passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Paper Mario - the Thousand Year Door

stu

This, like Pikmin 2, has been a GC game I've wanted to play for years, and at last now have the chance to.

And hell, what a game it is.

Basically an RPG much like the GBA/DS (along with the N64 and SNES) Mario RPG's, but behind that lays one of the best, most original, involving and downright enjoyable games I've played.

I love the graphics, the whole paper aspect, the moment you get cursed with the paper plane ability, the moment you learn to press R to become flat, the way you go into the background of the level when travelling through a pipe, it all smacks of cleverness so well implemented that you just can't get rid of a smile.

Then there's the script, I'm still not that far into it but already 3 or 4 characters have become my favourites, including the video game addict in Petalburg, who tells me the Fire Emblem games are awesome.... Maybe Centy got a hand in the script writing ;)

The battle system, usually my pet hate with most RPG's is so involving and original that it never becomes a chore. The action commands are brilliantly executed and never feel gimmicky, which is often a risk with that kind of thing.

There's depth here too, with the huge potential of customisation using different partners and the excellent badge system, which reminds me of the job system in FFVI (or 3 for us Westerners, before Square decided to revert back to the original numbering), only much much better. It enables you to basically customize your party to be totally unique, and as I get further into the game I can't wait to really make Mario my own!

There are also some fantastically clever little bits of things that can't grouped into the above, like the fact the first boss is scared of Crickets, and there just happens to be a badge that turns Marios hammer sound effect into that of a Cricket...

I've clocked up about 7 hours thus far, and I haven't once stopped smiling, even when I'm struggling in a battle or strolling through areas I've already been too, every single moment has been pure joy.

This is simply a stunning RPG, a stunning Mario, a stunning GC and above all, and probably most simply, a stunning game.

10/10

Aye, it is a truly awesome game and no mistake.

I loved it so much I longed for the technology to be there that I could upload my game info to a version on the GBA and then I could carry on playing when I had to drag my ass out of the house and get on a train or bus.

I think this may also be the first RPG that I played properly.

:ohmy:

For those who have played several games in the series, would you say that this is the best version? Im looking to get some kind of play on a paper mario game before the hype about the Wii version starts big time. The N64 version might be coming around so would anyone recommend that I wait for that or go and find this game(GC Version)?

Aye, same here, not played the N64 version, though Illdog said in the podcast that they are quite similar....

But seriously Sam, you MUST play the GC game, it's amazing :D

I've just ordered a sealed US version and a Freeloader from eBay. The wait for Super Paper Mario is killing me, so I'm going to play though this while I wait. Probably the best way to do it anyway, I should have ordered it ages ago. :)

I just remembered that I ordered this too, along with a freeloader, thanks to Ed and no thanks to Centy. Like a Yeti, he saw the deal glistening in the snow and snatched it back to his lair.

Thanks to the freeloader adapted to work on the Wii it means all the classics i missed from last generation are now massively accesible and I can buy reasonably priced games.

sambob wrote:

thanks to Ed and no thanks to Centy. Like a Yeti, he saw the deal glistening in the snow and snatched it back to his lair.

M'wuah ha ha ha ha the yeti strikes again though i did feel sorry for Ed about Stafi i have no sympathy for you incedentially did you make sure to send it to the house you live in this time sam ;)

Didnt really order this for myself but im sure i'll have a go at somepoint so will chime in when ive had a bash.

I wish I had a witty comeback, but you really would have thought id have learned after the first time. Anyway impression on this when it comes through, luckily I am at least in communication with this incorrect address.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. Just wow! I started this today, and about 3 hours later, I've finished the first chapter. Such an amazing game. The art style is fantastic, I absolutely love it. Gameplay is fun and the RPG mechanic works well, ala Superstar Saga and Partners in Time. So far there's been some fun little puzzles, which will no doubt become more challenging later on. Everything about it is great, though. It just works so well, gathering new abilities as you go.

It's pure Nintendo genius.

Finally did the deed and fired it back up - my game save said 60:50 - 60 hours! It can't be 60 minutes as I spent many an hour on it. 60 hours gameplay is unheard of for me at the moment.

I did have to consult GameFAQS to get the ball rolling, and I'm still using it as I've forgotten so much. Spring jumps, the special hammer move, all my friends' moves, all my friends full stop! I also forgot about the special moves during fights, my favourite of which was always the earthquake.

My save left me right by a re-enactment of an early boss and after about 10 attempts, my skills finally settled back in and I defeated it and now I'm further on.

God, I'd forgotten how much I love this game.

I wasn't quite as close to the end as I thought, but I am now!

I died at the last boss with this much *puts finger and thumb together* of boss energy left. So close.

I'll crack on and finish it later.

I don't want to spoil the story, but there is a twist at the end that you may not have seen coming, and I only wish I'd played it all in one go.

At the end you see all the characters and locations from your journey and I'd totally forgotten about the penguin who dresses up as Sherlock Holmes, those little slug-type creatures and their tree, the bombs with dinky Russian hats, the wrestling/boxing arena, the fact that some people don't refer to you as Mario.....

All of it I'd forgotten.

I'd recommend Paper Mario so much that even if you can't find it less than 40 quid, it's worth it.

Played through the first chapter and its every bit as good as people are saying it is. Its also really making me appreciate partners in time/ superstar saga even more becuase its a similar ilk but on the handhelds.

Another sequel that im now looking forward to on the Wii.

I've now gone back to the main areas in an attempt to buy some more stuff and level grind so I can beat the final boss.

Still can't beat it.

A word to the wise - make sure your maximum life is at least 50 HP after you go through the Thousand Year Door.

Took me fucking ages to level grind seeing as I was only getting one star per battle!