passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Wii Channels

Hendo

it'd be nice to think that was the reason, and not money making marketing.

Realistically? Console released in time for xmas, check. Online released a quarter later, check. A console's release is it's own hype, this dies down, hence why 'new' versions are released to bump up hype again.

Sadly I feel the real reason is that they will sell more consoles this way as there is always something 'on the horizon'. That and I don't think the service was ready for launch.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still say it's largely pointless, but it is kinda fun, and it'll be cool when more polls come in and you get more results.

So far I've only had one prediction result come in and of course I was spot on.

;)

Dogs are indeed more popular than cats (though I prefer the latter).

So, for those who don't have access to a Wii or an online Wii, here's a video of what you can expect.

Seeing as I was wondering what to do with the Polls of the Week as it's damn hard thinking new ones up every week, I've changed the name and now we'll add the ones from the Everybody Votes channel.

When a new poll comes up one of the admin will put it up and take down a poll that has had it's time up in the channel.

This gives non-Wii owners a chance to see what the polls are like and makes me not have to scratch my chin every sunday thinking a new one up.

As always this is an experiment, so if you don't like it, let us know and it'll go back to votes about Daddy or Chips.

(my favourite one so far!)

• 2 weeks later...

wiivo wrote:

Has anybody else got 100% accuracy? I have and have maxed out my thoughts and personality. I'm close to the town now, 39m away.

What's all this? I've only used Everybody Votes a couple of times. Maxed out? The town?

I was gonna bring this up tonight! Spooky.

After you've voted and predicted a few times, you start getting your stats taking shape. Go to Voter Data on the top menu of the channel and click on your Mii.

So far I've voted on everything there has been I think (15 votes), I have a record of 7 wins to 4 losses and prediction accuracy of 63.6%.

I got 245 points with nearly nothing on my Thoughts graph (figures...) and I'm a grand total of 444m away from popular opinion.

Go me.

• 1 month later...

New features:

- Parental Control support

- Optional Internet content filter provided by Astaro (available soon)

- Improved start-up speed

- Clearer text when zoomed-in

- Improved Wii Remote navigation

- Improved scrolling and zooming

- Built-in search via Yahoo! or Google

- Option to hide Toolbar

- New cursor animations and operation sounds

- Ability to view page security information

- Option to delete cookies

- Built-in support manual

Mine could play Youtube, it just took a fucking age :( I had a quick play with it before and it does seem faster, I like the new scrolling too. Other than that I cant say I've noticed much improvement yet, but I didnt especially hate the last version

My trial version worked fine.

I really like the little touches on the new one, especially the fact that it has a proper channel animated screen - not the most important of things but it entertains me.

The ammount of zoom in and out you can do is unbelieveable!

Everything about it is much better bar the fact that there's still no tabs, nothing major and I suppose it can be rectified in the future as Opera have already said that they'll make the odd update, probably mostly security updates but I reckon they could implement new features too.

Also, apparently you can use more than 1 wiimote - no idea why, but there you go.

Here's the list of "hidden" shortcuts on the browser.

B + Directional pad up: Refresh current page

B + Directional pad down: Favorites/Bookmarks

B + Directional pad left: Search current page

B + Directional pad right: Enter new URL (similar to address bar in your common browser)

B + (-) key : Go Back a page (similar to back button on your browser)

B + (+) Key: Go forward one page (similar to Forward button on your browser)

Nice one Hendo!

I tried out the new browser last night, and have to say, I'm super impressed with it.

Youtube works really well, and zooming in on the image almost makes for a perfect full screen viewing of your selected video (mine was Arcade Fire performing No Cars Go, live. Superb).

• 8 months later...
Nintendo America power-dresser Reggie Fils-Aime has said you will be able to download complete DS games on Wii and transfer them over.

He was chatting to the New York Times (well spotted, Kotaku) about the Everybody's Nintendo channel, which lets you shimmy content between the two consoles like demos, trailers and more.

It is the first time Nintendo has mentioned full games, however, although we can only stab like a murderer at what form they will take: GBA back catalogue or more up-to-date offerings?

For Fils-Aime it is a necessary avenue the platform holder has to explore as it seeks to increase its vast 50-million-plus audience around the world; in Japan users can already access guided tours in museums, and in the US baseball fans in Seattle could access statistics and videos at games using the DS, as well as order oversized food and drink.

"To aggressively drive DS business we need to provide other forms of entertainment to excite the consumer," declared Fils-Aime, probably still reeling after Wii Fit concluded he was a little chubby around the gills at E3.

Currently Nintendo UK has no plans to roll the service out here, which roughly translates to "it will take a while" - probably mid to late 2008, then.

Now that's a turn up!

Depending on the price, Mr Download Whore here may well be tempted.

I'm guessing that means an official Nintendo DS cartridge is on the way like the R4, minus the illegalness of it.

Hopefully this means downloadable Game Boy games on VC, with some of them transferable to DS. If this is as good as I hope, count me in.

The DS has long been able to download game demos from game stores, booths at gaming events, and even some airports. Now, Reggie Fils-Aime has revealed that Nintendo has plans to extend this functionality to offer full games via download.

Speaking to The New York Times, the president of Nintendo of America explained that in the future, the Wii and the DS will have a lot more inter-platform functionality. He gave the example of using the Wii to download games in manner akin to Xbox Live, and then using the wireless connection to transfer them to the DS.

The first game to make use of the wireless connection between the Wii and the DS will be Professor Layton and the Curious Village, a puzzle game due out February in the US. Gamers will be able to get new puzzles for the title via Wii downloads.

Reggie also hinted that Nintendo could be looking at bringing over some of the Japanese functionality of the portable--in Japan it is used, for example, to download guide content in museums. He said, "To aggressively drive DS business we need to provide other forms of entertainment to excite the customer."

Awesome! That will make Phooey very happy, and myself also.

Except our PAL Wii's won't be able to do it for some time I bet, despite having the US DS game.