passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Resident Evil Village🧟‍♀️

Nag

10 minutes ago, Nag said:

I don't know what he's doing but you certainly can't move that quick on console...

Aiming no but movement you should be able to. It’s a glitchless speedrun so it’s all legit 

I'm not technical enough to explain it but it seems in all these modern RE games frame rate is tied to hit boxes on attacks. So he is turning the frame rate up and down in close quarter areas so wild swings from enemies have less chance to connect, or if it does connect it doesn't do as much damage.

There's a similar thing they do in RE2 Remake speedruns where the first boss can get slaughtered with just the knife if the frame rate is high enough. Because as the knife hitbox passes through the boss more times at higher frame rates the game detects it as several hits instead of one. So the damage on it is crazy. Then they turn the FPS down after because it works both ways and they don't want to be caught out by enemies the same way. 

So when he says run through enemies I don't think he means that literally. 

I suppose it is a glitch. But I think it's viewed more as an exploitable loop hole in the mechanics rather than, oh I clipped through the wall, fell through the floor and look I'm at the final boss room. 

b0492ce7-608a-4860-ac64-5fa89687db7b.png

Done and done... Chris's segment was easily the hardest in the game but Miranda melted pretty quickly. Ran through the very beginning again afterwards to kill the big guy during the siege and to get the last crafting recipe and I think that'll probably do for me... I've no plans on speed running or knifing my way through the game.

Come on now Capcom let us know what's going on with the dlc.

The knife/speed run thing are both so far away from my usual play style that I just don't enjoy it... I like my achievements but I've started to draw the line on doing stuff that basically hurts the game for me nowadays.

• 4 months later...
On 14/06/2022 at 14:44, Nag said:

The third person mode is a really nice surprise, I'll definitely be giving that a try.

Yeah! That means I'll actually be able to play it.

• 4 months later...

Frustration!

I thought RE8 is bound to be a shorter game than Tactics Ogre Reborn. I'll try it first, as I'm more looking forward to TOR anyway. 

One 12GB initial download before I can even play the thing later...

The opening sequence. So far, still 1st person? @Nag did say it is still 1st person for cutscenes, so maybe that includes this? I check the menu. No option to toggle, yet. Maybe there is a threshold with a prompt? Nope. On the outskirts of the village. After a night time trek through snow and poorly lit crawling through a dilapidated shed, my eyes are starting to water. Still no view change option.

Nope. Because you see, the disc itself is the default RE8. Until you redeem the DLC code in the box. Of which the 3rd person mode is part of that bundle. Not just an option in the menu.  WTF?

By this point, I've lost patience and wished I played Tactics Ogre instead. Play session one abandoned after 10 minutes of messing around with a nearly 40GB download. 🤬

23 hours ago, Nag said:

Well the third person view was actually part of the Winters Expansion... ie dlc, follows that if there's a code included you'd need to redeem it.

My issue was the box says this is Resident Evil Village: Gold Edition. Except it isn't. The code is the "Gold Edition". Which as @mfnick says, is locked DLC. What if for example, the piece of paper with the code accidentally wasn't inside the case? No Gold Edition IE what you paid for, for you.

But I digress..

Session two was a lot more positive. Granted the section I just did was very derivative of RE4's opening. But now in 3rd person, I can play without discomfort. I imagine the hand bit is a more noticeable than purely in the cutscene in first person. But I wasn't quite expecting a lead character to be maimed. Especially out of the gate like that. It reminded me of a similar situation with the lead protagonist in the film 1917.

Oh and no, I didn't even attempt to fight the Troll with his hammer. I've played enough games to know a scripted event when I see one. Also to see a Vanguard/Stray Demon, a mile off.

16 hours ago, Nag said:

Then you'd get a refund like any normal person.

Not the point that was being made. If it says "Gold Edition" on the box. That should be what's on the disc. Not on a piece of paper inside the case.