passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Whats your first Video Game memory?

illdog

A done thread but we have new members so lets share.

It all began when i was three years old. 1980 (maybe 81), sat on my grandads knee, playing Pac Man and Space Invaders for the first time, followed by Spider Fighter, Amidar, Keystone Kapers, Defender, Brakeout, Warlord, River Raid, Dragonfire, Boxing, Mrs Pac Man, Donkey Kong, some game about three little pigs where you had to build your house as fast as the wolf could blow it down and Empire Strikes Back where you just had to blow up AT-AT's by hitting a flashing dot somewhere on its body.

My grandad would always get cross cos i only played a game for five mins before i wanted to play the next one (little did he know i was whoring for achievements) but to be honest when i was three or four i didnt have the patience to play a game till it was done, plus most old games are rock so you could only get so far anyway.

*passes pipe*

My grandad would always get cross cos i only played a game for five mins before i wanted to play the next one (little did he know i was whoring for achievements) but to be honest when i was three or four i didnt have the patience to play a game till it was done, plus most old games are rock so you could only get so far anyway.

Ha, I was watching my mates nephew while he was playing a game and his lack of focus was driving me nuts! Although that's exactly how I am now so it was probably projection or something.

I think my first gaming memory was being round a neighbours house (they were about 22 or something) when I was 3 maybe 4 and them letting me play on their table top Space Invaders game. My memory is of it being quite compact, but I bet it was actually the size of a car. Talking of cars, it wasn't really a video game, but I had a miniture front end of a car with a screen on it. Thing is, like the old arcade racers the steering wheel moved the background and the car was just a sticker on the screen, unfortunatly you couldn't crash or anything so it was a bit pointless. It did however have working (I think) froglights!

but we have new members so lets share.

Who?? :blink:

Mine would be sitting in the middle of the living room with some Space Invaders game, it was on this thing that looked like an arcade cabinet, not a console. The year would of been 1990/91, I'd be 7(ish). Not long after that I got an actual console, the old Speccy. Playing such joys as Bombjack, Bubble Bobble and some Thunderbirds game, The other 25 games or so I had never worked so it was only them really. All played on a black & white TV too, proper old school.

My first memory is of some game on the zx spectrum +3, cant remember the name of it but it was a side scoller and you went round as a postman breaking into postboxes. I dont really know much more about it cos i never got very far! Remember playing it loads though.

Another bastard hard game was Knightmare - again on the speccy - based on the citv gameshow thing. Anyway, it was solid and i could never get past the second room.

Another bastard hard game was Knightmare - again on the speccy - based on the citv gameshow thing. Anyway, it was solid and i could never get past the second room.

Thank fuck it wasn't just me! I remember it having a guy sat there, but I could never work out what to give him

PTG, I think that might have been the same Space Invaders thing as me (not exactly the same obviously)

PTG, I think that might have been the same Space Invaders thing as me (not exactly the same obviously)

No, mine wasn't a table top one, it was meant to look like a cabinet, but really small, about the size of..... I dunno, two bags of sugar back to back. A strange size. To big to be handheld yet to small to be something worthy of a games machine. :mellow:

Mine was playin the Atari 2600, in a dining room where the light shone through orange curtains

think i was playing combat

the memories...

pretty much snap! appart from the light shining through orange curtains. my grandad had a bright orange binatone though - that played pong, but not sure if that was before or after the 2600. more consoles should be made of wood.

Hmmm, Im not sure which one mine is - my youth was a very long time ago. (not that long ago tho so no wisecracks)

I think it must be pong as I can remember us having an Atari, we had Asteroids and Battleships as well. Im sure we still have it kicking around in the loft at my parents as well

EDIT : I dont think I mean Battleships, but something where you had to shoot aeroplanes from ships. I think. Or that may have been a game I spent ages programming in from a magazine on my Speccy.

mine you be seeing my cousin playing manic miner ( i think) on the commodore ( i think) that would have been about 86 ( i think) My first gaming memory was playing paperboy and pac-man land on the zx spectrum 128k (with floppy drive, no shitty tapes for me) I also had rainbow islands as well. It came with the light gun as well, and missile command, bullseye, operation wolf and some other games as well. Awesome

no shitty tapes for me

Damn you, you were one of those posh bastards with your fancy disk drives, weren't you?

Me and my kind hated you lot, with your weird short loading times and your hippy ways. :angry:

Yeah it was sad days when you had to plan at least 30 minutes in advance what you wanted to play, and then hope it loaded. And this was even before the dark days. Before the multi-loaders.

Sometimes I have nightmares with a voice intoning, "please take out tape, rewind side 2 and press 'start'......mwa ha ha!"

I think my very earliest memory is some weird pong clone. I think my first post on the old GTM forum was to describe the machine and ask if anyone knew what it was. No-one did (MikeHaggar wasn't around then ;)) but someone said it was most likely a cheap knock-off as there were loads of those machines doing the rounds.

I noticed a few of you mentioned Knightmare, my claim to fame, i was actually on Knightmare all those years ago!!

Anyway back to gaming my first memory is playing buggyboy with a mate on his c64.

But my one memory that keeps springing back is when we have bad weather, i remember the snow on the ground outside, dad taking the day off work and me, my brother and dad sat round the snes playing pilot wings, just nipping outside now and then to let the dog out only to watch him bring loads of snow back in with him!!

A true family gaming moment, don't have many of them these days

I know i haven't got a copy but im sure my mum taped it (blimey taped it must be getting old!!) will ask when i see her next week, had a nosy on youtube couldnt see anything relevant but will keep looking for you!!

but we have new members so lets share.

Who?? :blink:

Mine would be sitting in the middle of the living room with some Space Invaders game, it was on this thing that looked like an arcade cabinet, not a console. The year would of been 1990/91, I'd be 7(ish). Not long after that I got an actual console, the old Speccy. Playing such joys as Bombjack, Bubble Bobble and some Thunderbirds game, The other 25 games or so I had never worked so it was only them really. All played on a black & white TV too, proper old school.

Grandstand-FirefoxF7.jpg

is this the one you mean?

i used to have this, twas awesome, think this probably predated my 128k +2