passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Halo 3

Swallow

No-one worried about finishing the fight?

Not long to go now, but them daft limited editions can gtf, games are expensive enough as they are.

I'll be mainly in it for the single-player mode, hoping it's a cracker.

• 1 month later...

I'd be tempted to get it for the co-op mode (like you, I'm not fond of deathmatches) but I'm not that bothered about this - I kinda liked the other two, but didn't really see what the fuss was all about.

I'm gonna do the same with Gears and only play co-op, I reckon.

• 3 weeks later...

Just read gamesTM's massive section on this, boy do they like this game. Ive never got into them so far but for the co-op aspect of it I might get this, and id genuinely like to let myself get impressed by this and buy into the hype. The screens look good and the amount of vehicles and just things going on onscreen looks impressive.

Like I said ive never properly played one of these games before so im next excited about it in this way, and ive not got many expectations so hopefully i can allow myself to become impressed by what is arguably the box's most popular series.

I'm not very excited about Halo 3. The previous 2 games, while good, were only transposing on consoles what has been available for years on PCs before, nothing special. A Sci-Fi FPS in which you fight against an alien horde. Oh. The originality is killing me.

Sarcasm aside, the game seems pretty well done, but aside from the 4 player coop, I don't see anything very special to it...

I would buy Bioshock over this any day. And Gears of War too (although this one is also highly unoriginal, but there's some sort of visceral thrill to it... )

I suppose the same reasoning could be applied to Bioshock, which is at a basic level Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2(or 3?) without lightsabers, but is still a really great game.

Although I agree that Halo 3, and infact the whole Halo series, is nothing new in terms of theme, setting, or gameplay its still a good game. If another Gran turismo comes out then it will still be worth a punt, or another addition to the resident evil series, whilst offering nothing new will still be worth a go. Like I said ive not really got into it before so hopefully i will like this new instalment as its seems like, although its not doing anything new, its doing something old quite well.

I've never been a big fan of Halo really, not understood the hype especially as recently a certain 360 magazine stated that no FPS game infulenced the genre like Halo 1 did. That statement is bollocks frankly. Goldeneye and Half-Life have more to say about that matter i believe.

Incidentially though i probably will end up getting a copy as it will in all probability be quite good. Should tide me over untill Half-Life 2 Episode 2 is released :)

sambob wrote:

Although I agree that Halo 3, and infact the whole Halo series, is nothing new in terms of theme, setting, or gameplay its still a good game. If another Gran turismo comes out then it will still be worth a punt, or another addition to the resident evil series, whilst offering nothing new will still be worth a go. Like I said ive not really got into it before so hopefully i will like this new instalment as its seems like, although its not doing anything new, its doing something old quite well.

Rarely do you make such good sense. ;)

A good game is a good game regardless of what came before or what machine it's on.

Chances are, I'll be getting it for the co-op. Speaking of which, get your arse on Crackdown on the weekend - I need to kill me some bosses.

• 2 weeks later...
First Halo 3 Review Hits the Web

Press Start Online seems to have broken the news embargo on full reviews of the game by a little bit (That embargo ends at 12:01 pm, PST, today) - but hey, everyone makes mistakes. I don't think you can write a full review WITHOUT some minor spoilers, so ANY full review we link to should be viewed with care (and there'll be a lot today, trust me)... but this one does a pretty good job of giving you gameplay impressions without spoiling the story. If you've read this news post and can live with the caveats, go read the review.

UK based site Press Start Online have the first review: http://www.pressstartonline.co.uk/view/287

on mine it was xbox live that crashed so i reset the console assuming like most modern games that when you start each new level you get an auto save, what FUCKING "game of the decade" (the sun) doesn't have fucking auto save, arrrrrrrrgh i'm in a foul mood, i've lost all interest in playing now...