passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Phone Games & Apps

Hendo

Downloaded a game today called 'Rage Of Bahamut' for my iPhone. It's a free card game and it's ridiculously addictive, I haven't put it down since I downloaded it hours ago. You build and develop your own deck, go on quests and evolve / improve your cards whilst leveling up your own stats, then battle other users or join orders and go to war. I've never played a card game of this style before (It's what I imagine 'Magic: The gathering' is like) so I can't say how it stands up as a game of that genre but it's a good bit of addictive fun all the same (although the quests are pretty boring), especially considering it's completely free

I'm so late to the party here I'm missing the after party but I downloaded this recently and wanted to let you know what I thought:

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy

Good Points:

* Playing along to Nobuo Uematsu tracks is my own little idea of bliss

*The gameplay is fun & relaxing whilst still having a degree of difficulty, if you rack up the difficulty some tracks can get quite tricky.

*Instead of making every song pretty much the same, the play style is different for different kinds of songs and you can summon Aeons or Chocobo depending.

*The game actually goes beyond just playing along to tracks, introducing characters with stats and levels so you can make teams best suited to the song. There are also 'quests' you can go on, which is like medleys where you aim for various treasure depending on the difficulty you select, there's score pieces and collectable cards to get.

*Has a 'compose scores' section where you don't so much compose your own music as design your own interaction with it for the game, these can then be shared with others.

Bad points:

* It only comes with 2 songs!! If you want more, you have to buy them and they're not cheap, 66P per song, or £1.99 for a bundle of 3, you can buy the actual tracks for less.

* The tracks it uses aren't always the original Nobuo Uematsu versions, they're sometimes slightly altered versions, really I wanted to play with the originals.

Summary:

It's a great game, a trip down memory lane for some, a new way to appreciate Nobuos work for others and it has various features that go beyond what you'd expect. That said coming with only 2 songs is ridiculous, and the cost of downloading more is pretty outrageous and tat ruins what could otherwise have been a good game, I already own the complete soundtracks for FF VII VIII and X, I don't want to pay 66p for each song again just to play along to a slightly altered version of them.

I can only give it a 6.5 - 7/ 10 because of the massive rip off over songs.

^ yeah it's a really good game, if you have a 3ds it's maybe better value on that? i really enjoyed the 3ds version anyway, never played an FF game properly either.

i've been playing more demons score, it cost £13 total, still it's really good and very much like ouendan in gameplay terms, the music is decent - not as good as ouendan mind, and the setting/story/characters is a bit pants but is played for laughs so not as bad as it looks at first.

Yeh I imagine it's a lot better value on the 3DS, though I can't find out how many songs it comes with to be sure. The DS version has other perks aswell, such as the event sequences that just aren't there on the ios version. Square seem to have a habit of thinking the ios market is just a collection of mugs who will pay whatever is asked, the release of FFI FFIII etc... came with a nice £20 price tag, though I saw today that FFIV is down to just a tenner, and dimensions is free!

I've been thinking about demons score because it sounds great, I'm just not sure about spending £13 on a phone game (I'm coming across really cheap here aren't I Lol)

After listening to Giant Bomb, I downloaded the You Don’t Know Jack game. It's free, costs you if you want to play a few times per day but it's fun enough. There are some game-breaking perks for you to buy but that only counts if you care about the other 5 people you're playing against, as they're things like 10% score boost. If you don't care about your place in the list of the 6 playing, it's fine.

The card game called San Juan is also on the App Store now. It's a card version of Peuto Rico and both are available as apps. Both are £1.99 a piece, I know Peuto Rico was about £9 as I'd thought about getting it a few times.

I'd highly recommend both, but San Juan works a little better on the iPad.

Puzzle & Dragons

Just download this off of the Google Play store. It's was developed by GungHo Online and it's pretty sweet. It's a Dungeon Crawl RPG/Puzzle game mixed with Pokemon monster-collecting. This will be a time sink, while on BART and between classes.

Anyone played The Room on IOS yet?

It's a puzzle box game wherein you're presented with a series of boxes you have to open via various puzzles on each of it's sides. It has an almost Lovecraftian feel to it once you get a further in and the small nuggets of story (as well as the background audio) you uncover along the way remind me a lot of Amnesia.

The first chapter (out of four) is free, £1.49 to play the rest.

Puzzle & Dragons

Just download this off of the Google Play store. It's was developed by GungHo Online and it's pretty sweet. It's a Dungeon Crawl RPG/Puzzle game mixed with Pokemon monster-collecting. This will be a time sink, while on BART and between classes.

That looks pretty good actually, might pick that up. Ive probably got other things I should be playing, but that looks quite fun.

Its either US or Japan only, which is a bit stupid. Also it looks like one of those games that has that really annoying stamina thing, always seems totally pointless to me.

yeah tvcatchup has been around for a while. It's actually the only way I get to watch tv nowadays, I haven't had a signal for a couple of years now (generally I use the site on pc dragged on to my tv)

I got the fairly heavily advertised Contre Jour the other day and it's alright. It's basically Cut the Rope on a slightly bigger scale. There's a round thing that you need to get to a goal, to to that there's ropes, stretchy ropes, catapults and extendible bars to help you. There's 3 orbs to collect each level which help with score, and there's occasionally hazards that will kill your little furry eyeball thing.

It's mostly very easy unless you are trying to get all 3 orbs on every level, but when it's hard it seems to be an odd difficulty spike that reverts back to really easy on the next level. It's fairly decent, I don't think it's ever going to capture the zeitgeist the way Angry Birds did, if only because it feels like a game to do that, but it's at a reduced price at the minute on android and is probably worth that

I also picked up Anomaly Korea and Metal Slug. The latter I had briefly successfully talked myself out of buying because the controls aren't going to be up to it, and from the brief play I've had they aren't really up to it. They're passable, but years spent playing Metal Slug means that some of the nuances are ingrained, and the touch pad doesn't allow for things like shifting backwards while firing upwards

Just bought Anomaly Korea, thanks for the heads up! I shouldn't as I haven't finished the last one, but hey, what you gonna do.

After hearing a bit about it on Giant Bomb, I bought Cook, Serve, Delicious! for the iPad, only briefly played it so far though.

I've played through Metal Slug on Android, I love Metal Slug, it might actually be my favourite game of all time, so it's great to have it on my phone. Don't buy it

Touch screen controls don't work for it, I thought they might be ok because they aren't too bad for King of Fighters, but Metal Slug needs you to be too precise. Added to that enemies come from either side of the screen which is where your thumbs are. I've died quite a lot from incoming fire I just couldn't see, it might be better on a tablet, but the increased size of a tablet might make it too uncomfortable to use.

They've added a very easy mode which doesn't affect standard enemies all that much, but it makes bosses very easy to kill. Nicely, and this might be the best feature in the whole game, they've added a mission mode. I don't think there's save states in this version of Metal Slug (the way you could force it on the Virtual Console for example), so being able to just blast through a mission and it count towards your progress is good

Epic War works ok on mine, you might have to reboot your Touch or something.

One for Sambob, GeoSociety. Costs £1.49 and is supposedly the closest you can get to Pokémon on the iOS.

And Demon Hunter, a Castlevania rip-off that's meant to be very good. Available in free ad-supported version or for 69p.

Didnt even see this personal recommendation, will try both of those.