passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Microsoft Consoles and Updates

Oliath

Pretty curious now to time how long RDR2 takes to load on my SSD. 

I guess a big difference is that a game like that is trying to load as much shit as it can into RAM to get it quickly when it needs it, but a custom built version of the game for Series X could load much less stuff in and stream everything on a as-needed basis.

This is speculation but one of the big things coming to PC with new RTX cards is a thing called RTX IO, which streamlines the CPU cost of doing incredibly fast loading of assets in. It doesn't come out until next year I think but I've heard it get compared to what Sony and MS are doing with their new tech. So I'm gonna conjecture that we aren't seen the equivalent MS tech being used here just yet with these old games and possibly never will depending on its implementation

You know where I reckon you'll the first noticeable difference, it's in navigating the dashboards. I don't know what Xbox looks like but I bet it runs just as shit as the PS4 UI does. That stuff is going to be like butter now like when I was saying to nag about the glory of loading 100s of thumbnails on windows. It's glorious I tell you

Also it takes me 10 hours to download RDRII, fucks sake.

edit my PC loads Control in less than ten seconds, faster than XSX ?

Damn you're right, I'll balance it out by saying that Windows 10 is the shittiest UI experience I've ever had.

Really I'm not a PC fanboy, I'm a linux fanboy. Just can't do the kind gaming I want on it yet, grrr

As an aside tho my drive is gen 3 and MS is gen 4 so I wonder where the difference comes in, will it be the direct storage stuff that we've yet to see

Erm... those load times are really disappointing. Have I missed something? I thought loading on these new hard drives was meant to be near instant? 

Is this just because they’re BC games and not ones developed for the Series X and that hard drive? Because if not, dreams of being able to instantly hop between worlds in games like the new Ratchet & Clank won’t be possible. 

It’s really put a bummer on these new consoles for me seeing that table. It was one of most exciting points as far as I was concerned.

Hearing those Xbox One games don’t work still is pretty worrying too when some are their own studio big hitters - Forza, Gears etc. Doesn’t bode well for smaller 3rd party games. 

Glad I didn’t get a pre order now. 

They just about track with current gen NVME drives, which is sort of under expectations a little bit? It should be faster than my own but maybe my Control example isn't fair cause the one I saw on gamespot loaded an entire office room or something.

But these are games that are trying to load as much stuff into RAM to access as is needed versus the apparently new way games will be designed at some point which is to load much less up front and stream in as needed. Or something.

Also there is the part where there will be new APIs implemented to reduce CPU overhead of all this fast loading but honestly I'm out of my depth on that stuff. I wouldn't ever expect loading to go away completely but who knows. In any case I can say going from PS4 to PC the biggest impacting factor for me isn't framerate or resolution but load times. It really does make a bigger difference than those numbers imply. HDDs are just fucking dogshit technology, it's going to be great

I didn’t know this but I just saw in that DF video that the Series X has a auto-HDR mode. It applies HDR automatically to GTA4. I doubt it’s as good as a game that is designed for HDR but immediately I was like

Bayonetta ?

23 minutes ago, Nag said:

This is a preview phase, they're enabling games at different times. After all the talk of complete backwards compatibility do you really think they'll launch with half of Game Pass unusable.

It’s less than 2 months until it’s out properly. I’d say it’s pretty worrying such big games aren’t working yet. Yea they’ve made a big deal about BC so that’s why id expect them to have been on top of it by now? & like I say I’m more worried about the smaller 3rd party stuff. It’s looking more like Sony’s “the vast majority will work” rather than them all working as they originally hinted at. 

27 minutes ago, Nag said:

Think the "instant" loading is more of a PS5 thing... that ones better.

Microsoft’s is proprietary so I was actually expecting it to be better if anything. Makes no sense, why not use the more open tech like Sony is if it’s better? 

Pretty deflated by all this. 

The fake HDR to old games thing does sound mega though. 

10 minutes ago, mfnick said:

Microsoft’s is proprietary so I was actually expecting it to be better if anything. Makes no sense, why not use the more open tech like Sony is if it’s better? 

Both are custom I believe but Microsoft used an off the shelf PC one that was available when they designed Series X, Sony’s is one with speeds not yet possible in the PC market (but will be shortly).

Source

Sony has created an impressive proprietary SSD solution that provides 825GB of storage and 5.5GB/s of performance. The Xbox Series X includes a custom 1TB NVME SSD, but its raw throughput is less than half at 2.4GB/s

So the PS5 SSD is more than double the speed of the Xbox one.

They might roll out back compat like they did on on the One and One X where every month they update and update until they’re done. 

Also the HDR is not enabled on all old games but “most”. What the guy said in the video is the SX runs an algorithm and it can tell if the result will be good or not. Does not seem like the player has control over when it is enabled or when it’s disabled. Guess we’ll know more over the coming weeks. 

Won’t we, Bayonetta ?

5 minutes ago, DisturbedSwan said:

the PS5 SSD is more than double the speed of the Xbox one.

Wow, I had no idea about this. That’s a pretty big difference! Looks like PS5 will be the place to get 3rd party games as well then.

If it wasn’t for Game Pass the Xbox would not be a good choice at all.