passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Wii, 2 years on

Sambob

I dont think I blamed Nintendo - if I gave that impression then I didnt mean to. I would love for a game to be released that would make me turn it on again, but the only thing I bother with it for at the moment is VC stuff.

I did buy Zak & Wiki, Battalion Wars, Fire Emblem, Nights, Dragon Quest swords plus a few other underachievers. Not boom blox tho as the idea just didnt appeal to me.

I went in Game the other day to find Final Fantasy Chocobo tales and there wasnt a copy in there - plenty of tat tho.

I still think that the Wii was flooded with crap too early and is now drowning in it.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to try and lend to the discussion here, Ive probably played on the office Gamecube more than Ive played on my Wii over the course of owning it...so I dont think the problem lies with Nintendo, or does it, I dont know.

Im pretty sure the reason that I play my 360 more than my Wii is because of the excellent games on the 360, which in turn is down to what the machine itself can do...again I dont know if thats Nintendo's fault per say, as clearly their strategy was to not even try to compete toe to toe with the heavier consoles.

I think if there was a new nintendo console released that had a really smart online system, gorgeous graphics (and im ashamed that graphics is a factor for me) and also the thing that the 360 and Ps3 has done well - big franchises, Halo's, Gears of War's, Bioshocks, Call of Duty, (all FPS's I know, someone chuck in another genre please) then id play that....as it is thats not want Nintendo want to produce...so maybe this one thing is that Nintendo could change, but hey they dont need to, there will be stock shortages this christmas period apparently, two whole years after launch.

~What annoys me when people are bashing the shovelware on the Wii is the blame is always laid on Nintendo and its "Seal of Quality" like that seal is supposed to say "this is a good game2". It's never been about that, hell the NES had alot of god awful games, the Seal of Quality was just there to signify that the game had been through some sort of testing process, which is pretty much the same as it is today.

As for my Wii, I got it around June time, haven't played on it as much as I'd like but thats purely down to the fact its hooked upto the TV in the lounge, which is usually being used by someone, its the same reason my other consoles don't get much of a look in, the 360 however is hooked upto the PC monitor so will get played whenever I feel like it.

After a few months collecting dust, my Wii is getting all the attention at the moment, mainly due to me picking up a copy Excite Truck on the cheap, but also because I've gone back to Paper Mario on the VC. It's a nice piece of kit really and if it weren't for the 360 library being so fricking amazing, it would be getting much more love. Poor Wii.

~What annoys me when people are bashing the shovelware on the Wii is the blame is always laid on Nintendo and its "Seal of Quality" like that seal is supposed to say "this is a good game2". It's never been about that, hell the NES had alot of god awful games, the Seal of Quality was just there to signify that the game had been through some sort of testing process, which is pretty much the same as it is today.

As for my Wii, I got it around June time, haven't played on it as much as I'd like but thats purely down to the fact its hooked upto the TV in the lounge, which is usually being used by someone, its the same reason my other consoles don't get much of a look in, the 360 however is hooked upto the PC monitor so will get played whenever I feel like it.

this is exactly the same as me, if the wii was upstairs i'd probably play it more, still love mine though, played some wii sports yesterday for the first time in a while, it's still fun

• 2 months later...

I moved the Wii into our bedroom last night, and hooked it up to the 17" 4:3 CRT via the official RGB cable I still have. It looks brilliant!I even fired up Galaxy and got another star, something I'll definitely be going back to. I think one of the main reasons I wasn't playing it that much was because it didn't look great on my LCD, and when there's a 360 and a PS3 next to it, I always went for one of those instead. Now it's in the bedroom I can see me playing it a bit more, I hope this will be the case anyway. Also, the wireless still works in the bedroom, which it should I know, so I can still access the Wii Shop and the internet channel.

