passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth

DANGERMAN

I've decided to stop trying to play this on the OLED. The performance mode was causing me headaches every single session, no matter how long or short, it would happen within half an hour. It just feels like wearing the wrong prescription, easily the weirdest experience I've had like that with a game's resolution but there's too much detail and too little pixels to not make it a strain

On my LED 1440 monitor, at quality mode, it looks and plays totally fine. Motion blends fine, detail is maintained, no eye strain. I recommend doing it this way if you have that option, or play on an LCD TV. Performance mode makes me sick anyway and it would ruin my time with this game

I have the whole team unlocked, the playable members anyway. Cait Sith is hard to get started with the gameplan of, feels like you have to use synergy skill with him to get him on the moogle. The UI of the synergy skill stuff is very hard to get into muscle memory, it's mapped in a very strange way (character 2 has an offense and defense move on square and circle, character 3 has them mapped to triangle and X).

edit nevermind, Cait Sith can fucking walk while casting spells. Game changer, sorry Aerith

This is such a good game it might enter into all timer territory for me, even with some of its issues. I don't know how they pulled this one off tbh. 

I'm not fully capable of being objective WRT things that are FFVII, and I can see some of this being baffling and tedious if you aren't heavily biased like that. But if you miss this type of complete feeling, giant feeling adventure story set across a huge varied setting with big character arcs, shonen-esque as they are, this is that game. And it's that game in spite of the somewhat generic framework it's built with, actually maybe because of it cause the Ubisoft style filler actually aids pretty well in discovering the complicated interactions between 7 party members and gives you time to take the setting in its huge magnificence. 

Like it's hard to see how someone who loves FFVII doesn't fall in love with this one, words I would never write about Remake. 

7 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

I did a few of those and thought I was good, but found Barrets theme too hard so I'm ignoring them now

Barrett finds piano hard, go figure 🤔

1 hour ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Like it's hard to see how someone who loves FFVII doesn't fall in love with this one, words I would never write about Remake. 

Probably not surprising but I’m the complete opposite. I went straight from OG VII into Remake and adored it.
I really hope this one eventually clicks like that for me.

Im definitely enjoying everything post Grasslands a lot more, apart from all the slow as fuck climbing! Not long met Yuffie and doing some side stuff. But I’m 15 hours into this and when I compare what I’ve done here to all the stuff which happens in the first 15 hours of Remake there’s no contest for me. People said Remake was bloated, it’s got nothing in this!  A couple if standout set pieces & odd brilliant moments of the my fave characters interacting. But apart from that its been riding chocobos through boring, blurry textured, stuttery landscapes for the majority.

Thankfully the combat has clicked again and I’m fucking loving that. Always looking forward to a fight. Especially boss battles. They’ve been amazing. 

The card game is basically:

- Your cards have a health pool (big number on the right top corner, if I recall)

- They also have a resource cost, signified by the pawns in the top left

- Then they have an area of effect, which are the yellow squares on the card art. This AOE puts new pawns on the board, so you should look at what else is in your hand, or think about what else is in your deck before putting one down

- Pawns are what let you place another card on the board, you can have up to 3 per space, adding pawns on existing ones or creating new spaces (most cards only create 1 pawn, but some do more) your pawns on the board must be greater than or equal to the card's resource cost

So basically it's about claiming space from your opponent, recognising that they can also turn your green pawns to red with the area of effect of their cards, while also trying to make sure you have enough combined health in the lanes that you 'win'.

Beyond that, a lot of the cards have unique gimmicks. Midgardsomr gets extra health every time a card dies. My deck is built around this, I murder opponents cards and even my own to feed the world serpent with their blood and souls. 

Queen's Blood is basically how you pace the activities in the early game, before reaching Gold Saucer and all that stuff. It's very fun and interesting to think about the deck building. Most of the game is in the deck building part tbh, once you have a solid deck you can sort of coast through a lot of games.

I’ve ranked up to level 5 of that. I was going to bin it off but there was an interesting cut scene after the last match so I need to know what happens now lol. I understand it but not really a fan. Far too much seems to rely on which order your cards come out. I can lose badly 4 matches then on the 5th my cards will come out just right and I’ll obliterate them to the point it wasn’t even a challenge. Meh. Another thing I’m in minority on though. 

Yea I just don’t care about deck building though. I haven’t even got that many different cards I can use so not sure what else I could do? So I’ll just bang my head against it. Or use a guide. 

At rank 5 you should have loads of cards, think I'm only one rank above you iirc. The wins come much more easily with less effort with a good deck

I realise 'gamer-splaining' things is annoying and patronising, so I'll leave it at this I guess, if you plan on sticking with QB then try and pick one powerful card (like a level 3 one) and see if there's a deck that can be built around its gimmick (like I did with the snake). imo, it will make things far less tedious than brute forcing it

Now I will stop, and only talk about how cool Cait Sith is 

edit apparently there are prebuilt decks too? No idea what they're like but could be interesting

I’ve bought 3 booster packs in Junon. And I’m still getting utterly destroyed. I’ll leave it til I’m forced to actually play it for that mission.

Queens Blood is utter shite, and I hate it.

Other than that, great game.

Concentrate on winning two rows... that's been my way of thinking up until now.

It's the Fort Condor mini-games that are proceeding to kick my arse now...😞

Tell you what, Chadley can shut the fuck up. He’s so bloody annoying. Literally do anything, and he’s got to drone on, and on. Cloud can’t go for a piss, without Chadley calling to go “Hey Cloud, this would be the perfect time to gather data for my Urine Boost Materia”. 

I’m just going to skip through all his dialogue from now on. He’s a right bell-end.

1 hour ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Yes if we're going to rage post about Fort Condor then you may have my megaphone 😿

Finally beat the bastards... wow that last one is a fucking doozy.

2 hours ago, Nag said:

Concentrate on winning two rows...

That’s been working well for me too. Get as far forward in 2 rows sacrificing the 3rd row  so they can’t put as many cards down. 

4 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

one powerful card (like a level 3 one)

I’ll give that a go too but my level 3’s don’t seem all that. I’ve got a 5 power Titan which I can turn into a beast with those buff cards but usually end up sacrificing too much in the other row(s) to make it worth doing. The second pre built deck did help a lot tbh. I used that one to get most of the way. 

2 hours ago, Nag said:

It's the Fort Condor mini-games that are proceeding to kick my arse now

Is that the same as in Crisis Core Reunion? I hated it there too. I’ll just use a guide to smash it off if so.