passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Currently listening to....

RivaOni

220px-Desire_Lines_%28Camera_Obscura_alb

Camera Obscura - Desire Lines

Comfortably more of the same jangly twee-pop from Camera Obscura, although it might be their weakest album in a while.

Camera Obscura - Fifth in Line to the Throne

220px-Onceiwasaneagle.jpg

Laura Marling - Once I Was an Eagle

I love this album, one of my favourites of the year for sure. Timeless music in the vein of Joni Mitchell that doesn't sound in the least bit forced. And she's only 23. One of the best UK musicians around at the moment.

Laura Marling - Once (Live)

220px-Field_of_Reeds.jpg

These New Puritans - Field of Reeds

Like Laura Marling, I've never listened to These New Puritans before this album but wow - another great UK album. I've listened to it about five times since yesterday. Part 70s prog, part Radiohead, part Mark Hollis/Talk Talk...great stuff.

These New Puritans - Fragment Two

There are a lot of UK bands around I like at the moment (The xx, Wild Beasts, The Horrors) but the sophistication in Laura Marling and These New Puritan's new albums is very impressive.

I woke up with the urge to listen to Reef this morning. I've been listening to Rides, which is the album they did after everyone else stopped caring about them, which is a shame because it's a good album. The singer didn't half make some odd noises though

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the new Queens of the Stone Age album this morning and I listened to it while I shopped in Asda.

I think I like it a lot, but I feel like I shouldn't. It's like, individually, I can't point at a song and say 'yes, this is great' (maybe I Sat By the Ocean) but it's an enjoyable album to listen to that's steadily good, unlike Era Vulgaris which was really up and down. I dunno if there are any good gig-type tracks on it, though. It's an unusually low-key QotSA.

I bought a few albums the other week. Mogwai's soundtrack to The Returned, which is an awesome soundtrack and works really well in the show, but it's less amazing as an album in its own right. Alice in Chains (The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here) which has either the best or worst name ever but is a pretty solid album, Voices is as good a song as any AIC

Then I bought 2 albums by bands I'd never heard before; Iceage, which is kind of punk vocals over At The Drive In music. It's pretty good, but it needs to be listened to at volume, which limits when I get to listen to it. I also got Junip, I posted a track in the Song a Day thread, it's got some awesome stuff on it. I'm not sure how much I like the sound as an album, but the good songs have that special 'I need to listen to this repeatedly' thing going on

Tonight though I loaded up all Pearl Jam's studio albums in chronological order and have started listening. It's over 7 hours of music so I doubt I'll get through it all tonight, especially as I'm only up to No Code now. I don't think I'll ever tire of hearing Long Road :(

it's why I can't decide if it's a good title or not. It's funny that they're taking the piss like that, but I dunno...

There is something I find slightly crass about it for some reason. Do keep meaning to give the album a listen though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

61QZefqW7zL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Angel Olsen - Half Way Home

This came around the end of last year I think, but I've only discovered her now. Very nice old folk style. Similar enough to Laura Marling.

Angel Olsen - Tiniest Seed

519V2xIqYCL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

King Krule - 6 Feet Beneath the Moon

Love this album, one of my favourites of the year. Been listening to it regularly for over a month now.

King Krule - Easy Easy

518DXA7ArRL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

London Grammar - If You Wait

Another new favourite, fantastic album from beginning to end.

London Grammar - Strong

61JHuThW4wL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Neko Case - The Worse Things Get, The Harder I Fight, The Harder I Fight, The More I Love You

I freakin' love Neko Case and this album is great. I heartily recommend everything she's done!

Neko Case - Night Still Comes

51OdPDtc8%2BL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Volcano Choir - Repave

I wasn't a big fan of Volcano Choir's first album but this sounds much closer to Justin Vernon's Bon Iver material, although he sings more in a lower register here. A nice surprise.

Volcano Choir - Alaskans

I've been listening to 6 Feet Beneath the Moon a lot, it's fantastic.

My other recent purchase is Secondhand Rapture by MS MR

MS_MR_Secondhand_Rapture.jpg
I'm really enjoying it, and listening to it loads at work.

