passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Yakuza: Like A Dragon

AndyKurosaki

This. Is. Awesome!

Oh man, this just keeps getting better and better. Chapter 4 now. Ive not laughed out loud at a game so much for ages. 

Spoiler

The flying headbut out of the cardboard box, that amazing fight with Jo, the twist of getting shot, BJ, Pokem- sorry Sujimon, Hmmmmmmm...  Turncoat Tittulator & the fact he does a sexy dance to make me more impervious to status effects, Cravat-Wearing motherfucker, the transformations which have just started. 

Just wow, so many amazing moments already. Including some really serious sometimes heartfelt and thoughtful stuff like the homeless, immigration and brothel conversations. Looks great too, im loving exploring and talking to peeps. Nothing else matches stupid with serious as perfectly as these games do. 

Ive missed how my suit

Spoiler

suddenly became clean and lost a bullet hole

anyone care to divulge lol. 

Onto chapter 7 now. Still adoring it. 
Do I need to pay attention to the job and stock market stuff? Regarding jobs, it’s a weird mental thing for me but Kasuga is a DQ fan and therefore a hero, a lot of his story is around this, Adachi is a ex cop so that’s his job - just feels wrong to be changing their titles. I have changed Nanba to the breakdance style which is awesome but I felt ok about changing his.

As for the stock market, I actually like it but it’s a bit confusing and there’s so much other stuff I’m enjoying more I’m already struggling for time for it all.

Also the summons are incredible

I mostly stuck with the standard jobs, or moved to jobs without certain effects, like i think theres some kind of water and lightning attacks? I had a fire one and thats it. I get the impression that it might have been easier at the end if id had a full compliment of these different attack types but cant really confirm that, and other than a few enemies that took ages to kill, it wasnt too bad, but i did have to grind a bit.

I was wondering if I might need a more elemental build or something as some enemies are very resistant to regular attacks. Might check a couple just in case then buy sounds like I’m for the most part. Cheers. 

What about the business and stock market stuff? 

I'd suggest at least spending time getting your company in to the top 100, that way Eri joins your party (it's the only way she will)... I'm not spoiling anything by saying, I think at the end of chapter 7, you lose a party member for a few chapters... having Eri keeps your party at maximum members.

As for jobs, I have Kasuga still in the Hero job for his sweet AoE moves, Namba switched to the Musician, Saeko moved in to the Idol job to take care of healing duties, Adachi is an Enforcer (and also sidelined in my party) and Eri stayed in the Clark job but I think I'll switch her to Night Queen once her levels high enough... for obvious reasons.

Also when you can switch Kasuga to Demolition Expert this'll open up being able to smash down barriers and stuff in the dungeons and open world... it carries over to all jobs so you can switch straight back to what you like.?

I have Yakuza Kiwami in my library from when it was a plus title... maybe I'll end up giving it a shot.

If it doesn't have the stupid fantasy leanings I may find it a little lacking though.

I’m quite a bit through Chapter 10 now.

Firstly, thanks for the advice regarding doing the stock market stuff. I can imagine some of these sections could have been really hard without the 4th person. I also got a bit obsessed and ended up completing the stock market thing, I’d say it’s worth doing for the extra skills it gives you as they’re properly powerful as well as the dough. Only took me about 2-3 hours so worth it. 

Secondly.

Spoiler

Fuck Nanba. You cunt. Got Joon-gi Han now, he’s cool and got some great abilities.

40 hours in and only just realised I can swap party members during a battle *facepalm*. Even though I’ve gone to the “Etc.” Option a few times the tag out option just never registered. 

Only thanks to a optional battle requirement telling me not to swap that I realised. I’m a idiot. This changes everything. 

Part way through chapter 12

OMG

Spoiler

Goro Majima!!! Awesome, didn’t know he was in this.

Fantastic summon too :) 

That was by far the hardest battle I’ve had in this so far. Fitting for such a character. Can’t wait to see what happens next. 

Completed. All timer for me this, fucking adored it throughout my entire 60 hour (felt like 20) run time. Such a brilliant group of characters, can’t wait to see what’s next. 

Also, if this game isn’t for you. Please at least just check out the “essence of” attacks and Summons on YouTube. You won’t be disappointed. 

Quick resume has saved my bacon on this three or four times now... especially in the dungeons or extended cutscenes. You just need to remember to actually fully power down the system instead of using instant on as a game update will break the save state. Well useful.

I’m giving up on this to be honest. I’ve not played it in a month, and I feel little interest in returning to it. I just don’t like the grinding, and I cannot be arsed with battling through that boring management mode to make money.

This is the only Yakuza game I’ve ever given up on. But after struggling to enjoy it, I can’t be bothered with it anymore. Change is one thing. But I really don’t feel that Yakuza needed it. And though some people may like it, I unfortunately don’t.

I do think the series needed change but whether this was the right change is up to debate. I do recall feeling some fatigue while going through Y4 and not even picking up anything that came after.

I haven't played this one yet though but I've recently noticed it has dropped in price quite a bit already. Might pick it up sooner or later when I'm done with some backlog stuff.

Still not played this yet, admitedly I am waiting for the PS5 physical release but This is the first time since the Original PS2 game that I have not played a Yakuza title on or before its european Launch.

And while I am keen to play it, its theleast excited I have been for a Yakuza title, for my view it didnt need to go to RPG format, that market is already over saturated. But I hope to be plesantly Surprised.

I do feel had abit of Burnout on Yakuza series, after playing 3 Remastered I started 4 last year but didnt get beyond chapter 2, I think having played both Japanese releases of many of the games over the years then the UK releases which came out in such quick sucsession it was petty much the majority of my gaming between 2016 / 2018

But hoping slowing it down and not needing to play Japanese releases any more will put some freshness back into it for me.