5G

琥珀収集家 : Pick up 30.000 ambers in original mode(in a single game) - 10G

さよならタウロン : Destruct all "taurons" on stage 5(in a single game) - 25G

珍品 : Pick up a green amber - 5G

変色 : In maniac mode, transform 250 ambers into blue ambers(in a single time) - 15G

マニアックな入門 : In maniac mode, get multiplicator x1.000 - 10G

マニアックな兵法 : In maniac mode, get multiplicator x5.000 - 30G

マニアックでまにあっく : In maniac mode, get multiplicator x9.999 - 50G

オリジナルへの登竜門 : Score more than 100.000.000 in original mode - 15G

オリジナルへの挑戦 : Score more than 200.000.000 in original mode(novice mode not allowed) - 30G

マニアックへの登竜門 : Score more than 100.000.000 in maniac mode - 15G

マニアックへの挑戦 : Score more than 300.000.000 in maniac mode(novice mode not allowed) - 30G

ありがとう : Clear all modes in arrange, in one credit(each) - 80G

もう一人の??? : Kill Larsa in ultra arrange mode - 30G

己の力 : In arrange mode, reach the second loop(without changing character) - 15G

ふたりの勝利 : Clear all modes in arrange - 30G

フィーバー : Activate fever in arrange - 25G

やり手 : In arrange, get a counter(not sure what is it) higher than 100.000 - 20G

• 1 month later...

people are going gaga over how good the Futari port is, apparently it's amazing, and it has the most options ever or something :D

espgaluda 2 has also been dated for the 25th february, hope they continue the region free thing. also espgaluda 2 is flipping brilliant.

info from the shmups forum as usual :)

• 2 weeks later...

Mushihimesama Futari Black Label DLC is out 1200 points and apparently you can get it ok from a UK account (making the 1400 japanese points i've just bought useless), just wish the game would arrive, fingers crossed for a 1.01 dlc card too.

edit - oh yeah, there's a location test for dodonpachi DFK black label today too. all info from the shmup forum as usual :)

just arrived! loads of people were waiting ages, not just me. no 1.01 DLC :( it doesn't work in my UK 360 but does work in the Asian 360 :? - i seriously doubt anyone else has had this problem. it's definitely region free, i suspect my 360 is on the way out, it's pretty old, but it still reads l4d2 (and i assume the rest of my games) ok :|

• 1 month later...

people probably already know this but deathsmiles is getting a US release, good news in itself and it could be region free....but it also means that a repeat of japanese region freeness like what happened for futari is unlikely to happen again, and they've pretty much confirmed (imo anyway) espgaluda 2 won't be region free by just not answering the question.

edit - info from the shmups forum as usual http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14101&start=2250

• 4 weeks later...

EspGaluda II region free...ish

Japanese developer Cave is bringing its arcade bullet hell shooter EspGaluda II to the Xbox 360 in Limited Edition and Standard Edition. For those players living outside Japan, which should they buy?

"The Limited Edition of EspGaluda II will be region-locked to Japan because we didn't have enough time to get the application in before pressing," says Cave producer Makoto Asada. "However, we were able to make the standard edition region-free in to show our appreciation for the support we have from overseas fans."

So to review: If you do not have a Japanese Xbox 360 and want to play EspGaluda II, then get the Standard Edition. If you have a Japanese Xbox 360, get whichever you like. And if you don't have an Xbox 360, well, then head to your nearest Japanese arcade!

EspGaluda II will be released on February 25. Bundled with a two disc soundtrack, the game will be priced at ¥7,329 (US$85). There is a limited edition bundle with a faceplate — yours for ¥9,660 ($111).

500x_500x_image7_01.jpg

tbh i thought they would stop making them region free anyway, especially now that they have a US publisher for deathsmiles i'm not sure it makes much business sence for them but it's great for us!

if you were only going to get one of the 2 i'd go for futari, although i haven't played the new modes on espgaluda 2, just going on the main games futari has an easier to get into scoring system(s) and the more beginner friendly original mode, although they both have novice modes in the port, and they are both awesome to the max, i sort of hit a brick wall with espgaluda 2, and the scoring is mega complicated, but can be ignored and the game is still fun.

http://cave-game.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2010/02/thank-you.html

bad news from Cave - no further plans for region free games :(

info from shmups forum as usual. http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28705&start=750

they are going to continue to try and get thier games localised though so hope is not completely lost, but america have more chance of localisations than we do at the moment.