passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

mmmark

Yeah, the story has been weak.  Never a strong point or focus of the series but they didn't take any opportunity to do something different with each character.

Spoiler

It's especially silly when you get the Master Sword and everyone is still wondering what happened to Zelda and Link knows but he's standing there head empty, no thoughts.

They didn't craft the narrative in a way that works out of order, and that's encouraged.

I'm a bit lost at the moment but I've not got back on the main path but I think I'll get on it next time I play.  I'm ready to wrap it up.

The story beats this does add, actually create plot holes for the series as a whole.

1. Given how Ganondorf looks, I thought we were going back to Skyward Swords era. Except BOTW and TOTK are set at the end of the timeline. So that doesn't make sense. 

Spoiler

Zelda has no idea that Ganondorf and the (Calamity) Ganon from the last game are the same being??? So that doesn't make sense.

3. Wind Waker lore.

Spoiler

The Rito are the evolution of the Zora. A step to keep them out of the water and away from submerged Hyrule. Now we have both with no nod to the connection at all. 

4. Zonai.

Going back to point one, I thought these would be the people of Skyloft. Except I don't remember Groose looking like a Goat man?

So now, at some point between OoT (Because Ganondorf) and BOTW. There was a hyper advanced race that vanished without a trace or historical footnote. Until TOTK.

Spoiler

But then it has to predate OoT because of who Rauru is. Which means none of it makes sense...

5 hours ago, HandsomeDead said:
  Hide contents

It's especially silly when you get the Master Sword and everyone is still wondering what happened to Zelda and Link knows but he's standing there head empty, no thoughts.

They didn't craft the narrative in a way that works out of order, and that's encouraged.

yeah i agree, you can get the cut scenes in any order from the (story spoilers)

Spoiler

glyph/tear things so i knew about that from quite early in the game which makes some of the dialogue a bit silly

having said that i think the story bits are alright, i like that there's more story stuff than botw - although that wouldn't take much.

been playing this a lot and mostly really enjoying it, it's such a big game though, it's an odd situation for me that i'm mostly enjoying the extra stuff i'm doing. usually i'd mainline the story in a game this big, and i think it will be best to get the story done soon-ish then come back to do other stuff later or something. but there's so much i still want to do, not even explored the sky much, and there's still loads of places on the surface and underground unexplored. want to do some more fighting. do all the shrines. make some cool vehicles/contraptions. etc. etc. but not sure if it's going to drive me mad.

there's a lot of clothes to collect, which is cool but i sort of want the useful stuff, which i have bits and pieces of but am now starting to google where some bits are.

now i'm further in i've been watching some videos of cool stuff people are making, there's a lot of impressive stuff out there

been doing a lot more fighting now and it's much easier than at the start as i've loads of hearts, better armour and 

Spoiler

team mates now - who get in the way a bit, and won't stay where i want them but do help a lot especially keeping some bad guys distracted and lightning lady's special move is how i do most damage in a fight  

speaking of - later story spoilers - one of the only bits i've really disliked 

Spoiler

5th team mate

Spoiler

the bloody robot where it recommends you pilot it - it's rubbish and i did much better out of the robot (maybe i was equipping the wrong attachments) - the fight at the end of that bit was alright mind

i've found the boss battles in this pretty good, or at least much easier than in botw where i struggled with a few. i think botw made me engage with the combat more where this you can cheese it more, which i don't mind but i'd like to get better at the dodging which i was ok at in the old one. i think maybe the enemies have a bit too much health, making the fights last a bit too long sometimes, maybe i'm not fusing good enough weapons.

the shrines are generally easier too i think, enjoying them still mind, most stuck i've been is right at the start when i didn't know what a switch looked like and thought i needed a new power to do a shrine and left it till later to have another go and it was super easy. been enjoying the combat shrines too, favorite one was 

Spoiler

one of those where you start with nothing, it was like a race track, all the enemies following me as i was setting off traps for them - not sure i'm making it sound fun explaining it but i enjoyed it anyway

It's funny that Aonuma has said this format allows more creativity than the structure of previous games. Which may be true, except for the dungeons. Nothing I've seen or played in BOTW/TOTK is as imaginative as Stone Tower Temple in Majora's Mask. Or the time travel shenanigans of both Shadow and Spirit Temple on Ocarina of Time. 

