passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Desert Island Discs

Hendo

I had this exact same idea to bring up about a month ago, but completely forgot about it.

Anyway, 1up have done a feature on it where they ask developers, journalists, etc to give their one desert island game (plus one game they wanted to include).

Clicky

Chin will be happy at one game series that gets mentioned a lot. :)

The rules are....

* One game only, plus one game you wanted to choose but didn't.

* You can have any system but only one (obviously).

* The island has no net access, and you can disregard multiplayer games as they'll be only you on the island.

I'd like to put the results of this on a podcast (maybe a bit too late for the next one, but certainly one in the future), so get your thinking caps on and give us some decent thoughts.

I'll have a think of mine after I've watched some more Life on Mars.

:)

I reckon mine would be Final Fantasy 7, the first ggame that inspired my love of 3d turn based rpgs, i have owned this game about 3 times so far and played it a lot. Any rpg I buy and play I compare to it and none have ever (yet) given me the same warm fuzzy feeling

at the moment puzzle quest would be my other choice but only because THAT GAME HAS BLINDED ME TO ANYTHING ELSE IN THE WORLD AAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!

I would pick Oblivion Custom because i could literally play that game forever and would if i had nothing else.

I would have chose Halflife 2 but without the internet to get new mods or play other people it would be pointless.

I guessed i couldnt say my DS lite and the R4 :laugh:

Yep yep yep, without a shadow of a doubt, I'd go with Civ IV. Because it's basically sex in videogame form. And anyone who doesn't own it, buy it now, and we can rant on about it to try and stem the overwhelming Puzlle Quest/Pokeman love.

Being on a Desert Island, I doubt I'd have a car to drive. Loving cars and gaming pretty much equally, I'm going to have to go for Gran Turismo 4 on the PS2. Tons of races and classes to compete in, a gotta collect 'em all style aspect to the cars which would take an age, trying to get the best garage, mastering each cars handling and performance attributes, endless tuning possibilities, excellent array of tracks. It's just an all-round superb racing game, which I'll never tire of (until GT5 on PS3, at least).

Runner up would probably be....umm... I'm not sure yet. I'll get back to you.

My one game would be Football Manager. In the same way that Oblivion etc have near infinate depth so does FM, you have to constantly build your squad, and take your time with each game. You even get a strange sense of pride when one of the kids you brought through ends up playing for their nation, or have a value around £30 million. The added bonus is that when you lose to a last minute goal you might just get angry enough to go and build a hut or something.

Runner up I'll give to King of Fighters 2002. I've lost my interest in 2D fighters a little this past year, but KOF (on the Dreamcast with a saturn pad) has a stack of characters, characters that can take an age to master, and it's tough as hell on the higher difficulties

I'd one up Chinzon and say Civ 5, because it's not been made yet and would undoubtedly be better. And if it could be on the format of my choice, I'd say DS, only the DS would be made of lazers and women.

My runner up game would be 3D Sex Villa. I've not played it, but it sounds amazing. It's in 3D!

Id hate to take my favourite game because i know eventually id become either bored or obsessed with the game so much so that id take it apart and wear it on my head to be one with it....

I really liked the KOTOR series but even with the difference in story for male or female, light or dark side and tons of side quests I dont think it could last on an island, plus ive played it til death so that would be my one that id considered and didnt take.

The one id take would be something like Fable 2 (hoping it delivers) because that seems to be quite playable and also ive not played a 360 yet so that would be another bonus, plus I could maybe use the shell of that gigantic machine to make a raft or something, and the fan as the propeller.

I thought about this a little too much, so in the end I just went with my first instincts....

Goldeneye (N64)

I can honestly say I spent more time on the single player on this than multi, and it's the beauty of all the unlockables (levels, difficulty modes, characters) that make the game have more life than most.

Plus, I've enjoyed this more than any other 1st person.

Plus, I could spend all my time perfecting every level from the easiest setting and gettig those all important speed runs for all the cheats.

Love it.

For my game that nearly made it, I came close to choosing the game-that-I-dare-not-say, but instead I went with.....

Command & Conquer : Retaliation (Playstation)

Simply because I lost so many hours to just playing one map over and over again, perfecting my build up of base and army.

I barely touched the proper single player modes, and I could waste all my time playing this game for ever, possibly.

I love games like this, and funnily enough I have a copy of Civ III (plus expansion) that I've never even tried, so I better have a bash.

SlyEnemy 2.0 wrote:

I'd one up Chinzon and say Civ 5, because it's not been made yet and would undoubtedly be better.

Ah, but Civ 3 wasn't better than Civ 2 (in some peoples' opinions).

Ooh, I forgot to put a runner up, which would be, after careful consideration, Frontier: Elite 2. I played it on the Amiga, but I guess the PC version probably had better graphics n'shit.

It's another one of these games that has pretty much a limitless lifespan, there's not really an 'end' to it as such, and it has a massive in-game universe (literally!) to explore, or shoot stuff in, whatever. If I were to play it nowadays, I'd have to be a pirate, for religious reasons.

My poor island would be an island of rage because the game im taking is not only one of my all time favorite games but also the one I find the most annoying. Id have to take my trusty PS2 and Pro Evo 6. Like Ben said about Footy Manager, Pro Evo is almost endless what with all its teams, leagues and managerial options. Only problem is its annoying as fuck!

Runner up would have been a SNES and....and....um...and..uh...Secret of Mana I think. Gorgeous adventure, four charachters to level up with spells and weapons and great music. It just wouldnt last as long as Pro Evo.