I was starting to get into No More Heroes, then my batteries ran out in the Wii remote, and I've just not got round to replacing them. Is it tight of me that I'm not willing to pay for Duracel ones from Sainsbury's and am waiting till I'm in town again to go to Poundland? :lol:

Just to say there's a few games I want on the Wii in the next couple of months. House of the Dead, and Madworld are pretty much definates, there's the new Naruto fighter I want but cant justify with SF4 on the way, Deadly Creatures looks good, Tenchu has had some good reviews, and Fatal Frame. There's Onechanbara I wouldnt mind giving a go, the new Sonic game that so far is looking pretty good, Castlevania Judgement (again, do i need it with SF4), Mushroom Men, and the new PES.

I'm not suggesting they'll all be classics, but money and time willing I'd like to play all of them

• 2 months later...

Thought would bring this back to life, pity no-one can seem to bring the wii to life.

This year has been disappointing for me so far, the wii has had nothing to offer, i don't think ive even used the wii this year. The poor fella has been boxed up and put away, unused now for months.

Is there a future in the wii or is it all over, i can't see any titles in the next few months that interest me, hoping for something at christmas but doubt there will be anything. Just seems to be a lack of news or products for the wii or have i missed something?

Been the opposite for me. We've had Madworld, HotD Overkill and Little King's Story that have been well worth my time.

It's always gonna play second fiddle to my 360 but there's some good games out there. WiiWare's much the same in that there's a lot of dross in the shop but also some real gems, like World of Goo, Bit. Trip : Beat, the Art Style games, etc.

World of Goo, yep got that and must admit forgot about it.

Might be worth a go, yep my 360 has become my main console which is annoying as last gen it was my cube, the xbox played second fiddle this time round the 360 rules the TV, wii relegated just like Norwich! from the living room, to the bedroom now the box.

Same here - while its not my most played console (360 is - who'd have thought!) I still play on it now and then. I want Little King Story at some point and the Klonoa remake. This year I've played thru HOTD and MySims both of which are wildly different but I enjoyed them both. I also have Okami and Final Fantasy Chocobos Dungeon to play through on it as well.

I do wish Nintendo would release some decent first party stuff soon tho.

Reading back over this post I was pretty harsh on the Wii last year - I'm a bit kinder to it now :)

• 6 months later...

The Wii is now 3 and tbh not much seems to have changed from last year. I'm looking at 2010 and it seems like that's finally going to be the year the Wii gets going, but then I posted the same last year.

For what it's worth I still like the Wii, and I've played some good games on it this year. Excitebots, House of the Dead, Grand Slam Tennis, Sports Resort, that shooty game I got, Madworld had its moments and the Sonic game was actually pretty decent. There's games I didnt play that others will rave about (Little Kings Story, Boom Blox 2, Call of Duty), and I dare say theres a few none of us will have played.

But I will say I regret dissing Pickled (jokingly of course) for not playing his because it was in another room. Since I moved I've been stuck with a shit old square tv in my room, it's in an awkward position and just isnt the best way to play anything. It also had the PS2 (and Dreamcast for a bit) being played through it, so meant I had to fanny about just to play the Wii.

My Wii is now in the front room with my old telly, where its fine and good, there's plenty of room in there to play, it's good for when friends are round etc. Thing is I play games in my room, if I'm bored I've got the ps3, 360 and pc right in front of me. I've been playing Warioland this past couple of weeks, it's just not as convenient playing in the front room because I spend so little time in there.

Shame too because there are games I'd like on the wii, and a few I've got I'd like to still play

Incidentally I've listed 7 games that came out on the Wii this year that I've enjoyed. There's been others I've past on, and still a couple out tomorrow that I want (Murumasa and Mario), so lets say there's been a quality game a month. That's not that bad considering

Its been stronger for me this year than 2008. I bought barely any games for it that year but I've been playing more than the PS3 but I think thats because I'm in the habbit of buying 360 games, there are a few multiplatform games I've bought and realised afterwards that I should of gone PS3, Brutal Legend comes to mind.

It is safe to say that it does need more meaningful games still.