passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Halo 3

Swallow

I'll probably get CoD4 sometime soon, but I figured it was about time I went through this properly first, so I've started from scratch on Normal.

My only gripe with it is the lack of auto-save - I'm not asking for an auto-save after every check point, but at the beginning of each chapter would be a start!

I went through 3 chapters, forgot to save and then when I came back I realised I had to start from the beginning. :blush:

Its an absolute bugger that way, the only thing you can do is to make sure you are saving it often as you can, which isnt how games should work, another reason why this doesnt deserve the 10's.

COD4 looks like it will be awesome though, great reviews and it actually looks great too.

If its problems are thats its awesome then yes, its riddled.

Halo 3 certainly does divide the community, but I dont tend to hate on games (only Timesplitters 2 - I despise you) so I guess im just easliy pleased. I just find it hard to understand that a game that I enjoyed so much and that offers so much is disliked by so many. Its like its fashionable to hate Halo. Halo is sooooo last season darling.

halo in of itself isnt bad enough to hate, its a solid, well made game with enouh fun and good bits to be called good. it just falls way short of the hype and is bummed by everyone in the world ever and thats whats annoying. i hate that halo is an over-celebrated generic action game.

Im not the biggest Halo fan in the world, but i can appreciate what it has to offer (although Swallow is wrong - CoD4 pwn's Halo3 for online fun)

Im the opposite to illdog, i hate people who claim its the greatest game ever made, because it simply isnt.

It brings nothing new to the FPS table except for the regenerating health bar, and everything else is the same as most other FPS's out there.

Thats not to say it isnt good though, believe me i own and like it - im just saying it does get more praise than it deserves.

apparently halo gave us the limited weapon carying thing too?

anyway i have to stick up for it because i love it :blush: yeah cod4 is good and they are quite different online so it's hard to compare but i think halo is brilliant how every encounter with the enemy is like a battle of wits and if you're outgunned but positioned well you can usually retreat to fight another day. in stuff like cod4 you just shoot someone and they usually die pretty much instantly, unless they shoot you first, then you die, (not even mentioning the stupid airstrikes/helecopters and pants/non existant matchmaking) seems pretty boring to me compared to the battles you get in halo :) i can see why people might like cod4 more though as it's a different style of play.

i prefer the more realistic amount of damage you can take in cod4, tbh. i find those lengthy halo gun battles youre loving tedious, if i shoot someone a couple of times square in the chest when they pop round a corner after doing a great job of stalking them through a ruined building i expect to be rewarded with their death. its all opinion obviously. i remember the goldeneye days, its was Licence to Kill or bust, which was one-shot-kills. made for much more exciting games.

Well I came into it with no love for the series, but I think Halo 3 is fantastic. *shrugs*

Lack of auto-save and the rubbish 8th level make it less than perfect, but it's pretty close.

Also, it's unlike most other FPS's (including CoD4) because it uses a more sandbox gameplay where people aren't in the exact same position every time. Surely that's enough to make it stand out?

I dunno, I just think it's popular to rag on it just to combat all the positivity, which seems a pretty depressing thing to me.

Hendo wrote:

I dunno, I just think it's popular to rag on it just to combat all the positivity, which seems a pretty depressing thing to me.

i imagine there is an element of that in the 'unconvinced' camp, especially when people say its outright shit and mean it (it clearly isnt), but ive never had a conversation with one of those people. Most people have valid resons for not thinking halo 3 is a 90%+ game

was level 8 the flood level pickled? going through those all-exactly-the-same drab corridors shooting hundreds and hundreds of little sprouts :sick:

Im with Shin and TGK on the whole Halo thing. The first was a decent game, and I've had fun playing them. But the first wasn't the best console fps like it was claimed to be, nor the best fps multi, and it didnt deserve the 10 it got in Edge. So now what you get is people railling against its undeserved status, then people railing against the people who were railing against the undeserved status... and so on, until some kid falls through the railings at the Trafford Centre and i make a tasteless joke.

It's all part of lifes rich tapestry

pickled wrote:

yeah man, going through the graveminds sphincters and trying not to get utterly gang-probed by all the flood

worst level ever

lol i was talking about halo 1, good to know theyve topped themselves with a new worst level ever using exactly the same design in the third instalment :D

when i read your joke ben, i thought 'splat'. does that make me a bad person

Ben wrote:

spatular wrote:
even including people who like the game i think most probably agree that level 8 is pants. and i quite liked the flood level from the first game :unsure:

That was the one we played co-op on wasn't it? I quite liked that, it was hectic

i can't remember tbh but yeah that's why i like it too, cause its prety manic.