passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Microsoft Consoles and Updates

Oliath

3 minutes ago, Maf said:

They already are, right? The Series X is that. They’re launching with a half-step console

Yea and they'll probably do it again I'd bet. Like a version of xbox in 3 or 4 years which can actually hit 120hz on 4k on the regular.

That's the next big thing I'd bet. There's no point launching systems which support HDMI 2.1 (needed for high fps 4K) if it just ends up being a novelty for the generation or just used in CoD

I’m really tempted by the Series S. 1440p is fine for me and £250 is such a great price. I don’t want to buy physical games any more either.   I will probably get a Series X because I’m greedy like that but that sounds like a good deal. 

1 hour ago, Maf said:

I’m really tempted by the Series S. 1440p is fine for me and £250 is such a great price. I don’t want to buy physical games any more either.   I will probably get a Series X because I’m greedy like that but that sounds like a good deal. 

You won't get the exact same experience in lower resolution (1440p), that's just PR nonsense. It doesn't work like that. You can't run Flight Simulator in Ultra Settings on a significantly weaker rig by just hooking it onto a screen that isn't 4K. Plus it's extra work for every single game released on the Xbox ecosystem and we all know how extra work is being handled in the industry: optimise for the popular system and half-arse it for the other. 10 points to whoever can tell me which version will be half-arsed.

Yes, the FIFA casuals won't notice or even care about that. For them this might be the perfect next-gen machine. For everyone else I'd recommend staying away from Series S, I think you'd regret it sooner rather than later.

Flight Sim is a weird one cause right now the reasons that's crushing a lot of PCs is cause of the huge CPU overhead in streaming in loads of assets. These new SSD setups and how they communicate with the new machines apparently have ways to mitigate the CPU load or something? I guess that's the 'Velocity Architecture', probably an early form of whatever they are promising for PCs next year.

But yea the problem isn't resolution with that game. Well it is if you're up in the clouds and have clouds turned up to ultra, but generally speaking

More my rationale is 1440p looks just as good to me as 4K does anyway and do I really care about 2 extra teraflops? For a extra £250? I’m not sure because I don’t know what a teraflop does. But if when DF break these boxes down and what games look like on them and the difference isn’t £250’s worth of difference I’m not sure what the argument is for the bigger box

EDIT: I just checked Amazon to see if any pre-orders was up and they’re selling a regular One S for £295. The Series S is launching at a cheaper price then they are selling the older box.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Xbox-One-1TB-Console/dp/B01M5FMXHZ/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Xbox+series+s&qid=1599566919&sr=8-3

The only problem doing that @Maf is that do you really want to £70 every time you want a game on release? It might not be long before you’ve spent more on a cheaper machine with digital games than a full fat X with physical ones. That’s not even including being able to trade those games too. 

As I said, it's not just the resolution. I don't know what I should use as an example to illustrate what the difference between these systems might be. Maybe Resident Evil 4 on Gamecube vs. PS2?

If you'd be okay with PS2-RE4 for an entire generation while other people are playing Gamecube RE4 then that's alright of course. Personally I'd prefer the "real" next-gen stuff though.

Plus keep in mind this thing is digital-only and has a 500GB SSD. Gears 4 and Gears 5 together almost make up 200GB. So there'll be either a lot of deleting and downloading on that system or a bunch of external SSDs which will make the price difference grow even smaller.

RE4 is a great example actually cause PS2 straight up couldn't handle as many enemies on screen. Even if you're not a graphics guy the PS2 is just a worse game overall

But really I think MS just aren't chasing the high end type experiences that Sony are interested in, they're just building a ecosystem of games that can scale up and down or something. Like maybe they looked at some data on steam and decided that if they release an xbox comparable to the PC most people own that that could be a good angle to go with.

Just now, Maf said:

Oh I thought it was 4 for the S and 6 for the X

It’s all so outside of what I care about it’s hard to remember 

Xbox One X is 6TF*. Xbox Series X is 12TF.

* - Old chipset though so the XSS's 4TF are more powerful than the XOX 6TF if that makes sense.