passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Mario Kart: Double Dash

illdog

Funny game this one. I played it quite alot to be fair, but it took the tightness of the DS version and the recent replay of the 64 version to show Double Dash up as the weak link in the series that it is.

Its not that its a bad game, its just not a great addition to one of my all time favorite game series. Since the SNES version the tracks have been too long, but couple this with the lack of speed and after i spanked the games ass it never really went back in the Cube.

The two drivers thing didnt really do a great deal for me either, kudos for trying something new but if it aint broke...

This is the only iteration of Mario Kart that I don't own. I think this is partly because I entered the 'Cube era quite late, and missed pretty much every essential title, but also because the two-per-kart thing seemed really... stupid.

Alas, I have never even played the game. Worth picking up if I see it for under a tenner?

I think its well worth picking up, and to a certain extent i disagree with the dawg. I see what he means, the DS version is probably the definitive Mario Kart experience in my opinion, but i prefered Double Dash! over MK64...

Think i hated the cheating AI far too much in that game

I'm pretty much with the dawg on this one.

Having still not played the original I can't say which is the best in the series, but I'm confident this is the worst.

Not that it's terrible - if it didn't have the previous games to live up to it would be seen as a good game, but it's not a patch on Mario Kart 64 or indeed teh big bad daddy that is the DS version.

And yeah, nice try Nintendo with the double kart thing, but you forgot about working on decent tracks. Bar the Yoshi one.

I have to agree this is the worst game but its still a good deal of fun and the improved visuals were nice but thats all it was alot of flash and sparkle but no real magic. Ive owned all of the games at some point and have more fond memories of the N64 version and the Wifi sessions on DS even alot of wasted college days playing the GBA game on link up.

When we played DD in multi it was always a race to see who got the 2 turtles and hence the 6 shell combo first.

I felt the single player mode was quite enjoyable, it was a distraction for a couple of weeks, but the multiplayer definitely lacks the Nintendo Fun Factor TM of previous incarnations. Some friends and I were playing this the other night, and it really felt like a second-rate imitation of what MK should and could be.

• 9 months later...

Someone brought their cube in to work the other day and its hooked up to a massive meetings monitor and weve been playing this at lunchtime, i forgot how badly I need a mario kart game in my life, I seriously cant wait for the Wii version. Its also made me appreciate the two players on one Kart thing, its actually quite funny.

I've been meaning to bring this up - after a few years away, I played it again over Christmas.

I still don't like the two-men-in-a-kart thing, and without the hop-and-slide it doesn't feel right.

Because it looks fairly similar this makes me worry about the Wii version.

i never liked the hop then slide, i rather have if i wna hop i hop, if i wna slide i slide, seems weird everytime i wna slide i have to hop. Plus i liked the 2 man thing, i played so many people thinkin its jus another lil feature but usin it the right way helps a bloody lot