17 hours ago, HandsomeDead said:

I kind of liked it being the same legend told and embellished in different ways.

True. I suppose that is how we got the Minish and the Gorons for that matter. Who do not exist in every Zelda.

So I decided to look into some of the "early game" Chasms that I just ignored for plot. Fought ..Team Rocket and in a real facepalm moment, discovered the last ability. I don't know why I discounted the last empty square as "nothing" for so long? It's both handy and not. More for utility than the practical ala Ascend, Grab etc It actually should make completing the underworld map a little less time consuming. Piquing my interest enough to ignore Hyrule Castle/Game Finale for now.

Meanwhile, in the underground

Approaching an unlit Lightroot, I spot an enemy. It looks big, very big. Too far away to tell what it is though. Then, as a question mark appears above it's head, I remember I have a camera with a zoom. By the time I've used the zoom of the camera, the question mark has become an exclamation and it is advancing. Fast.

The camera then informs me, this is a Lynel...😲

Cue Benny Hill theme 

Eventually, I put enough distance between us that I can activate the Lightroot and proceed beyond. That was my first encounter with one of those monsters. I didn't know they were in this game. Let alone, enhanced by the Gloom underground. I was not prepared, this time. Next time, I will be.

5 hours ago, Pikman said:

I didn't even go into a chasm yet, 30 hours in and only seen the over world areas. 

I keep meaning to, then get distracted and end up elsewhere.

When you do, just make sure you have Brightbloom Seeds. A lot of them.

Adventures in the underground

So when you stick to the high ground and definitely ignore the enemy camps. Mapping out the underground isn't so miserable. Early on, I got myself a skeleton horse (looking Metal AF) on one of the larger plains. As an aside, I haven't bothered with horses at all in this game until now. They are kind of redundant when Zonai vehicles exist?

Meanwhile, I completed a few side quests within also. Those floating cubes you might have seen on the overworld. Lead down to here. Most of the rewards seem to be clothing so far. But very useful stuff. I just ended my session picking up a body piece with Gloom resistance. Which will be handy getting the rest done. That said, I still think there is a lot of pointlessness to making the underground as large as it is. For objectively, not enough reward to offset the risk.

Ideally, I'd have preferred the scale of the Sky islands and underground to have been reversed.

Well the Fire Temple sure lived up to its reputation. That was tedious as fuck. 

I’ve got the last ability now as well, excellent timing just as I was getting a bit sick of making those small structures. A life saver when you accidentally drop a 10m long bridge in the lava too. Not that I did that… 

I’m still really enjoying this for the most part. The abilities are so much better and more interesting. Getting about is loads easier and faster which makes Hyrule not feel as dull and empty too. Now it’s still nowhere near a 10/10 for me, but it’s significantly better than BOTW IMO. I’m admiring it more than anything. I haven’t felt wowed or been blown away though. It’s just quietly impressive. I can still go far too long without managing to accomplish anything meaningful too. To the point it feels like a waste of time rather than an enjoyable experience. I realise this is something other people love about it though.

Performance is an issue as well. Don’t care what anyone says. Sure the fact they got this running on a Switch is impressive and at times it looks genuinely incredible. But then at other times the frame rate tanks for extended periods of time or worse of all when the screen goes all swimmy, blurry and out of focused to the point I couldn’t even see holes in cave walls it looked that bad. Usually only happens in dark interiors some reason. Really pulls you out of the experience when the locations can look so good at times but then Links stood there with a blurry texture on his armour. It’s not game breaking by any means it’s just really disappointing. Like BOTW though this all seems better in handheld mode, especially the caves issue. 

I’d love to see this on more powerful hardware & id genuinely take a game which looks like this but is able to do all this physics stuff without breaking but running at 1440p or above at a stable frame rate over something that looks as good as say Ratchet and Clank. 

Finally reached the 2nd temple (desert), 30+ hours in (I've completed Mario Odyssey twice in this time, haha).

I'm totally loving every minute, not once been bored, which is rare

I still haven't gotten underground, all of that still to do! I think I read somewhere there are shrines down there too but I'm yet to find out.

