passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Last of Us Part II

DisturbedSwan

One of Skill Ups criticisms was that one part of the game is unnecessarily long, and bloats the running time. Maf made the same point. And I have to agree as well.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate the game. But what I thought was going to be a sidetrack, has gone on for way, way longer than it should have done. Skill Up remarked that he was begging for the game to be over way sooner than it should. I don’t agree with that, nor with his “I didn’t enjoy the combat” remark. As there’s been some brilliant fights throughout the game.

But, it definitely could have done with some editing in that respect. Some people are going to go “For fucks sake, get on with it”. Not myself, as I’m still having fun. I can certainly see why people would think that though.

6 minutes ago, Maf said:

Oh, there’s a boss in this game @bellow you’re really going to enjoy. I think you more than most are going to get a lot of fun out of it. In fact I think you’re going to love it so much you are going to do it over and over and over again.

?

You mock. And yet I am the gamer who recently beat Dr Nefarious with only 8 attempts. And that guy is pure evil.

I wasn’t begging for the game to be over like Skillup but I was certainly begging for the game to get back to the bit that I care about. Also the game is so combat heavy. The fighting in this game is great and I always enjoyed it but it also gets very run of the mill and just too constant. The first day of the game is so beautifully paced but pretty much from day 3 onwards it is fight after fight after fight. I also don’t think it really evolves, either. So by the end it got to a point where I was like oh my god just let me past.

There are also some excellent combat scenarios and set pieces they do as well especially around the infected. But fighting dudes never really changes and once you’ve cracked the code it’s still fun, but loses a lot of tension and thrill.

Still on Day 1 ? think I’m about 16 hours in. 

The tension in this game is almost unparalleled. It’s kinda nuts how intense it is, it almost makes me feel sick at times it’s just so damn intense, in some of the spore locations I have to remind myself to breath as I’m holding my breath like I imagine Ellie is ?.

My heart was beating like a train throughout my session today as well, most of the hours I’ve put into it has been like that to some degree but today was just mad. It’s just crazy intense, the music does a really good job of ramping up a certain upcoming threat and it doesn’t let up. 

I almost needed a rest after I put the controller down just to catch my breath.

This game man, this fucking game Jesus fucking Christ, I can’t get that last section out of my head, I had to force the controller out of my hands. Skill Up was wrong about pretty much everything so far for me.

Day 1 spoilers

Spoiler

That whole TV station section was just absolutely extraordinary. As mentioned above it was just so damn intense, nothing much really happened but this game gives you such a distinct feeling of being behind enemy lines that when you hear the enemies approaching and shouting at one another it really feels like you’re under such intense pressure.

Then the bit after that just manages to up the tension even more somehow. That bit in the underground was just absolutely crazy good, some of the best most intense horror/survival/stealth gameplay I’ve ever experienced. I think they’ve probably taken a few cues from the Metro series too as it reminded me of that and managed to nail a similar claustrophobic breathless atmosphere. 

Pitting the Infected against humanity enemies was great in Left Behind and it was great again here. Just hiding behind a bit of cover, throwing a bottle, then watch a horde of clickers come and annihilate the WLF cunts was just so damn satisfying. 

Look, nobody hates this game. How weird.

I just learned when people do that cheap ass 'oh I'm walking away but let me just turn around randomly cause fuck you' you can just smash their face with a bottle and grab them. Now I always carry a brick with me.

Fucking aiming on survivor tho, seems they turn auto aim or aim adjust off or something. Maybe I'll turn that one back on lol

Brick and bottle is my go to with any human encounter. It’s the cheapest type of ammunition and can be used for different things. Also this game doesn’t have MGS5 reflex mode but you can close the gap on guards, even if they turn around and see you for a second and still grab them before they alert people.

How did that guy do that dive backwards in that gif? I know you can run and dive for cover but I never knew you can jump on your back.

I worked it out, you hold L1 and hold circle in a direction

(I am streaming this again now but I am a very slow player so this is probably boring, day 2)

Spoiler

I feel like this game hits some spots where it looks incredible and then others where it looks very unremarkable.

I think it's the art that carries it mostly. It's not like super inconsistent or anything but just noticeable enough

Think I’m probably approaching the end game, the way things are going. For all the hate that part of the game is getting (ie the section Sony didn’t want reviewers talking about), I call bullshit on it. Because there’s been some truly epic moments throughout that part of the game. From emotional events, to chaotic battles, it’s been pretty fun.

The combat has remained fun throughout. From setting infected against soldiers, to twatting people with a fireaxe, or petrol bombing people in my way. 

Does it have flaws? Yes, sure. But 22 hours in, and I’m still having fun with it. So that’s all that matters.

Made my way to the hospital on day 2. Don't know if I was supposed to, because it was rather difficult, but I killed every single one of those 

Spoiler

whistling

fuckers. And I mean every single one!

Saw so much on that last session. And I really went for it - nearly 4 hours, and I very rarely do that. Dealt with some new infected, a piddling little environmental puzzle, but that last section before the hospital could be the best piece of stealth/action gameplay I've ever encountered in a video game.

I can't wait to get to the bit that ruins everything ?

Started my collectibles run through and finished day 1. Still took about 5 hours and that was knowing what to do and skipping cut scenes. I also still died in places I died the first time just in case I needed more evidence I’m the stupidest video game player. Fun, though!

Looks like I only missed one non-collectible related trophy on my first play through early game spoilers

Spoiler

Dinosaur 

And looks like I only missed one safe as well. Everything else I have to do is just get 100% of stuff so this is going to take

some number of days ?

There was but I don’t have that option any more + there’s also getting all the supplement and weapon part upgrades as well.

Jeez I’m even dying in places I didn’t die last time. Can’t stay alive in video games can’t die in real life someone is mocking me

Finished the game. I definitely feel that the first one is the better game, certainly story wise. There never felt like there was a tangent. Whereas Part 2 could easily have trimmed a good 5 hours off the running time.

That’s not to say its a bad game. Far from it. I had fun with it. And will probably try another run-through to clear up the collectibles I missed. But the originals story just felt tighter, there wasn’t a part where I thought “Where is this going?”. 

Some asshole, forgive the language, at work spoiled a certain moment for me yesterday. I'm pretty sure it's a rather pivotal scene for the entire game, which means by extension he might possibly have spoiled the entire game for me and not just that one moment. After avoiding comment sections, topics like this one and even avoiding youtube videos with "last of us" in it to make sure the algorithm doesn't show me something spoiler-y, it just happens like that. One dumb idiot talking about the wrong thing at the wrong time.

I did start playing it later in the evening. That way I can try to get through it until I hear more than I want. I might know the "what" but I don't know the how yet, at least not entirely, so there's a tiny bit of mystery left. I'm really pissed though and just thinking about makes me want to hit him over the head with something big, hard and durable.

I managed to avoid all spoilers before playing the game. Which isn’t easy these days. 
Ive avoided saying anything specific here, even using spoiler tags. 
I hate when people feel the need to spoil stuff for other people. It’s just a dick move.

At the point I’m at, I’ve only had maybe two story moments that might be considered spoilers. Some way through day 3, so don’t open spoiler tags if not that far yet:

The beginning where Joel gets murdered and later where it gets revealed that Ellie knew that he had saved her but killed humanity.

I could be wrong and there’s been more that I haven’t picked up on or forgotten, but personally I wouldn’t feel like it wasn’t worth playing if I knew those already going in.

It’s a fine game at this point and a good story, but it really suffers from the length. I felt the same way about Uncharted 4.