passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Tomb Raider I-II-III Remastered

Maryokutai

Surprised this never got a topic. It's out tomorrow (on Valentine's Day, surely no coincidence), here's DF's analysis:

I was worried a bit this might turn out to be yet another flawed modern remaster but it seems pretty decent all-around. It has a very different atmosphere with the new visuals which depending on your preferences might either be a down- or an upgrade. Classic visuals seem limited to 30fps which is a bit odd but also an authentic way of portraying the game like people experienced it back in the day. You can switch between both in realtime with the press of a button à la Master Chief Collection and the settings for tank/modern controls are independent of the visual presentation. Also seems to hit each system's max resolution with ease at a constant 60fps with modern visuals.

I kind of want to pick it up right away but I promised myself to buy less and I also kind of have the feeling this will eventually see a physical release and I'd love to have a Switch cartridge with these. Guess I'll see wether my patience runs out first or not.

• Maryokutai changed the title to Tomb Raider I-II-III Remastered

Definitely seems like the right way to do remasters, something for purists and something for people who want something new

With all the yellow paint shit the other day, I was reading something interesting how games with complicated level designs like Tomb Raider are hard to get made now, so preserving these as they were is really appreciated

Gamecentral gave it a good write up (8/10) albeit noting:

"Our only real complaint with the remasters is that they offer absolutely no help when it comes to saving. There’s no auto-save system, or common remaster features like a rewind, and instead you just manually save whenever you want. That is how the PC version worked back in the day but it’s an unwelcome faff"

However IIRC that still sounds way better than the save point diamonds you'd periodically come across in the original PS games.

They could maybe have kept the crystal's placements as additional autosave locations, but manually saving really is the way to go in these games. The only issue I see with that is that it doesn't have a shortcut on consoles, which means opening and closing the menu quite often. I see their point, but for me that's just a minor QOL blemish.

• 1 month later...

Here's an interesting comparison video between the originals, the new remaster, and the RTX remix 

Even though the RTX is really nice, I think it looks like the worst version? But maybe that's just me 

Yeah, the RTX mod has no proper art direction and no visual purpose, it's just looking fancy for fancy's sake. The Remasters aren't perfect but at least they mostly recapture the atmosphere of the originals. 

There are certain bits where the RTX looks really nice. The water, the gun flash in the darkness. But a lot the scenes it seems to be too much and almost “wash out” the image.

But the original has nostalgia (for me that overall PS1 look than the game itself) and the remaster has better art assets and effects. 

If they could put the RTX mod on the remaster I bet that would look great.

The RTX mod is someone just injecting the library in to play around with it, it's clearly deducing some things wrong when it applies a reflect surface to snow

There are good RTX remasters, I contend that Half Life 1 RTX is the best one of them. Takes a lot of artistic liberties, but recasts the game as a modern looking horror game. It's clearly not the same thing, but it's a remaster which is clearly much more authored, and it's important to take that into account IMO when judging these videos cause this is more of a 'proof of concept' that RTX can be inserted in Tomb Raider in the first place, hence the inaccuracies and strangeness 

That said I generally agree that we should just embrace these games as they looked, with all their imperfections, and treat these as a fun alternate take