26 minutes ago, Pikman said:

I read somewhere there are shrines down there too but I'm yet to find out.

Pro-Tip: Before heading underground, find as many shrines on the overworld map as you can. It will be very useful to you later.

All lightroots got in the depths 💡 

I was going to mainline to the end but got distracted again.  But it's good that I did.  I realised I'd not done a massive amount in the sky so focused on that for a bit, and then happened across where I needed to be.  I may have missed something that clued me towards where I was meant to be because I was not expecting to find what I found.

Spoiler

So I've got the fifth spirit stone and another buddy.

I'm still kind of eager to hunt down rare materials.  Because while I have a fully upgraded Hylian armour set and have for a while I think I want to upgrade one of my special ones.  Maybe one of the classic tunics.  I have a few pieces of most of them, the Wind Waker set being the only one I have all of them but that they need star fragments to upgrade, which are so rare and appear by chance is frustrating.

^ nice one! think i've got 30 or so lightroots still to get, and about 30 shrines left too. 

explored the sky more recently and found some fun puzzles and stuff.

it's nice that you can find stuff out of order, in the main quest i got an objective and straight away it completed but i don't remember doing it.

finished the game the other day, the end was pretty good imo. but intend to carry on playing anyway.

fought a lighting gleeok but with only 

Spoiler

metal bows 

i was screwed, will come back to that later

edit - there's so much cool stuff people have made these are just the tip of the iceburg, been watching loads of youtube

Spoiler

I randomly ran into the King Ghidorah version of the Gleeok. I was wiped out quite quickly. Haven't been back there since.

Spoiler

No spoilers as to where that is. If you know, you know. Otherwise enjoy the surprise, like I did.

Trying to solve the side quests involving the Springs of Courage, Wisdom etc and randomly remembered the Great Fairies exist in this game. Something I noted (with a map pin) right when I first started playing and promptly forgot. I also liberated a town from pirates and am gradually realising I didn't finish as much of the side quests as I assumed. Also, my only upgrades now come as Heart Containers. I'm puzzled by the total number (I still haven't hit the second row).

After I wrap up my other ongoing side quest as a reporter. I think I'll turn my attention back to 

Spoiler

the Lost Woods

I'm assuming there is a solution or trigger to unlock the area? Then, I'll move on to the finale.

That's it for me, traded it in this morning. Just couldn't find much enjoyment in it, the world was nowhere near as entertaining as BotW, I was already bored of doing the same moves to the same Bokoblin and Bokoblin-esque enemies with similar weapons in combat. 

Whole game just felt like a massive chore devoid of fun to me once I reached Hyrule and explored more there really, the Sky Islands at the start were great and the Depths had potential but there wasn't enough there to keep me going. I knew this was a gamble as I loathed BotW at times too but the wonder of that world pulled me through, I don't find that same sense of wonder and exploration in this.

3 hours ago, DisturbedSwan said:

the world was nowhere near as entertaining as BotW,

That's a wild hot take there, Blakey! (I'd expect nothing less😉)

3 hours ago, DisturbedSwan said:

Whole game just felt like a massive chore devoid of fun to me

That's describing BOTW though... 🤷‍♂️

Not sure about the max hearts but a row is 20

oh yeah One floating island that was high and out of reach had 

Spoiler

King gleeok

i hadnt fought a normal one yet but did beat it in the end, after a few failed attempts, much hiding behind pilars, and too many wasted bomb arrows,

Spoiler

bomb arrows were not the best way it turns out the eyeball homing arrows were much better

6 minutes ago, spatular said:

Not sure about the max hearts but a row is 20

oh yeah One floating island that was high and out of reach had 

Hide contents

King gleeok

i hadnt fought a normal one yet but did beat it in the end, after a few failed attempts, much hiding behind pilars, and too many wasted bomb arrows,

Hide contents

bomb arrows were not the best way it turns out the eyeball homing arrows were much better

It was 32 or 33 I had by the end so still a way from all of them.

Spoiler

I never killed a Gleeok.  I was definitely on my way to doing so once but I didn't have many arrows and ran out when it had half health.  I figured next time I try I'm building a little robot to go in with me.

I've got it done anyway.  Hyrule is at peace once more.  I'll save the details but I was happy with the finale 🙂