<iframe src="https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify:album:3OzeRt6qBaj92n9yjiZBPt" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

Their videos are pretty damn weird

• 2 months later...

Since September I've been listening to a lot of albums, here's a quick run through:

Arcade Fire - Reflektor

Wasn't a fan of The Suburbs but this is fantastic, excellent album and a big improvement from them.

Beyonce - Beyonce

This came out yesterday and I've just listened through it once, seems really good. On first listen I really liked Rocket and XO.

Haim - Days Are Gone

I burned this to a cd so I could play it in the car, really cool album. Debut album as well. My favourite track is probably Honey & I or Let Me Go.

Lorde - Pure Heroine

In the space of a few weeks I ended up listening to a lot of female pop records. I posted her song Royals in the song a day thread, you've probably heard it on the radio. But most of the tracks are solid. Another debut album from a youngster.

Mutual Benefit - Love's Crushing Diamond

Had to listen to this after playing the single Advanced Falconry endlessly on repeat. It's a nice, short album, reminiscent of Fleet Foxes' first album.

San Fermin - San Fermin

I've only had this for a few days. It's a kind of orchestral pop album. Haven't really got to grips with it yet, but it does sound very nice. Got excellent reviews.

Sky Ferreira - Night Time, My Time

Similar to Lorde but grungier, and better. I Blame Myself is a good example.

Solange - True EP

This came out last year but I've just discovered her (she's Beyonce's sister). Stunning cd, every track is killer. Playing it over and over.

I think that's it. All good stuff really.

So, I've been listening to the Macklemore album of the back of the catchy singles, and I actually think it's pretty good. He has a slightly strange "flow" (I don't really know what I'm talking about here...) which I'm not sure if it's good or really bad, but lyrically it's pretty interesting. He does a good line in social commentary, I'm not sure of his background but I get the impression he's come up from "the streets" so to speak.

Here ends Jim's Hip Hop Review, stay tuned for the next episode.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Been a crazy (good) year for music so far:

220px-Beck_Morning_Phase.jpg

Beck - Morning Phase

Really nice album in the style of Sea Change (and if you don't like Sea Change :fist: ). It doesn't hit you like Sea Change but the more I listen to it the more I like it.

Favourite song: Heart is a Drum

220px-St_Vincent_artwork.jpg

St. Vincent - St. Vincent

St. Vincent is one of those indie darlings that never quite clicked with me, even though I've listened to most of her albums at some point or another. Over the years her music has changed a lot, compare "The Strangers" on her 2009 album Actor to "Birth in Reverse" on this one. But I have to hold my hands up. In the words of Gob in Arrested Development, "I've made a huge mistake". St. Vincent is a thoroughly excellent album. This is the sound of an inventive and confident artist completely in her stride.

Favourite songs: Birth in Reverse, Severed Crossed Fingers

220px-Benjisunkilmoon.jpg

Sun Kil Moon - Benji

I love Red House Painters, especially their self-titled "Rollercoaster" album and Songs for a Blue Guitar. Songs like Grace Cathedral Park, Katy Song, New Jersey, Have You Forgotten and All Mixed Up are probably up there with my most played songs ever. And Kozelek's various cover albums, What's Next to the Moon (AC/DC), Tiny Cities (Modest Mouse) - but Tiny Cities aside, I haven't really listened to Sun Kil Moon. Well anyway, Benji is just fucking amazing. The album opens with one of the best songs I've ever heard, Carissa, which pretty much sets the tone for the moving, poetic lyrics of the album. In fact the whole thing feels as much like a reading of poetry as it does a music album.

Favourite song: Carissa

220px-Wild_Beasts_-_Present_Tense.jpg

Wild Beasts - Present Tense

Take your hat off to Wild Beasts, they've done it again. 2009 was the year I got into indie music and Two Dancers was a big part of that. They followed it up with Smother, an equally good but more subdued album, with some excellent B-sides, including the song "Smother" itself, probably my favourite Wild Beasts song (until "Palace" on this). And now they've taken another step forward with possibly their best album yet. Wild Beasts are making some beautiful alternative pop-rock music, and like St. Vincent, nobody sounds quite like them.

Favourite song: Palace