passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gaming Podcasts

Phooey

Listened to Joypod and Just Add Idiots back to back. Enjoyed both of them.

Thanks Sly. Was worried about them both to be honest. Joypod was really game heavy this week and was worried that my bitching about Sony made me sound like a twat. Was also worried that I wasn't funny on Just Add Idiots and I brought the mood of the show down!

• 2 weeks later...

ZGMWih.png

No other gaming podcast managed to balance humor and aimless banter with serious discussion about the state of the industry and the state of the games press as well as GFW Radio did. Ostensibly a show about computer games, GFW Radio never pigeonholed itself in that niche, instead becoming a program that flowed between topics and moods, a show at the absolute top of its game whether mocking the internet’s peculiar dwellers or gravely exposing the sickly nature of gaming “journalism.” Very few—perhaps none—have been as eminent and brilliant as GFW Radio.

Storytelling defines this summary of GFW Radio’s second year. Host Jeff Green has a Lord of the Rings-themed dream; Shawn Elliott tells gaming arcade horror stories; Robert Ashley gets duped by con artists in Shanghai. Jeff Gerstmann is fired from GameSpot for refusing to buckle to pressure placed on him by advertisers, and the cast mark his ouster by wondering how their profession collapsed into such a state of disorder. Elsewhere, nerds question whether Superman produces bodily waste, and pontificate upon their desire to wed fictional rodents. A woman turns to prostitution in order to gain standing in World of Warcraft, and a hoi polloi of recluses seek out Shigeru Miyamoto on their quest to find true love. Hello and welcome to the GFW Radio podcast.

http://www.thisyearcollection.org/2012/03/27-gfw-radio-2007.html

• 2 weeks later...

Jeez. I know they regularly don't know what they're talking about on that podcast but...

Andrea Rene raging about ME3 micro transactions on this week's Weekend Confirmed is one of one of the most maddeningly uninformed things i've heard in ages.

Her position seemed to be that purchases were essential if you want to get on. It turned out that she pretty much hadn't even tried to earn credits in game.

Then it became clear she hadn't even read what she was paying for, and had no idea how any of them worked before shelling out.

:facepalm:

It's infuriating when you're listening to someone go on about something that they either don't fully understand or haven't bothered to research.

Happened recently on a WoW podcast in which they were talking about the new LFR loot rules they're bringing in. They got the wrong end of the stick (the wrong stick entirely) from the start and then started saying it was too complicated to understand and eventually dismissed the whole thing as being shit. I had to turn it off at that point because I was almost screaming into the headphonesangry.gif

Jeez. I know they regularly don't know what they're talking about on that podcast but...

Andrea Rene raging about ME3 micro transactions on this week's Weekend Confirmed is one of one of the most maddeningly uninformed things i've heard in ages.

Her position seemed to be that purchases were essential if you want to get on. It turned out that she pretty much hadn't even tried to earn credits in game.

Then it became clear she hadn't even read what she was paying for, and had no idea how any of them worked before shelling out.

:facepalm:

she gets a lot of stick, most of it is overly harsh, but she is usually the person on WE who knows the least. That said Garnett is not above making a tit of himself, and his Diablo rant was spectacular despite being well meaning.

Weekend Confirmed is probably my favourite podcast at the minute. Giant Bomb is just too cynical for its own good sometimes, 8-4 drags, WE has some good discussions and usually covers a decent range of games, often different from those everyone else is. This past couple of weeks though, Journey talk aside, it's been nothing but Mass Effect, even when they're talking about other topics it gets roped in. Understandable and I don't really begrudge it, but I know Garnett played and loved Binary Domain, and as no one else has mentioned that, or anything similar these past few weeks it'd be nice if he could have done

There's Joypod too, but they dont talk about games :awe:

I've got some time off work, if I an't be arsed catching up with WE then I'll bin it off.

I like Cane And Rinse but I don't listen every week, I just listen to the games I've finished or the ones I know I'll never play. Currently got the Limbo one on.

In case anyone's reading this that doesn't already know, C&R focus on one game or franchise per show and spoil the lot so it's more if you've finished the game. They also don't talk about the newest games out. Usually at least 6 months will go before they talk about a game.

Basically rather than everyone rolling against each other for the items on offer, you just roll against the game. Effectively everyone is given a scratchcard of sorts. If you win, you get something from the bosses loot table that your class can use.

It's all done automatically in the background so you won't get a choice to need or greed each item. You kill the boss, your roll happens in the background, and the loot gets plopped into your bag if you won.

It does mean that all 25 players could walk away with something, or no one does, but at least everyone has an equal chance of getting something. Sounds alot better to me.

That's interesting. I always felt pissed off when you had some cunt cloth wearer going for plate stuff or vice versa depending on what character I'm playing. I met some proper fucks playing WoW, if it weren't for the nice people you meet I'd of probably have dropped it for good.

I think I've come round to the opinion that Giant Bomb just shouldn't discuss anything they dont know 100% as fact. I don't blame them for no knowing the full details of Game, but a quick read of any news story about the situation, or even asking someone on their forum/Gaf, would have given them enough details

Aside from that though decent Bombcast this week

Their news section is usually a bit off and they don't claim to be a news site (aside from Patrick dipping his toes in somewhat) so I can forgive them for not being completely up to speed with the situation.

The main part of the show where they talk about what they've been doing/playing is as entertaining as ever though. At least they stopped fucking around with the cough buttons this week laugh.gif

• 1 month later...

Bombcast is a long but entertaining one. Adam Sessler is guesting, it takes then over an hour to get to what they've been playing.

I want "E3 Mysteries" to happen.

Also: the break tune in bombcast is the second best bit of music in gaming podcasts (the joypod theme being the best).

im only 1 hour 15 in but so far this is the worst bombcast I can remember. I bet they enjoyed recording it, but having never been to e3 or grown up in California it's wasted on me. And I dont think british food is that bad tbh

A shout going out to "Besties"; the new(ish) podcast from the guys over at The Verge Gaming/ Polygon.com - the McElroy brothers, Justin and Griffin riff almost as well as they do on their other podcast, "My brother, my brother and me".

The format is a presentation from each about what they consider to be the "best" game that week, followed by questions/ general ripping of said games by the rest of the hosts. They then choose the game of the week.

It's great :)

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/polygon-the-besties-podcast/id505516789

http://www.theverge.com/label/the-besties-podcast

im only 1 hour 15 in but so far this is the worst bombcast I can remember. I bet they enjoyed recording it, but having never been to e3 or grown up in California it's wasted on me. And I dont think british food is that bad tbh

Too much "back in the old days" talk :(